jasonsmith

Recommend a permanent low sheen sealer

I'm getting back into leather, and plan to try and sell pieces. When I did this years ago as a personal hobby, I bought a bunch of different sealers, i.e. Roseline, Angelus, and Eco-Flo, etc.  I was interested in low sheen as I don't like leather that looks like plastic. I use Feibing's Pro Oil dye.

I found there are a lot of satin sheens, etc. that come out high gloss. And some that would sometimes come out high gloss or satin. So those would be inconsistent and thus unusable.

Anyways, years ago I ended up settling on Eco-Flo Satin Sheen as it was the most consistent of the ones I bought at the time. Though I read that Eco-Flo isn't considered that durable compared to other products.

Can anyone recommend satin sheen sealers that are consistent, i.e. easy to get a smooth satin sheen on a 12"x12" piece of leather, and that are durable as it will never be messed with again? As I'll be putting in grommets and spots, so this will be permanent and I want it to have at least water resistant properties, so that makes me think something along the lines of acrylic. I know there are some things that people rub in every so often, but this would need to be permanent where the customer wouldn't ever mess with it.

I figured I'd try to get it narrowed down some so I don't have to buy as many different brands to run tests on.

Thanks

If you only use one coat . . . you might try a product called Mop and Glo . . . it is made for kitchen floors.

Some old timers used it in a 1 to 1 thinning with common tap water . . . dipped it . . . and when it dried . . . you were done.

From what I was told years ago by one of the earlier members here . . . Katsass . . . it worked very well . . . was less expensive than others . . . and only got serious with the shine if you added multiple coats.

Worth  a try anyway.

May God bless,

Dwight

3 hours ago, Dwight said:

If you only use one coat . . . you might try a product called Mop and Glo . . . it is made for kitchen floors.

Some old timers used it in a 1 to 1 thinning with common tap water . . . dipped it . . . and when it dried . . . you were done.

From what I was told years ago by one of the earlier members here . . . Katsass . . . it worked very well . . . was less expensive than others . . . and only got serious with the shine if you added multiple coats.

Worth  a try anyway.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks, but I'm going to stick with traditional leather sealers like Feibing's, Angelus, or Eco-Flo, etc. I think acrylic is probably what I'm going to end up going with due to weatherproofing, though not sure what else may be out there as it's been 10 years. I'm looking at starting to sell pieces and so wanted to do some research on a more durable sealer, if there is one that stays satin.

I used Eco-Flo satin sheen 10 years ago when I did this as a hobby for a while. Not sure if the Angelus matte or satin sealer maintains a satin sheen and is more durable, or if there is something by Feibing's. As I know there is stuff in the spray cans, but hoped to get some suggestions so I can buy say 3 to try out instead of 10.

Funny you come and ask for an alternative to what you been doing and we give you one and you say thanks but no thanks I stick with what I've done :crazy::dunno:

9 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

Funny you come and ask for an alternative to what you been doing and we give you one and you say thanks but no thanks I stick with what I've done :crazy::dunno:

I used Eco Flo Satin sheen last time I made a bunch of leather products as I did some testing at that time and went with that one. There are lots of different sealers like Angelus satin finisher, etc. for sale at leather supply shops. Looking to see what permanent satin sheens people have used that don't look like plastic and are consistent in application. i.e. easy to get a satin sheen every time as some are finicky in how glossy it looks.

It's been a while since I've messed with it and had planned to buy some different sealers when I order more dye to do some testing as I didn't really want to buy like 8 different kinds just to find most of them end up being high gloss.

I'm not putting floor polish on a piece of leather and never asked about floor polish but asked about leather sealer. I had assumed we'd all be talking about sealers you can buy at leather supply shop instead of at a grocery store.

9 hours ago, jasonsmith said:

I'm not putting floor polish on a piece of leather and never asked about floor polish but asked about leather sealer. I had assumed we'd all be talking about sealers you can buy at leather supply shop instead of at a grocery store.

The mop and glo solution he suggested is used by tons of folks nowadays you really must have been gone a while. Its an acrylic sealer just as most of the modern "leather " sealers and works the same. But you can pay more at the leather store if you feel the name on the bottle changes its properties.

good luck.

11 hours ago, jasonsmith said:

As an example, I've used a water based wood lacquer/varnish on leather in place of ' Neat-Lac'  as its no longer available here in Oz, or anywhere else for that matter, and it worked !! . So sometimes you have no choice but to experiment with other products and adapt .  You'd be surprised what works on leather. 

HS

38 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

The mop and glo solution he suggested is used by tons of folks nowadays you really must have been gone a while. Its an acrylic sealer just as most of the modern "leather " sealers and works the same. But you can pay more at the leather store if you feel the name on the bottle changes its properties.

good luck.

I looked around and see some mention that stuff cracking. But anyone is free to use what they want. But I'll stick with sealers sold at leathershops as I plan to sell pieces and so wouldn't even want to risk a complication by using floor sealer. Also, sealer goes a long way, so don't even see the reason to use a floor product. The expensive part is the dye.

I looked around and see I tried Angelus Matte finisher back then also, but found it to be too glossy like plastic. I'll probably look at just sticking with Eco Flo Satin Sheen for the time being

I also noticed disclaimers on websites of these acrylic sealers saying if they get frozen during shipment, then they are ruined.

2 minutes ago, jasonsmith said:

I looked around and see some mention that stuff cracking. But anyone is free to use what they want. But I'll stick with sealers sold at leathershops as I plan to sell pieces and so wouldn't even want to risk a complication by using floor sealer. Also, sealer goes a long way, so don't even see the reason to use a floor product. The expensive part is the dye.

I looked around and see I tried Angelus Matte finisher back then also, but found it to be too glossy like plastic. I'll probably look at just sticking with Eco Flo Satin Sheen for the time being

I also noticed disclaimers on websites of these acrylic sealers saying if they get frozen during shipment, then they are ruined.

You know folks on the forum here don't sit around wasting their day trying to answer questions just so they can mislead people. You asked the question and that man with much more knowledge and experience tried to help you.

What's really silly on your part is you've never used it, never even heard of it being used but you have a negative opinion based on ???? 

Any acrylic sealer will crack if used improperly and as well most of us sell pieces, your not different by any means nor will your products be, but your right you can use anything you want its your money friend or your customers more likely, you can charge more for your work to cover the cost of buying at a hobby shop.

13 hours ago, jasonsmith said:

And copping an attitude gets you put on the 'Ignore' list. These people have a couple hundred years combined experience. When you ask folks a question maybe listen to what they tell you.

And for the record, I don't know of ANYTHING that is 'forever' like you are looking for.

30 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

You know folks on the forum here don't sit around wasting their day trying to answer questions just so they can mislead people. You asked the question and that man with much more knowledge and experience tried to help you.

What's really silly on your part is you've never used it, never even heard of it being used but you have a negative opinion based on ???? 

Any acrylic sealer will crack if used improperly and as well most of us sell pieces, your not different by any means nor will your products be, but your right you can use anything you want its your money friend or your customers more likely, you can charge more for your work to cover the cost of buying at a hobby shop.

What exactly is your issue? I asked for suggestions on satin sealers, specifically sealers sold at leather shops. Someone responded suggesting I use floor sealer. I responded politely that I wasn't interested in using floor sealer, but was going to stick with traditional sealers sold at leather shops.

Why do you think I'm obligated to go to the store, buy floor sealer, and smear it on a piece of $25 leather to check out? Why is it silly that I've never used floor sealer on a piece of leather? My position is people can use whatever they want. Are you sponsored by Mop and Glo? Sounds like gatekeeping.

Edited by jasonsmith

18 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

And copping an attitude gets you put on the 'Ignore' list. These people have a couple hundred years combined experience. When you ask folks a question maybe listen to what they tell you.

And for the record, I don't know of ANYTHING that is 'forever' like you are looking for.

What attitude? I appreciate suggestions, but my obligation is to decide for myself. I politely declined using a floor sealer on my leather as I am going to stick with traditional sealers made for the purpose. Then a couple of other people decided to wreck my thread stopping by just to criticize me because I declined to buy Mop and Glo and pour it on an expensive piece of leather. Sounds like gatekeeping. People can use whatever they want.

I don't get upset if someone decides not to use a product that I think is the correct one to use. This is like someone getting upset because I use Feibing's Pro Oil dye instead of vinegroon for my black. I just don't see the point in trying to brow beat me into buying Mop and Glo. Is it a sponsor of the forum? I know some forums like to gatekeep on what products you use to those that are sponsors of the forum.

8 minutes ago, jasonsmith said:

Why do you think I'm obligated to go to the store, buy floor sealer, and smear it on a piece of $25 leather to check out? Why is it silly that I've never used floor sealer on a piece of leather? My position is people can use whatever they want. Are you sponsored by Mop and Glo? Sounds like gatekeeping.

Your not silly because you haven't "smeared" floor sealer on leather, your silly because you don't know shit about it but you blew it off. 

I used silly as way to be nice, because i wanted to say your really ignorant about acrylics in general not just leather sealers and your showing your ignorance to everyone here. I really don't give a crap what you smear on your leather.

I also said don't waste peoples time, if you don't want a answer don't ask a question, search the forum most of us trying to make a living too. 

17 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

Your not silly because you haven't "smeared" floor sealer on leather, your silly because you don't know shit about it but you blew it off. 

I used silly as way to be nice, because i wanted to say your really ignorant about acrylics in general not just leather sealers and your showing your ignorance to everyone here. I really don't give a crap what you smear on your leather.

I also said don't waste peoples time, if you don't want a answer don't ask a question, search the forum most of us trying to make a living too. 

You came into my thread, not to add to the discussion, but just to lob insults at me because you are upset because you saw that I declined to use an alternative product that you appear to be passionate about. I see the same thing in auto forums regarding people getting upset because they see someone decide not to use their favorite motor oil. So weird.

And my "ignorance" as you call it is one reason why I'd want to stick with traditional leather products instead of venturing off into using house products. You can use whatever you want to seal leather, just stop pouring it on your pancakes.

Edited by jasonsmith

I’ve never tried mop and glow only because if I didn’t like it that would mean I’d have to mop a floor, and that ain’t happening. I know a lot of people do use it and are happy with the results, I’ve heard of using it 15-20 years ago.

Jasonsmith you have been a member for 3 years and a couple of day, stop what you are doing with the tude, step back and let a couple of GOOD FRIENDS tell you how this request for knowledge went sideways. 

I've been doing leather for 52 years and I would always buy my supplies at a leather shop. My dogs got hold of my belt hole template and I needed a new one, Tandy had em for $48 and the hour drive there was way out of what I was willing to spend. So I made one out of an old 6X6 cedar post, which also made 2 tool holders and it just cost my time to make these items. Then I made half round cutters in various diameters. I started mixing different color dies just to see the outcome. I've used wood stain to dye leather a medium to light medium brown. 

Just because you don't want to move outside of your comfort is the same reason some of your work won't improve. It's like voting in the village idiot and expecting him to do better than he did his entire life, even when it's pointed out that idiot is a puppet the folks that think he got in by his own merits won't listen to facts and get mad at those who point out the obvious!

go to a dollar general, get a small bottle of mop and glow and start experimenting with different dilutions, use scrap leather to test the outcomes! Start with one ounce substance to one ounce water, if you want less add an extra half ounce. If it's not enough of what you want to accomplish add half an ounce of substance. Hell I think black dye is expensive so I'm playing with vinegar and iron until I'm satisfied with the color! 
Now go blow your nose and apologize for being an ass to Chuck! Also stop voting blue! 

Edited by Doc Reaper
Grammer and backhanded insults

2 hours ago, Doc Reaper said:

Jasonsmith you have been a member for 3 years and a couple of day, stop what you are doing with the tude, step back and let a couple of GOOD FRIENDS tell you how this request for knowledge went sideways. 

I've been doing leather for 52 years and I would always buy my supplies at a leather shop. My dogs got hold of my belt hole template and I needed a new one, Tandy had em for $48 and the hour drive there was way out of what I was willing to spend. So I made one out of an old 6X6 cedar post, which also made 2 tool holders and it just cost my time to make these items. Then I made half round cutters in various diameters. I started mixing different color dies just to see the outcome. I've used wood stain to dye leather a medium to light medium brown. 

Just because you don't want to move outside of your comfort is the same reason some of your work won't improve. It's like voting in the village idiot and expecting him to do better than he did his entire life, even when it's pointed out that idiot is a puppet the folks that think he got in by his own merits won't listen to facts and get mad at those who point out the obvious!

go to a dollar general, get a small bottle of mop and glow and start experimenting with different dilutions, use scrap leather to test the outcomes! Start with one ounce substance to one ounce water, if you want less add an extra half ounce. If it's not enough of what you want to accomplish add half an ounce of substance. Hell I think black dye is expensive so I'm playing with vinegar and iron until I'm satisfied with the color! 
Now go blow your nose and apologize for being an ass to Chuck! Also stop voting blue! 

I've been a member for 13 years. I've not been an "ass" to anyone. I'm the one who started this thread. I'm not using Mop and Glo, never will. I've already got a new bottle of Eco Flo Satin sheen that I'll be using unless I come across another true satin sheen sealer when I order more dye.

If you mix a small amount of talcum powder into the sealer it reduces the shine. eg, in a satin sealer it makes it more matt. By how much talc you put in you can control just how much a satin finish  you end up with

Hey @DocReaper I vote blue! why am I being offended here? Hmm?

But the rest, the issue @jasonsmith is more that there is no need to be rude.  Everyone here has their own way of doing things and disagree every so often. We communicate in a friendly, polite way, not like  recalcitrant teenagers. You don't have to do what people suggest here but you don't have to knock the suggestions down the way you did. Most of the people here have decades of experience. I am a newbie too and respect that experience. You should try that sometime.

Back to the topic, @fredk what talc do you use? Any plain talcum powder? Like baby powder? 

5 hours ago, jasonsmith said:

You came into my thread, not to add to the discussion, but just to lob insults at me because you are upset because you saw that I declined to use an alternative product that you appear to be passionate about. I see the same thing in auto forums regarding people getting upset because they see someone decide not to use their favorite motor oil. So weird.

And my "ignorance" as you call it is one reason why I'd want to stick with traditional leather products instead of venturing off into using house products. You can use whatever you want to seal leather, just stop pouring it on your pancakes.

You shut down the discussion with your second comment , re read it, here I'll be glad to re post it for you "  Thanks, but I'm going to stick with traditional leather sealers like Feibing's, Angelus, or Eco-Flo, etc."   

That means no one need offer any more suggestions doesn't it. 

I came in your thread to try and help you to understand why Dwight said what he said. Acrylic floor wax is a much used and actually quite good sealer in the leather craft world if your to hard headed or just plain stupid to understand that I don't much care. I don't come on here to screw with people or to run them up some bullshit tree neither does anyone else, Dwight tried to help you so did I. Have a great day!! 

@SUP Any talcum powder, but make sure its talcum powder, either real or artificial

@fredk Thank you. I will look for that. 

2 hours ago, SUP said:

But the rest, the issue @jasonsmith is more that there is no need to be rude.  Everyone here has their own way of doing things and disagree every so often. We communicate in a friendly, polite way, not like  recalcitrant teenagers. You don't have to do what people suggest here but you don't have to knock the suggestions down the way you did. Most of the people here have decades of experience. I am a newbie too and respect that experience. You should try that sometime.

Back to the topic, @fredk what talc do you use? Any plain talcum powder? Like baby powder? 

Copy and paste what comments I made that you are calling "rude". I've been nice and polite. Here's my initial response. I think I was friendly:

"Thanks, but I'm going to stick with traditional leather sealers like Feibing's, Angelus, or Eco-Flo, etc. I think acrylic is probably what I'm going to end up going with due to weatherproofing, though not sure what else may be out there as it's been 10 years. I'm looking at starting to sell pieces and so wanted to do some research on a more durable sealer, if there is one that stays satin.

I used Eco-Flo satin sheen 10 years ago when I did this as a hobby for a while. Not sure if the Angelus matte or satin sealer maintains a satin sheen and is more durable, or if there is something by Feibing's. As I know there is stuff in the spray cans, but hoped to get some suggestions so I can buy say 3 to try out instead of 10."

2 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

You shut down the discussion with your second comment , re read it, here I'll be glad to re post it for you "  Thanks, but I'm going to stick with traditional leather sealers like Feibing's, Angelus, or Eco-Flo, etc."   

That means no one need offer any more suggestions doesn't it. 

I came in your thread to try and help you to understand why Dwight said what he said. Acrylic floor wax is a much used and actually quite good sealer in the leather craft world if your to hard headed or just plain stupid to understand that I don't much care. I don't come on here to screw with people or to run them up some bullshit tree neither does anyone else, Dwight tried to help you so did I. Have a great day!! 

My question to others was which sealers that are sold at traditional leather shops have a satin sheen that is consistent to apply? Other than Eco Flo Satin as I have that. As I was placing an order for more dye and wanted to try another satin sheen. I did try Angelus Matte in the past that was too shiny and plastic looking. It's possible there isn't any other. 

I'm not using floor cleaner on my leather. It doesn't matter how much you want to whine about it. It's never gonna happen. Since you want to keep lobbing insults and keep trying to bully me into using Mop and Glo. I want you to stay out of any threads I start. Go cry in someone else's thread. Are we clear on that? 

And I've read many people who say to avoid using Mop and Glo on leather with problems of it cracking. I'm not using it, stop talking about Mop and Glo. It's like dealing with a child who doesn't know what "no" means.

3 hours ago, SUP said:

Hey I understand you got offended and why, but I can't understand WHY!! I don't respect those that are thrown different methods that are tried and tested, and shoot em down without a consideration y'all want some different outcome but keep using the same methods that give ya a sorry outcome. Respect goes both ways, now come up for air on that respect issue

Edited by Doc Reaper
???