I am continue working on my progress and trying new materials and technics. About a year ago I started to make my small bags Chanel style. Now I am trying to do all my work by hend using saddle stitches.

This is my last bag. Design was after a famous Louis Vuitton Neverfull. This bag has a unique vintage floral canvas lining from England, I used a very last piece that I had. Bag is 100% hand stitched with "Fil au Chinois" Waxed Linen Thread. Lampoo zippers. Handles will turn into a darker golden-honey color as time goes on. Fenice edge paint. What else? I think I love very much.

I am just a woman who likes fashionable pieces and I glad I can make some myself.

Comments are welcome. post-54745-0-26564900-1458044881_thumb.jpost-54745-0-14182300-1458044917_thumb.jpost-54745-0-48302500-1458045272_thumb.jpost-54745-0-80878800-1458045289_thumb.jpost-54745-0-95507200-1458045328_thumb.jpost-54745-0-45629200-1458045393_thumb.j

Nice interpretation, great execution. Good job!

Are the handles stitched through the pocket by design? Men under estimate the importance of feet on purses for women... I did... a friend (several that is) corrected me until I learned it, now I just have to remember to remind myself to include them when I build a bag. :blush:

You my dear have some incredible talent!!

Your stitching is beyond excellent.

Your execution of design is superb!

Very wonderful job!!!

Joel

Thank you all, guys. This forum really helped me, this is where I started learning.

And about this bag. People refuse to believe, that it made by hand.

Awesome awesome work. Really like the red edging, nice little pop.

How long did it take you to finish? I'm gearing up to make a purse for my wife.

Nice.
Stitching looks good, which technique did you use? Pre-punched holes or by awl one by one?

Edges looks to need some work though. How many layers of paint, and did you heat treat them?
Don't mean to steal your thunder, just that I just finished a bunch of bracelets using Fenice and learned the hard way that it's more difficult to work with that than just burnishing the traditional way (which of course can't be done on some leathers...), so I'm very interested in how people use it.

Decorative holes are pre-punched with Blanchard irons (No 8). Internal seams like sides and bottom are pre-punched with the unloaded sewing machine in order to keep even distance. My edges are far from perfect. I use paint, heat treatment, sandpaper, but I am not a big fan of this paint. Bought Vernice 600, looks much better compared to Fenice. I know, that I need more practice and more coats of paint/sanding.

Decorative holes are pre-punched with Blanchard irons (No 8). Internal seams like sides and bottom are pre-punched with the unloaded sewing machine in order to keep even distance. My edges are far from perfect. I use paint, heat treatment, sandpaper, but I am not a big fan of this paint. Bought Vernice 600, looks much better compared to Fenice. I know, that I need more practice and more coats of paint/sanding.

Thanks for the reply, and yes, with the edges it takes a bunch of layers to get it done good.

Regarding the stitching I think it looks awesome with the distances but as you can see in your first pic in the OP it's a bit uneven between the handles, did you use any kind of marking of the stitchline before pre-punching?

In the few Hermès vids I've seen on youtube they use a creaser to mark the line before sewing, did you do something similar?

I'm about to make a small handbag just for 'training purposes' so trying to figure out how to make things the best way before I ruin quite a lot of expensive leather...

I do mark edges with the creasing iron, then punch with the Blanchard iron. I have only a short irons, 6 teeth, so that why it can get uneven. I am only doing leatherwork for year and half, so need a lot of practice. Holes on the decorative side seams and leather strip inside, that covering seams are made separately, then pieces were aligned later during stitching process. Don't forget to make holes from the correct sides in this case:) Covering strip has to be punched from the wrong ( reverse) side to much punched angled holes. I can add more pictures that I took with my phone, but I don't have too many of them. I did trial bag for my mom previously and learned my mistakes there :)

Edited by olenawills

I do mark edges with the creasing iron, then punch with the Blanchard iron. I have only a short irons, 6 teeth, so that why it can get uneven. I am only doing leatherwork for year and half, so need a lot of practice. Holes on the decorative side seams and leather strip inside, that covering seams are made separately, then pieces were aligned later during stitching process. Don't forget to make holes from the correct sides in this case:) Covering strip has to be punched from the wrong ( reverse) side to much punched angled holes. I can add more pictures that I took with my phone, but I don't have too many of them. I did trial bag for my mom previously and learned my mistakes there :)

Thanks, I appreciate the tips and I guess some of them were learned the hard way... :)

Very, very nice! I can't believe you did the triple seams along the side. Must have taken a while.

Those seams are necessary because they covering inside of the side seams. Lining has permanently glued to the leather.

Edited by olenawills

Oh, I wasn't saying they weren't necessary, I was saying you really went the extra mile to make it nice inside. My only criticism is for the small pieces of leather with the feet on the bottom. If you round the corners a bit, that part will look more intentional, IMO.

This has to be THE nicest bag I've ever laid my eyes on ! Period ! Not taking anything away from other makers,

it is just, i think the color materials you've mated together compliment one another Exqusitely

And, I know there is alot of work in hand stitching as well.! --- Wild Bill46

I love yyour bag and the fact that you hand stitched it! I don't have a machine to sew even garment weight leather yet, and wanted to make a purse in the worst way, so just found a pattern, cut it out, and am currently hand stitching it! I am also using a hand stitching chisel, but using the same shade thread so it won't be as noticeable if stitches go awry!

Thank you for posting and I would love to see more of your work!

Where can i get the pattern for this bag ?

That is one of the best projects I have seen here. Beautiful design and execution.

You really have something to be proud of.

Edited by bikermutt07

On 17/03/2016 at 0:17 PM, olenawills said:

From someone that uses these edgings every day I can only commend your bravery using red (the worst colour for getting off excess) in the way that you have. May I ask what application technique you decided to use in this case? Regards Brian

Flawless to my eyes.

Excellent job well done