jasonsmith

Recommend a permanent low sheen sealer

15 hours ago, jasonsmith said:

For the last time, I'm not using Mop and Glo.

Personally I don't use ANY of the acrylic garbage on my leather. Nor do I put varnish on good wood. But you choose to use it, fine. But acting like a petulant child when a dozen people have recommended M&G as opposed to the same thing in a different bottle just makes you look foolish. With that, I will put you and your petulance on the Ignore list. Life is too short to deal with pigheaded foolishness.

1 hour ago, Mablung said:

I've been reading this for the amusement factor.

I think I'll give Mop & Glo a try.

I find it interesting how conditioned folks are to consumerism and the illusion presented that you don't have to think at all you just blindly accept what the "expert", paid actor, on tv is telling you. Pt Barnum said there is a fool born every minute, Big business ran with that thought.

1 minute ago, chuck123wapati said:

I find it interesting how conditioned folks are to consumerism and the illusion presented that you don't have to think at all you just blindly accept what the "expert", paid actor, on tv is telling you. Pt Barnum said there is a fool born every minute, Big business ran with that thought.

It really is.  My first thought, when reading some of the replies about different products, was, "Well, there aren't that many different ways to create an acrylic sealer that can be buffed to become shiny.  Just look at the ingredients and see if the tiny bottle contains the same stuff in roughly the same proportions as the big bottle, then use the stuff in the big bottle for a fraction of the price-per-ounce.  Bada bing, bada boom."

But then, there is no accounting for taste.  Or for the tendency of people to insist something is true if and only if a supposed expert says it.

3 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

Personally I don't use ANY of the acrylic garbage on my leather. Nor do I put varnish on good wood. But you choose to use it, fine. But acting like a petulant child when a dozen people have recommended M&G as opposed to the same thing in a different bottle just makes you look foolish. With that, I will put you and your petulance on the Ignore list. Life is too short to deal with pigheaded foolishness.

Do you put Mop and Glo on your pancakes? So funny how many people act like children just because I turned down using Mop and Glo as I wanted to stick with traditional sealers sold a leather shops. I think some people here have been drinking it. If anyone is upset because I'm not using your favorite product, then best keep that to yourself than come here whining about it like a baby.

The chap does not want to use Mop & Go

Now, of the regular leather shop sealers which meets his needs?

tbh, all the ones I have dry matt or with a slight sheen, never a high gloss. It might be because I apply sealer diluted

7 minutes ago, fredk said:

The chap does not want to use Mop & Go

Now, of the regular leather shop sealers which meets his needs?

tbh, all the ones I have dry matt or with a slight sheen, never a high gloss. It might be because I apply sealer diluted

Thanks, yeah, just don't get why people want to keep harassing me page after page just because I opted not to use Mop and Glo. Maybe I should start another thread on this topic with this disclaimer: "Not interested in Mop and Glo, don't mention it. I'm sticking with products that are supposed to be used on leather".

1 hour ago, jasonsmith said:

Thanks, yeah, just don't get why people want to keep harassing me page after page just because I opted not to use Mop and Glo. Maybe I should start another thread on this topic with this disclaimer: "Not interested in Mop and Glo, don't mention it. I'm sticking with products that are supposed to be used on leather".

Then if you use ANY liquid sealant you're just using repurposed, more expensive Mop & Glo.  That's the ridiculous part, but you just refuse to listen.  The MSD sheet, which is the ingredient list, is nearly identical.  

You choose to believe the internet about it cracking.  Which no one here seems to have experienced.  But refuse to believe any of the positive experience here.  I'll take a stab at it that as many folks here have positive experiences as the number of negative one's you have encounters on the net.  And if I had to guess the cracking is from two reasons, either applying without diluting or cheap leather.  FWIW, I've had dedicated sealant crack when applied full strength.  But mostly I've had cheap leather that cracked.  

I'm guessing you don't use generic medicine either?  

I guess you've picked your side and refuse to even consider changing.  OK.  But our suggestions meet the criteria of your first post.  And meet it better than ANYTHING else I have used.  Which is why I use it.  You changed your initial criteria as soon as M&G was mentioned, even thought it meets what you wanted initially.  I mean, you get to do that.  And I get to think your obstinance is silly and unnecessary if you would try to listen to those more experienced than you.  Which is what we thought you wanted.  Guess we were wrong there.  

I use Resolene cut 50% with distilled water. I use an airbrush to apply it. 2-3 light coats is usually good and the leather has a nice glow. Now if I were to go several more coats or go heavy with them then yes, it looks like it’s plastic coated to me and looks awful. But I’ve been doing it this way for years and everyone seems to like the finish. Would mop and glow be the same? Who knows, I really don’t care myself. I’m just using what I’ve been doing for years and don’t foresee changing things up now.

3 hours ago, chiefjason said:

Then if you use ANY liquid sealant you're just using repurposed, more expensive Mop & Glo.  That's the ridiculous part, but you just refuse to listen.  The MSD sheet, which is the ingredient list, is nearly identical.  

You choose to believe the internet about it cracking.  Which no one here seems to have experienced.  But refuse to believe any of the positive experience here.  I'll take a stab at it that as many folks here have positive experiences as the number of negative one's you have encounters on the net.  And if I had to guess the cracking is from two reasons, either applying without diluting or cheap leather.  FWIW, I've had dedicated sealant crack when applied full strength.  But mostly I've had cheap leather that cracked.  

I'm guessing you don't use generic medicine either?  

I guess you've picked your side and refuse to even consider changing.  OK.  But our suggestions meet the criteria of your first post.  And meet it better than ANYTHING else I have used.  Which is why I use it.  You changed your initial criteria as soon as M&G was mentioned, even thought it meets what you wanted initially.  I mean, you get to do that.  And I get to think your obstinance is silly and unnecessary if you would try to listen to those more experienced than you.  Which is what we thought you wanted.  Guess we were wrong there.  

I didn't "change" my criteria after Mop and Glo was mentioned. I've only used sealer bought from a leather shop and wasn't aware of people using floor cleaner to seal leather. I only "clarified" my criteria after being suggested to use floor cleaner. 

I've not "refused" to believe anyone. People can have positive or negative experiences, it doesn't change the fact that I have no interest in experimenting, especially when we are talking about sealing $40 worth of leather and dye. Others can experiment.

Mop and Glo can share a similar substance with another product, but that doesn't automatically mean that they can be substituted for each other. I see Mop and Glo has fragrances and other things added to it. I'd call that contamination for purposes of sealing leather. At the end of the day, is it enough to matter? Well that's for others to figure out.

The question is, if someone gave you a free bucket of Resoline or Eco-Flo Satin Sheen, etc. would you be willing to clean your floor with it? Yes or no? Why don't you give it a try and let us know how it turns out? Buy a bottle and dump it in the middle of the floor and clean it and let us know how it turns out? This argument goes both ways. Make sure to take pictures.

53 minutes ago, jasonsmith said:

I didn't "change" my criteria after Mop and Glo was mentioned. I've only used sealer bought from a leather shop and wasn't aware of people using floor cleaner to seal leather. I only "clarified" my criteria after being suggested to use floor cleaner. 

I've not "refused" to believe anyone. People can have positive or negative experiences, it doesn't change the fact that I have no interest in experimenting, especially when we are talking about sealing $40 worth of leather and dye. Others can experiment.

Mop and Glo can share a similar substance with another product, but that doesn't automatically mean that they can be substituted for each other. I see Mop and Glo has fragrances and other things added to it. I'd call that contamination for purposes of sealing leather. At the end of the day, is it enough to matter? Well that's for others to figure out.

The question is, if someone gave you a free bucket of Resoline or Eco-Flo Satin Sheen, etc. would you be willing to clean your floor with it? Yes or no? Why don't you give it a try and let us know how it turns out? Buy a bottle and dump it in the middle of the floor and clean it and let us know how it turns out? This argument goes both ways. Make sure to take pictures.

Dude thru all this you still haven't figured out that mop & Glo is not just a floor cleaner its an acrylic sealer too. And yes if you send me a bucket of Resoline or Eco-Flo Satin Sheen, I will clean and seal my floor with it, and I'm sure it will do a nice job of it, after all it is an acrylic sealer just like Mop & Glo:yes:

1 minute ago, Bert03241 said:

Edited by Bert03241

1 minute ago, Bert03241 said:

Dude thru all this you still haven't figured out that mop & Glo is not just a floor cleaner its an acrylic sealer too. And yes if you send me a bucket of Resoline or Eco-Flo Satin Sheen, I will clean and seal my floor with it, and I'm sure it will do a nice job of it, after all it is an acrylic sealer just like Mop & Glo:yes:

I'm fully aware it does both. But it's primarily marketed as a floor cleaner, which is why I referred to it as a floor cleaner.

1 hour ago, Bert03241 said:

The question is, if someone gave you a free bucket of Resoline or Eco-Flo Satin Sheen, etc. would you be willing to clean your floor with it? Yes or no?

First, I do have the petulant child on ignore, but when y'all quote him it still shows up. And in answer to his stupid question above; NO, BECAUSE AS WE HAVE TOLD HIM OVER AND OVER, M&G IS NOT, NOT NOTA FLOOR CLEANER!! Would I use them AFTER I cleaned the floor? YES, BECAUSE THEY ARE THE SAME DAMN THING AS M&G, AN ACRYLIC VARNISH!!!

6 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

First, I do have the petulant child on ignore, but when y'all quote him it still shows up. And in answer to his stupid question above; NO, BECAUSE AS WE HAVE TOLD HIM OVER AND OVER, M&G IS NOT, NOT NOTA FLOOR CLEANER!! Would I use them AFTER I cleaned the floor? YES, BECAUSE THEY ARE THE SAME DAMN THING AS M&G, AN ACRYLIC VARNISH!!!

You must have written that right after injecting Mop and Glo directly into your veins!

10 hours ago, jasonsmith said:

Do you put Mop and Glo on your pancakes? So funny how many people act like children just because I turned down using Mop and Glo as I wanted to stick with traditional sealers sold a leather shops. I think some people here have been drinking it. If anyone is upset because I'm not using your favorite product, then best keep that to yourself than come here whining about it like a baby.

I'll bet M&G would be good on toast, like Kentucky Jelly.

4 hours ago, Mablung said:

Is "it"  'Nice 'N' Shiny ?? 

You wouldn't want to get the two mixed up , "one"  is nice and  shiny, while the floor is nice and slippery ... o'h ...wha..?? 

O'h F*&^ck  !!!!!! , ' should have gone to ' Specsavers ' :rofl: 

HS 

9 hours ago, Mablung said:

I dunno never tried it but the ky jelly my wife bought the other day sure wasn't very good.

Should I dare say I use Pledge with future shine lol. on the VERY rare occasion i use any acrylic sealer on my leather products. i use the stuff mainly as a resist when staining.

I've also got charcoal drawings I made in highs cool ( lol spellcheck actually suggested that) 50 year ago that I used aqua net hair spray instead of matte finish to seal the work. Don't tell anyone.

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

I dunno never tried it but the ky jelly my wife bought the other day sure wasn't very good.

Orange marmalade is pretty good....on toast;) lol 

HS

3 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

I've also got charcoal drawings I made in highs cool ( lol spellcheck actually suggested that) 50 year ago that I used aqua net hair spray instead of matte finish to seal the work. Don't tell anyone

Don't worry, German grammar school art teachers 45 years ago also recommended hair spray, but the brand was probably Schwarzkopf or Gard.  

Sadly I always forget to look in the aisle with house cleaning and grooming products and so I still don't know whether something similar to Mop 'nd Glo exists in France :(

I have managed to get Loctite - is it okay for Sam Brown studs or should I buy a special product for them? ;)

On 12/8/2023 at 5:41 PM, jasonsmith said:

We've done the experimentation for you.  Proved it works fine.  Are willing to tell you exactly what we do.  Yet here were are.  You are stuck in the mud with your position.

At this point it's just the most exciting thing going around here right now.  lol. So I'll play along until I get too busy to bother.  

$40?  Since money seems to be a thing with you I dipped $800 worth of holsters the other day prepping them to ship for Christmas.  Absolute non issue again.  Shocking I know.  

I don't use Mop and Glo on my floors silly, so I would not use Resolen either.  M&G is for holsters at my house.  

FYI, I hate resolene anyway.  Because of all the things you listed that you DID NOT WANT in a leather sealer.  I use M&G because it's all the things I do want in a leather sealer.  And all the things you want as well, minus that one hang up that you can't see your way around.  I've had resolene crack when applied full strength a number of times.  And it looks like I spray painted my leather with clear coat.  Yuk.  

This is what it looks like on leather.  Dipped twice.  Buffed with Atom wax.  The dipping is part of my love of M&G too.  I can buy it by the case for slightly more than 32 oz of resolene.  I get 6 times as much.  So I can dip my holsters instead of brush the finish on.  

IMG_4835.jpeg

2 minutes ago, chiefjason said:

We've done the experimentation for you.  Proved it works fine.  Are willing to tell you exactly what we do.  Yet here were are.  You are stuck in the mud with your position.

At this point it's just the most exciting thing going around here right now.  lol. So I'll play along until I get too busy to bother.  

$40?  Since money seems to be a thing with you I dipped $800 worth of holsters the other day prepping them to ship for Christmas.  Absolute non issue again.  Shocking I know.  

I don't use Mop and Glo on my floors silly, so I would not use Resolen either.  M&G is for holsters at my house.  

FYI, I hate resolene anyway.  Because of all the things you listed that you DID NOT WANT in a leather sealer.  I use M&G because it's all the things I do want in a leather sealer.  And all the things you want as well, minus that one hang up that you can't see your way around.  I've had resolene crack when applied full strength a number of times.  And it looks like I spray painted my leather with clear coat.  Yuk.  

This is what it looks like on leather.  Dipped twice.  Buffed with Atom wax.  The dipping is part of my love of M&G too.  I can buy it by the case for slightly more than 32 oz of resolene.  I get 6 times as much.  So I can dip my holsters instead of brush the finish on.  

IMG_4835.jpeg

I'm not using Mop and Glo just like how you don't use Resolene. It's a choice I made and a choice you have made. I don't care what you say about Mop and Glo, I'M CHOOSING NOT TO USE IT. I'm only sticking with sealers that are traditional leather sealers, you don't have to agree with it. Also, a little bottle of leather sealer goes a long way. I only spread a thin layer on top of the leather. 

I think I'll do a test where I mix Eco Flo Satin sheen 50/50 with distilled water like what people do with Resolene and see what that does. I've used Eco Flo Satin Sheen 100% in the past with good results, but had wanted to try some other things when I ordered more dye. Which I went ahead and ordered more dye.

Is this the correct product (there seems to be a couple variants, and some discussion about some versions have been discontinued)?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mop-Glo-Multi-Surface-Floor-Cleaner-32oz-Shines-Protects-Floors/31953097?fulfillmentIntent=In-store&athbdg=L1200&from=/search

Why is everyone, or nearly everyone, harping on about 'Mop & Glo'.  I use it a lot BUT the chap says he doesn't want to use it and wont use it.  Can we not try to compare other sealers that ARE available in the leather shop for him to try?