Brooks125

Man With No Name rig!

New item time! A couple months ago, I received a request for a "Fist Full of Dollars - walk and draw rig." The customer specified a few adjustments from the Man With No Name:
- It needed to be a double rig
- He wanted to use it for quick-draw
- It had to fit a pair of 4.62" Ruger Vaqueros
The QD requirement meant it all had to be rawhide lined, which is a departure for me, and it needed bullet deflectors. This is probably the 4th version I came up with for the order .. I could not be happier. AND the power of the internet means he found me from Washington State (I'm in Ohio!)
I'm kinda jazzed about this one!

20240313_163313-EDIT.jpg

Looks good. Nice work. That rig looks great. 

Now Thats Spiffy:thumbsup:

Wow!

I like those!

Those look good. Nice work, there.

Your holsters are much better looking than the one rawhide lined holster I made one time as an experiment. The leather wouldn't glue to the rawhide and to shape it, it shrank at a very different rate than the rest of the holster. It worked well but looked funky.

That looks great!  Well done. 

I'm glad you got the job . . .  you did well

May God bless,

Dwight

8 hours ago, MarshalWill said:

Those look good. Nice work, there.

Your holsters are much better looking than the one rawhide lined holster I made one time as an experiment. The leather wouldn't glue to the rawhide and to shape it, it shrank at a very different rate than the rest of the holster. It worked well but looked funky.

I went through an entire side of rawhide to get this right.   It's all about timing.   Wet enough to mold, dry enough to cement.  Once you start,  clear your calendar because you have to work it until it starts drying, because it has to be set when you're done. 

31 minutes ago, Brooks125 said:

I went through an entire side of rawhide to get this right.   It's all about timing.   Wet enough to mold, dry enough to cement.  Once you start,  clear your calendar because you have to work it until it starts drying, because it has to be set when you're done. 

Obviously you got it right because they came out looking mighty good.

Nailed it!  form meets function.  Really nice work.

Those look really good!.  I like it.  I just picked up an 1858 Remington.  When I get some conversion cylinders I want to make a Pale Rider rig with loops for the swapable cylinders.  

Nice Work.  Very Cool!!

Beautiful work.  I love a tooled holster as much as the next holster builder but there's something elegant in a well done rough-out rig.

Three questions since I'm considering building one:

1.  How thick of steel did you put in the deflector?

2.  What size thread did you use to stitch it?  Looks like 346 but the weight is perfect for the rig.

3.  Did you make your own pattern or is this one I could get somewhere?

Cheers,

J

3 hours ago, Littlef said:

Those look really good!.  I like it.  I just picked up an 1858 Remington.  When I get some conversion cylinders I want to make a Pale Rider rig with loops for the swapable cylinders.  

LOL, the one I made with the rawhide lining was a Pale Rider rig. Maybe the cylinder holder will give you some ideas.

1919286624_DSCN1923(copy).JPG.358a741941d0624823d824cb4066bcae.JPG

Looking forward to yours.

That rig looks great!

3 hours ago, LiftPig said:

Beautiful work.  I love a tooled holster as much as the next holster builder but there's something elegant in a well done rough-out rig.

Three questions since I'm considering building one:

1.  How thick of steel did you put in the deflector?

2.  What size thread did you use to stitch it?  Looks like 346 but the weight is perfect for the rig.

3.  Did you make your own pattern or is this one I could get somewhere?

Cheers,

J

No steel is allowed on US Quick Draw Assoc holsters.  It's all rawhide.

277 thread off the machine.  I did hand stitch the welt, same thread.

I always make my own patterns,  which also allowed for the slight rear rake on these. 

Thanks!

13 hours ago, MarshalWill said:

LOL, the one I made with the rawhide lining was a Pale Rider rig. Maybe the cylinder holder will give you some ideas.

1919286624_DSCN1923(copy).JPG.358a741941d0624823d824cb4066bcae.JPG

Looking forward to yours.

yea, that's a very similar in concept! looks good.  thanks. 

Edited by Littlef

I thought I would give you all an update.  The rig was delivered ... and the customer loves it!  I must say, sending out an order like this is sometimes akin to sending your kid off to college.  You put a lot of work and emotional capital into them, and then send them off and wish them the best.  He did ask for a shorter version of the trouser belt, as he's on the 2nd to last hole (long distance sizing is always a challenge), which means I'll have a nice piece for the gun show table!

image2.jpeg

image0.jpeg