ToddW

Molding question

I have an iphone dummy phone and want to wet mold a case.  Most of the youtube videos look like they 3d print a phone and outer piece to bind the leather between.  Watching the saddleback video..  they had pulled the leather tight around the phone mold holding it in place..

any suggestions on an easy but effective way to wet mold a phine case?

1. Use a flat thin board, about 6 mm MDF. Place the dummy phone on it. Place wet leather on top. Use lolly sticks (Popsicle sticks) on top of the wet leather and then use bulldog paper clips to hold in place. You may have to go around a couple of time to get the leather even and the sticks & bulldogs tight to the shape. Don't skimp on the leather

2. Use two bits of wet leather.  One piece on each side. As above, sticks & bulldogs. And as above you'll need to go around it a couple of time adjusting it all 

This is pen case done in that manner;

Knit & Natter pen cases, 01LWs.jpg

Fredk's method would work well if you are wanting to mold a slip/sleeve sort of case. (Correct me if I'm misunderstanding the design, fredk.) Saddleback's method is for making a case that grips the edges of the frame with a raised lip, like most cases people use now. Saddleback's video is pretty complete, so with some watching and rewatching, a little measurement and math, and a couple attempts, it shouldn't be too hard to clone, I don't think. I've got that on my list of projects. 

you can plainly see where saddleback video cut the corners and reglued them to form the edges all the rest of form is pretty much like Fred said how ever you cant clamp it down cut out the pattern hand form it around your fake phone cut the corners and form them then glue after drying and finish.

If you want a real . . . top of the line . . . model for your mold.

Take your Iphone . . . lay it on a piece of saran wrap  . . . cut the wrap to go around it nice and tight . . . pull it tight . . . and scotch tape the edges.

Ain't no better model out there.

May God bless,

Dwight

31 minutes ago, Dwight said:

Take your Iphone . . . lay it on a piece of saran wrap  . . . cut the wrap to go around it nice and tight . . . pull it tight . . . and scotch tape the edges.

May God bless,

Dwight

But what if you want to take or place a call?  :)

Happy Holidays!

3 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

Happy Holidays!

That's why you have a land line . . . 

(you actually can make or take calls with it in saran wrap . . . or at least "some" phones will)

May God bless,

Dwight

4 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

Happy Holidays!

do it in your car. lol

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

do it in your car. lol

Some people will do it anywhere!  :)

Happy Holidays!

4 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

Some people will do it anywhere!  :)

Happy Holidays!

LOL I'll do it anywhere i get the chance.

anywhere there is Bluetooth of course 

7 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

LOL I'll do it anywhere i get the chance.

anywhere there is Bluetooth of course 

Mom always made me scrub mine . . . only were blue after the third piece of blueberry pie . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight 

And MERRY CHRISTMAS  to you all.

I'm still using the ' ye olde' Al Stohlman method of molding,  works every time , and where the pins are,  the marks disappear  when it all gets dyed and  sewn , simple. I don't use a ' bone folder ' I  just use a large 5-6mm ' D' ring  .The ' corner ' on the D ring comes in handy too  :)

11 hours ago, Dwight said:

That's why you have a land line . . . 

Here we have no choice but to have a land line, the mobile phone service  sometimes cuts out when theres strong winds or a storm , thats the  time when you may need a phone. 

HS

18 hours ago, Dwight said:

May God bless,

Dwight

If you watch the above mentioned video by Saddleback Leather  you'll see why that is not a good idea:

Buy a thin hard case and use that as a mold.  Good chance you could do the above by turning the case upside down so the solid back is where the pressure of the leather goes.  It's what I use when someone want's a belt case.  I you want it solid you could probably fill it with expanding foam and trim the foam flush.  

I have a dummy phone so I don't need to worry about answering my phone :-). 

The saddleback video is what I am trying to achieve in a raw cordovan shell.  I have a skiver, I have a leather splitter, I have the leather, I have the dummy phone.  guess its time to jump in and start seeing what works..