DieselTech

Ordered A Cobra Class 4

Guys & gals I have finally saved up enough money for a Cobra Class 4 & ordered 1 Tuesday.

Also ordered Patrick1 accessories just in case they are needed.

I will be using 277 thread top & bottom most of the time. My question is: Does anybody have photos of sewing samples with the different leather point needles? Like the D, S, & LR needle points in a #25needle. 

Also does anyone recommend any wear items/parts or additional accessories, I would like to hear about them.

I have been reading & watching lots of videos on that machine. Do any of you guys & gals reccomend any. I'll take any advice given. 

I am hoping if I run into a bind someone will be willing to help out. 

Thanks. 

40 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

I have been reading & watching lots of videos on that machine. Do any of you guys & gals reccomend any. I'll take any advice given. 

I knocked my machine out of time when I was learning to sew and this video by @Uwe got me back on track.  He also has a video on adjusting the walking foot that is very well done.

2 minutes ago, TomE said:

I knocked my machine out of time when I was learning to sew and this video by @Uwe got me back on track.  He also has a video on adjusting the walking foot that is very well done.

Thanks TomE I watched that video a few years ago & could not remember the link to it. 

Thanks I appreciate it. 

I bought Cowboy 4500 from Bob at Toledo Industrial last year and it was up and running out of the box. I never ran a sewing machine so it took a while to get comfortable using it but now I love this thing.

34 minutes ago, bladegrinder said:

I bought Cowboy 4500 from Bob at Toledo Industrial last year and it was up and running out of the box. I never ran a sewing machine so it took a while to get comfortable using it but now I love this thing.

Thanks. Lol the last time I ran a sewing machine was high school. So yeah this is going to be a journey for me. 

My machine is supposedly to be set up, & ready to sew other than final assembly. 

I'm sure I am going to waste 40miles of thread & lots of leather scraps learning the ins & outs of the machine. 

Yea, I had quite the pile of sewed up scrap. the one thing I kept doing was I'd end on one piece of scrap in reverse then when I started another one I forgot to switch to forward, but now stitching knife sheaths or holsters I always start in reverse and end in reverse.

I also find myself hand turning the flywheel by hand at tight spots or turns, taking the brake pad out of the motor helps with that a lot, with the brake pad in, you have to push the pedal a small amount to free the flywheel, so there's lag in the machine starting. the way I have my pedal set up now there's no play before the machine starts running, you touch it and it goes.

10 minutes ago, bladegrinder said:

Yea, I had quite the pile of sewed up scrap. the one thing I kept doing was I'd end on one piece of scrap in reverse then when I started another one I forgot to switch to forward, but now stitching knife sheaths or holsters I always start in reverse and end in reverse.

I also find myself hand turning the flywheel by hand at tight spots or turns, taking the brake pad out of the motor helps with that a lot, with the brake pad in, you have to push the pedal a small amount to free the flywheel, so there's lag in the machine starting. the way I have my pedal set up now there's no play before the machine starts running, you touch it and it goes.

Yeah I'm sure I have soo much to learn. I'm hoping I dont mess the machine up or something. 

I think I have watched 20+ videos on different aspects of the machine. Read a lot of info on here as well. 

Cant wait to get it, but I know its possibly 4-6 weeks out yet. 

Thanks I'll have to look into the brake thing you mentioned. 

Watch al bane for leather on YouTube he is a wealth of info

7 minutes ago, purplefox66 said:

Watch al bane for leather on YouTube he is a wealth of info

Yeah I have been watching his videos, case I do encounter a problem. Which I'm sure is going to happen. 

Thanks. 

I'm sure you'll love it! The class 4 machines are built like tanks, are almost bulletproof and will sew through almost anything - but they are quite capable of breaking these heavy needles (so don't force thick items through them!!).

23 minutes ago, dikman said:

I'm sure you'll love it! The class 4 machines are built like tanks, are almost bulletproof and will sew through almost anything - but they are quite capable of breaking these heavy needles (so don't force thick items through them!!).

Thanks. Yeah I been dreaming up stuff to make or at least try to make. 

I plan on trying/experimenting with it on some kydex sheaths & holsters. I hear of people sewing plastics with the class 4.

Kind of planning maybe a canvas tent/tarp.

Guys & gals is a #25 needle going to be best for the 277 thread I plan on using. 

Lmao I finally was able to afford the machine & cant afford the needles. I did not realize the needles would cost $25/10needles. 

Thanks.

@DieselTech try this link,https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Organ-7X4NW-DYX3LL-794LL-Leather-Point-Sewing-Machine-Needles-Singer-Consew/400730390609?var=670274800836,  this is where I have been getting them, I think I use 24 for 277 thread.

Todd

1 hour ago, DieselTech said:

Guys & gals is a #25 needle going to be best for the 277 thread I plan on using. 

Lmao I finally was able to afford the machine & cant afford the needles. I did not realize the needles would cost $25/10needles. 

Thanks.

We sell the same needle for $16.00 a pack of 10

2 hours ago, Hildebrand said:

@DieselTech try this link,https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Organ-7X4NW-DYX3LL-794LL-Leather-Point-Sewing-Machine-Needles-Singer-Consew/400730390609?var=670274800836,  this is where I have been getting them, I think I use 24 for 277 thread.

Todd

Thanks. I will check them out. Appreciate it.

2 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

We sell the same needle for $16.00 a pack of 10

Thanks Bob. Sounds like you got the deal of the week on needles. Everywhere I look, they are priced at $20 & above. 

4 hours ago, Hildebrand said:

Todd

exactly what i use - LL  point, #24

pics show close up of the difference in a couple styles.  the LL and LR points are the SAME needle size, same thread size, and same stitch length.  The LR is kinda lacy and girlie, doesn't pull as deep, and makes the stitch LOOK longer (it isnt)

teh LL pulls in deep, results in a very straight and tight stitch, with a hole geometry unlikey to tear.

lll.jpgUntitled-3.jpg

Congratulations on the purchase!  Somewhere (and I can't find it right now) Alexander Dyer has a video using what looks like a Cobra 26 sewing canvas to plywood.

Maybe you could sew a fender on to your car.

Got it:

Edited by AlZilla

14 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

pics show close up of the difference in a couple styles.  the LL and LR points are the SAME needle size, same thread size, and same stitch length.  The LR is kinda lacy and girlie, doesn't pull as deep, and makes the stitch LOOK longer (it isnt)

teh LL pulls in deep, results in a very straight and tight stitch, with a hole geometry unlikey to tear.

lll.jpgUntitled-3.jpg

Thanks JLS, Is the LL point a diamond shaped needle or is it a triangle pointed needle?

I think I will get some LR needles for bags & such, just for the decorative stitch. 

I think for holsters & sheaths the LL needle would be better suited for them. 

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, AlZilla said:

Congratulations on the purchase!  Somewhere (and I can't find it right now) Alexander Dyer has a video using what looks like a Cobra 26 sewing canvas to plywood.

Maybe you could sew a fender on to your car.

Got it:

Yeah I think there is a youtube video of the class 4 sewing metal license plates together. 

I'm hoping it's as nice as everybody says they are. I didnt think I was ever going to get enough money saved up for 1. 

Thanks.

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

lll.jpgUntitled-3.jpg

@JLSleather you sent me that link when I got my machine, I was just paying it forward.

Todd

Congratulations!  I've had mine for probably 9-years.  No issues.  I think you'll be real happy with it.  Leather Machine Co. customer service is top-notch if you ever need 'em. 

9 minutes ago, BruceGibson said:

Congratulations!  I've had mine for probably 9-years.  No issues.  I think you'll be real happy with it.  Leather Machine Co. customer service is top-notch if you ever need 'em. 

Thanks. Yeah it took me a long while to make up my mind, what & who's machine I was going to buy. 

I've heard their customer service & support is good. I'm hoping I never need it thou.