jasonsmith

Recommend a permanent low sheen sealer

1 hour ago, jasonsmith said:

3 hours ago, SUP said:

Hey @DocReaper I vote blue! why am I being offended here? Hmm?

But the rest, the issue @jasonsmith is more that there is no need to be rude.  Everyone here has their own way of doing things and disagree every so often. We communicate in a friendly, polite way, not like  recalcitrant teenagers. You don't have to do what people suggest here but you don't have to knock the suggestions down the way you did. Most of the people here have decades of experience. I am a newbie too and respect that experience. You should try that sometime.

Back to the topic, @fredk what talc do you use? Any plain talcum powder? Like baby powder? 

Copy and paste what comments I made that you are calling "rude". I've been nice and polite. Here's my initial response. I think I was friendly:

"Thanks, but I'm going to stick with traditional leather sealers like Feibing's, Angelus, or Eco-Flo, etc. I think acrylic is probably what I'm going to end up going with due to weatherproofing, though not sure what else may be out there as it's been 10 years. I'm looking at starting to sell pieces and so wanted to do some research on a more durable sealer, if there is one that stays satin.

5 hours ago, jasonsmith said:

I've been a member for 13 years. I've not been an "ass" to anyone. I'm the one who started this thread. I'm not using Mop and Glo, never will. I've already got a new bottle of Eco Flo Satin sheen that I'll be using unless I come across another true satin sheen sealer when I order more dye.

jasonsmith, it read a lot worse the first time - sorry for being wank! But now you have a perfect opportunity to buy a bottle of mop n glow, a small container of baby powder, and cheap plastic containers and try some mixing. If you notice the bottle of super sheen there will be a substance that settles to the bottom of the quart bottle, that's the item (baby powder) in the mixture that stops the high glossy just waxed look, and depending how far the leather store is - you may save yourself $25 bucks by experimenting 

7 hours ago, Doc Reaper said:

Jasonsmith you have been a member for 3 years and a couple of day, stop what you are doing with the tude, step back and let a couple of GOOD FRIENDS tell you how this request for knowledge went sideways. 

I've been doing leather for 52 years and I would always buy my supplies at a leather shop. My dogs got hold of my belt hole template and I needed a new one, Tandy had em for $48 and the hour drive there was way out of what I was willing to spend. So I made one out of an old 6X6 cedar post, which also made 2 tool holders and it just cost my time to make these items. Then I made half round cutters in various diameters. I started mixing different color dies just to see the outcome. I've used wood stain to dye leather a medium to light medium brown. 

Just because you don't want to move outside of your comfort is the same reason some of your work won't improve. It's like voting in the village idiot and expecting him to do better than he did his entire life, even when it's pointed out that idiot is a puppet the folks that think he got in by his own merits won't listen to facts and get mad at those who point out the obvious!

go to a dollar general, get a small bottle of mop and glow and start experimenting with different dilutions, use scrap leather to test the outcomes! Start with one ounce substance to one ounce water, if you want less add an extra half ounce. If it's not enough of what you want to accomplish add half an ounce of substance. Hell I think black dye is expensive so I'm playing with vinegar and iron until I'm satisfied with the color! 
Now go blow your nose and apologize for being an ass to Chuck! Also stop voting blue! 

Doc I love ya man :thumbsup: I love wood  stain on leather and mop and glo 50/50 is awesome in my book. Use it on all my holsters and knife sheaths never had a complaint

4 hours ago, fredk said:

If you mix a small amount of talcum powder into the sealer it reduces the shine. eg, in a satin sealer it makes it more matt. By how much talc you put in you can control just how much a satin finish  you end up with

Oh gessh Fred don't tell him to use a none specified leather product on his very important high class leather . :nono:

12 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

What's really silly on your part is you've never used it, never even heard of it being used but you have a negative opinion based on ???? 

I got no dog in this fight either way, but back when I brought up using Veg oil on leather people in this very thread had plenty to say to me. Now other people also in this thread are testing it on working or not and so far have had no issues that have been told. And as I believe you might be also. Just saying so it's implied for everyone on here.

@SUP I saw some pure talc on Amazon. Years ago my mom ordered some from a pharmacy, unscented talcum powder. We used it for greasy stains on clothes (this was before DAWN). I got melted butter on a tie. Sprinked the powder on it, next day brushed it off, the powder absorbed the melted butter. A little goes along way. Reading this thread, I now have another use for the powder!

Better living through chemistry (thank you Dupont).

Some of the commentary  on here is why I don't  do "social media" because its not very social, and not very friendly . 

This site has taught me so much about friendship  & fellowship  , even from the other side of the world,  I have valued  friends on here  just as I do IRL ,  even though we have never met,   I value that :thumbsup:  It has also taught me to think outside the 'leather box' .    Theres more than one application to a particular product, and , outside the recommendations in the instructions, and they work  . I even used leather dyes to stain wood for example, and looks great, I've  also used shoe polish on some leather products, and it works, go figure.

If you don't wish to be helped or follow the advice given.. ....well... :whistle: Dixie  ..music is quite uplifting :specool:

HS

For those who don't know; as Doc has pointed out, talc is used in paints and varnishes to modify the gloss finish to a matt finish. In this case its called the 'matting agent'. But afaik it has to be talc. Modern baby powder uses corn starch

7 hours ago, Burkhardt said:

I got no dog in this fight either way, but back when I brought up using Veg oil on leather people in this very thread had plenty to say to me. Now other people also in this thread are testing it on working or not and so far have had no issues that have been told. And as I believe you might be also. Just saying so it's implied for everyone on here.

I understand your point friend but the difference is I did have extensive past knowledge of what vegetable oil does and how it reacts with time and oxidation. With that knowledge based on years of  working on equipment that it was applied to I deducted reasonably that I didn't want to use it on leather . I still haven't used it on leather and yes I'm testing it also with a couple folks on here but i wont use until I'm satisfied and that will be years from now not two or three months.  Mop and glow has been tried and proven for years already so there is no debate on its worth as a sealer imo and so that's how I based my comments to him.

However that's apples to oranges here my friend I wasn't suggesting he even try it.  I can re post my  first comment if you didn't understand it. "The mop and glo solution he suggested is used by tons of folks nowadays you really must have been gone a while. Its an acrylic sealer just as most of the modern "leather " sealers and works the same. But you can pay more at the leather store if you feel the name on the bottle changes its properties".

good luck. 

Now I will say this I'm not gonna argue on the forum with  him, you or anyone else. I will surely address any personal problems you or anyone on this forum may have with me or my comments via private messaging.

But back on topic the guy said he wasn't trying anything but what's on the shelf and he knows the names of the products and he obviously doesn't want to hear any discussion on alternative solutions so this discussion is closed IMO.

@DocReaperNo offense taken.  We all have our own opinions. :)  The second part, I agree, which I why I said what I did. In spite of voting blue!:huh: imagine!:)

@Wepster I once dropped half a litre of oil on a new dress! Covered it in talcum powder, and added fresh lot several times as it got saturated. The dress was clean in 2 days!  I had completely forgotten until you mentioned it here. @fredk thank you for mentioning talcum powder here. Now I can get it and keep it ready for so many uses, including  giving a matte finish to leather.

So no Baby powder - pure talc is probably better - via the ubiquitous Amazon.

Edited by SUP

You asked for alternatives then argued with the answers.  lol

Been using Mop and glo for 10 years.  Not one customer has contacted me about the finish cracking.  I use 2 dips.  It's dulls so much I use some atom wax to bring it up to a neutral finish.  $25 leather?  I'm dipping $250 holsters in it without a second thought or a single issue.  

But hey, you do whatever you want to.  

6 hours ago, chiefjason said:

You asked for alternatives then argued with the answers.  lol

Been using Mop and glo for 10 years.  Not one customer has contacted me about the finish cracking.  I use 2 dips.  It's dulls so much I use some atom wax to bring it up to a neutral finish.  $25 leather?  I'm dipping $250 holsters in it without a second thought or a single issue.  

But hey, you do whatever you want to.  

I didn't argue with the answers. Someone suggested Mop and Glo. And I politely declined to using that product and instead stated that I wanted to stick with sealers that are sold at leather shops. Did people come in with suggestions for satin sealers that are sold at traditional leather shops, or did they come in arguing with me because I chose not to use Mop and Glo?

This thread is about recommendations for satin sealers that are sold at traditional leather shops. Tell me, how many recommendations were given that fits that criteria?

For the last time, I'm not using Mop and Glo.

15 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

I understand your point friend but the difference is I did have extensive past knowledge of what vegetable oil does and how it reacts with time and oxidation. With that knowledge based on years of  working on equipment that it was applied to I deducted reasonably that I didn't want to use it on leather . I still haven't used it on leather and yes I'm testing it also with a couple folks on here but i wont use until I'm satisfied and that will be years from now not two or three months.  Mop and glow has been tried and proven for years already so there is no debate on its worth as a sealer imo and so that's how I based my comments to him.

However that's apples to oranges here my friend I wasn't suggesting he even try it.  I can re post my  first comment if you didn't understand it. "The mop and glo solution he suggested is used by tons of folks nowadays you really must have been gone a while. Its an acrylic sealer just as most of the modern "leather " sealers and works the same. But you can pay more at the leather store if you feel the name on the bottle changes its properties".

good luck. 

Now I will say this I'm not gonna argue on the forum with  him, you or anyone else. I will surely address any personal problems you or anyone on this forum may have with me or my comments via private messaging.

But back on topic the guy said he wasn't trying anything but what's on the shelf and he knows the names of the products and he obviously doesn't want to hear any discussion on alternative solutions so this discussion is closed IMO.

As I said I got no dog in this fight or with you, I'm simply say that when it's said if you have no personal experience with it on leather to be a little more open minded as you suggested others do.

7 minutes ago, jasonsmith said:

I am open minded. What suggestions would you have on a sealer with a satin sheen that they sell in leather shops? I assume you've tried them all since you're open minded?

That wasn't intended for you. As for sealer I use tan-kot and believe bag-kot has less sheen. Or the other way I don't remember.

2 minutes ago, Burkhardt said:

That wasn't intended for you. As for sealer I use tan-kot and believe bag-kot has less sheen. Or the other way I don't remember.

Okay thanks. I was reading inside the quote box and had assumed it was directed at me.

FYI I did some research on leather sealers and found almost all of them use most of the same ingredients  that are used in Mop & Glo of course each product has some variations to make it there own but the basic seal stuff is the same

Mop & Glo

• Water. ...
  • Modified Acrylic Polymer. ... ..........................................  Most leather sealers have this
  • C13-15 Alcohols Ethoxylated (branched and linear) ...
  • Ethoxydiglycol (Diethylene Glycol Monoethyl Ether) ...
  • Oxidized Polyethylene. ...
  • Maleic Modified Rosin Resin. ...
  • Zinc Oxide. ...
  • Fragrance/Parfum.

Mop & Glo   probably sits on the shelves of leather stores under some fancy name:yes::thumbsup::whistle:

Edited by Bert03241

8 hours ago, Burkhardt said:

As I said I got no dog in this fight or with you, I'm simply say that when it's said if you have no personal experience with it on leather to be a little more open minded as you suggested others do.

neither do i have dog in this fight, I didn't consider it a fight, i was just trying to enlighten the man. Wont do that again. 

7 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

FYI I did some research on leather sealers and found almost all of them use most of the same ingredients  that are used in Mop & Glo of course each product has some variations to make it there own but the basic seal stuff is the same

Bingo !!!!!!!!!!! Great minds think alike. 

I think this thread has done its dash now 

HS

3 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

Bingo !!!!!!!!!!! Great minds think alike. 

I think this thread has done its dash now 

HS

Reminds me of the time I had to prove to our IT guy the $4.00 per 1 oz. bottles of cd cleaner he was buying was really just isopropyl alcohol which is about $1.00 per quart. 

I just take my mop&glow to my leather shop and have the guy keep it in the back for me . He will pour it into smaller bottles and add a buck an ounce when I come in for supplies , just makes me feel better about the whole thing .........................

1 hour ago, Gezzer said:

I just take my mop&glow to my leather shop and have the guy keep it in the back for me . He will pour it into smaller bottles and add a buck an ounce when I come in for supplies , just makes me feel better about the whole thing .........................

Very good Gezz