WalterF

Finished Pistol Case

Worked on a case to learn. Made it out of remnants so it has some marks, for me it just adds to the character.
Modifying it a bit and it would be a great Bible case.

1434584967_EagleSideWeb.thumb.jpg.99592d3b3585958b8558b27636fecfc7.jpg

457392941_PatchSideweb.thumb.jpg.49da1df80b9196d79c10e46983eb7373.jpg

331148852_InsideOpen.Webjpg.thumb.jpg.8563aa9d9db3707baa31592d73cf5744.jpg

Awesome work!!! Love your tool work. Looks great. 

Is that all hand stitched or machine stitched? 

Thanks. 

I like to turn the zipper gussets the other way ,so they're flush with the outside of the case and get burnished together.. but that looks purdy good ;)

11 hours ago, DieselTech said:

Awesome work!!! Love your tool work. Looks great. 

Is that all hand stitched or machine stitched? 

Thanks. 

Thank you, it is all machine stitch.

2 hours ago, JLSleather said:

I like to turn the zipper gussets the other way ,so they're flush with the outside of the case and get burnished together.. but that looks purdy good ;)

The gusset is two piece with the edge flush with the outside and another piece stitched to it for the zipper. Thank you.

6 minutes ago, WalterF said:

The gusset is two piece with the edge flush with the outside and another piece stitched to it for the zipper. Thank you.

looks good , tho you could have just turned the zipper gusset other way and not added that piece ;)  I like to burnish and dye the edge near the zipper before sewing on the zipper.

2 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

looks good , tho you could have just turned the zipper gusset other way and not added that piece ;)  I like to burnish and dye the edge near the zipper before sewing on the zipper.

True, this gives it a different look though I have done both ways. Yeh I dropped the ball on not burnishing the edge by the zipper.

So, you did this to learn.  Learn what?  Your work has already always been phenomenal.  What more is there that you could possibly need to learn?

Absolutely stunning work (as always).  Was the eagle your own design or did it come from some other artwork?  Either way the detail work is fantastic.

/dwight

Beautiful! I like your use of the lesser quality remnants. There are times I go for remnants just to get those character marks in the leather. I also like your tooling designs. Outstanding work. Did you also glue the sheepskin to the outside pieces or just let the stitching on the double zipper gusset hold it?

Nice work

I love it beautiful work:thumbsup:

5 hours ago, DwightT said:

So, you did this to learn.  Learn what?  Your work has already always been phenomenal.  What more is there that you could possibly need to learn?

Absolutely stunning work (as always).  Was the eagle your own design or did it come from some other artwork?  Either way the detail work is fantastic.

/dwight

I wanted to try a few different things, gusset, handle, and Breaking Out Eagle. These are new to me. I am learning everyday from lots of people, some may not be my taste yet a technique they use may be better. Thank you for the compliment. The eagle is called Breaking Out Eagle by Robert Barr. It is free on Elk Tracks web site.

4 hours ago, MarshalWill said:

Beautiful! I like your use of the lesser quality remnants. There are times I go for remnants just to get those character marks in the leather. I also like your tooling designs. Outstanding work. Did you also glue the sheepskin to the outside pieces or just let the stitching on the double zipper gusset hold it?

Thank you, remnants for me are great when trying new things. They are not something to be used for a customer. The sheepskin is just glued in along with the inside flap covering the zipper ends.

4 hours ago, Simplejack1985 said:

Nice work

Thank you

12 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

I love it beautiful work:thumbsup:

Thank you it was fun.

26 minutes ago, WalterF said:

Thank you, remnants for me are great when trying new things. They are not something to be used for a customer. The sheepskin is just glued in along with the inside flap covering the zipper ends.

Thanks. I try new things with some fairly ratty belly leather. Industrial strength crap certainly not for human consumption. It saves making something sucko out of good quality leather. Thanks about the sheepskin being glued in.

Looks good! And those marks DO add to it.

6 hours ago, DwightT said:

/dwight

Yes. ^ well said.

Looks fantastic! I’m curious about what type of zipper you used? The pulls are going in opposite directions. I’m working on a project now where I want to do the same thing but the std. YKK #5 zipper tape is uni-directional, so…?

Again, the case looks awesome!

3 hours ago, Chipster99 said:

@Chipster99, If you'll tag @WalterF in your question, he'll be more likely to see it.  JM2C

On 2/4/2024 at 7:41 PM, tsunkasapa said:

Looks good! And those marks DO add to it.

Thank you

On 2/4/2024 at 8:12 PM, NatesLeatherGds said:

Yes. ^ well said.

Thank you

8 hours ago, jrdunn said:

@Chipster99, If you'll tag @WalterF in your question, he'll be more likely to see it.  JM2C

Yes Sir.

After seeing it a while the floppy handles started bothering me. Added the handle wrap out of remnants also.

1601946714_HandleEagleSideweb.thumb.jpg.891d4cfc9e98dfb6251f041a635744d2.jpg588100443_HandleOpenTopweb.thumb.jpg.c252d8848c5161ed90e38bb610e85f7d.jpg

On 2/5/2024 at 5:25 AM, Chipster99 said:

Looks fantastic! I’m curious about what type of zipper you used? The pulls are going in opposite directions. I’m working on a project now where I want to do the same thing but the std. YKK #5 zipper tape is uni-directional, so…?

Again, the case looks awesome!

Thank you, The zipper is a #3 five yard bulk roll from Amazon. With the zipper you get 10 zipper pulls, they both work well with one being slightly smoother. Possibly the one that is in the reverse direction. It posed no problem. I am sorry, not familiar with the uni-directional YKK.

The handle wrap is a good addition. It visually balances those handles with the sides. Nice choice, there.