Willie0

How to attach a binder to a Singer 111W155?

1 hour ago, mixmkr said:

Is this an approximation of what you're talking about?

4639096262_d807ed092e.jpg

Yeah, that's one there. You can see the advantages. Able to do inside curves, but lets the binding flow better. 

Regards, Eric 

Here's a picture of a binder setup for the Durkopp Adler 205, which shows both an 80˚ binder and a 45˚ binder (tape folder):

khf205.jpg

Edited by Uwe

If you are drilling and tapping holes into the bed of your machine, you're doing it wrong.

I made and attached an image of Juki with LU-563 with proper base plate from T/A, 460-563J mounted using 200095 Set Screw.  No mods, direct bolt on from the supplier.

Hope this helps.

LU-563with460B.jpg

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

Thats a great tip Gregg, the tac number i gave was used on a couple machines as the turn downs were ground off and so only used the screws for stabilizing. 

When i first seen mine i thought it may be for a 111 actual machine base with its number, and in that its possible as your photo showing a 563 part number. I sure wasn't doubting the company had already made a zillion for about every machine base out there. Just the opposite

Is possible to purchase the hook plate covers already drilled eh?, but thats not to tough to do but again im sure these type items could be in the catalogs somewhere. This could be the very reason to give you a call, cutting to the real need in short order.

thanks for the tips n pics

Floyd

1 hour ago, brmax said:

Thats a great tip Gregg, the tac number i gave was used on a couple machines as the turn downs were ground off and so only used the screws for stabilizing. 

When i first seen mine i thought it may be for a 111 actual machine base with its number, and in that its possible as your photo showing a 563 part number. I sure wasn't doubting the company had already made a zillion for about every machine base out there. Just the opposite

Is possible to purchase the hook plate covers already drilled eh?, but thats not to tough to do but again im sure these type items could be in the catalogs somewhere. This could be the very reason to give you a call, cutting to the real need in short order.

thanks for the tips n pics

Floyd

Thanks for the kind words, I love to share information like this, and hope it helps.

My plate had the numbers 98-11 and the slots didn't quite line up with the holes in the bed.... so a little dremel-ing fixed that as you can see.   Earlier in the thread I had a picture before, where I just used one screw with the tabs not really doing anything, hanging off the side.  After a bit, it tended to shift, but won't now.  

And yeah...why drill the machine bed when you can drill a lesser expensive bracket instead?

swing away binder.JPG

Edited by mixmkr

The thought of drilling holes was too daunting, so I ended up buying an attachment bracket off ebay.  The Sailrite binder hooked up to the bracket sans the attachment's chromed part with a touch of dremel grinding.  So far this is working very well, with a solid feel. This seems to be a solution that will work nicely for my hobby projects.  Since the Sailrite is only held on with one screw, it no doubt would not be a good way to attach the binder for someone who relies on this professionally. 

20170221_080040.jpg

p.jpg

The 3/16 -32  mounting hole mr greg identified above accepted a #10 -32 on my seiko stk 8bld3 . Seemed like a very nice fit.  Equivalent.. dont know.  Easier to find for me.

The Singer treadle that I'm restoring needed a tapered bolt (acts as a pivot) and I have absolutely no idea what the thread size is!!! I finally found a 10 mm metric bolt just fitted, without being too loose, and the threads will lock up. Good enough.

Bloody sewing machine threads drive me nuts!!!!!!

On 2/6/2017 at 12:57 PM, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

If you are drilling and tapping holes into the bed of your machine, you're doing it wrong.

I made and attached an image of Juki with LU-563 with proper base plate from T/A, 460-563J mounted using 200095 Set Screw.  No mods, direct bolt on from the supplier.

Hope this helps.

LU-563with460B.jpg

Where could I buy these 2 part numbers you show here. 

On 2/21/2017 at 3:39 PM, Willie0 said:

The thought of drilling holes was too daunting, so I ended up buying an attachment bracket off ebay.  The Sailrite binder hooked up to the bracket sans the attachment's chromed part with a touch of dremel grinding.  So far this is working very well, with a solid feel. This seems to be a solution that will work nicely for my hobby projects.  Since the Sailrite is only held on with one screw, it no doubt would not be a good way to attach the binder for someone who relies on this professionally. 

20170221_080040.jpg

p.jpg

How could I find the Modified bracket you show here.  I have searched attachment brackets on ebay with no luck.

2 hours ago, Bluefever said:

How could I find the Modified bracket you show here.  I have searched attachment brackets on ebay with no luck.

Is your machine not have a R-side slide plate like singer 111 or 212, or another clone machine, like being discussed in thread topic ? .

Because the R-side slide-plate, will completely mount/hold a ( swing away )  R-angle seam binder attachment you use.  you don't need to use that bed attachment swing arm with mounting to your bed .

On 5/19/2020 at 4:07 PM, nylonRigging said:

Is your machine not have a R-side slide plate like singer 111 or 212, or another clone machine, like being discussed in thread topic ? .

Because the R-side slide-plate, will completely mount/hold a ( swing away )  R-angle seam binder attachment you use.  you don't need to use that bed attachment swing arm with mounting to your bed .

Thank you for the reply.  My machine does Not have holes in the slide plate to the right of the needle.  Unfortunately.

On 2/6/2017 at 6:17 PM, mixmkr said:

My plate had the numbers 98-11 and the slots didn't quite line up with the holes in the bed.... so a little dremel-ing fixed that as you can see.   Earlier in the thread I had a picture before, where I just used one screw with the tabs not really doing anything, hanging off the side.  After a bit, it tended to shift, but won't now.  

And yeah...why drill the machine bed when you can drill a lesser expensive bracket instead?

swing away binder.JPG

Any idea on where I can purchase this 98-11 mounting bracket?  I have searched by 98-11 and cannot find anywhere.

3 hours ago, Bluefever said:

Thank you for the reply.  My machine does Not have holes in the slide plate to the right of the needle.  Unfortunately.

So you do have a R-side slide plate . But you saying .." no holes drilled in it " ?

All you have to do is just drill and tap your own holes in the slide plate to mount a fixed position or a swing-arm bracket for your seam binder . Then just drill/tap a keeper screw for plate hold down to stop any slide moment while sewing . It pretty straight forward to do and slide plates are cheap .
It more compact than that added extra hardware, and all you do is remove the slide plate with binder , and slide in another plain flat plate if want to use machine other than binding .
---

I have owned that exact larger bed bracket swing-arm years back on a seam binder attachment, along with the single smaller swing-arm bracket that is screwed to the Side slide plate in the Pic . and also still have and use a few binders with only using the slide plate mount swing brackets.

In the Pic. by (mixmikr) . There is actually ( 2 ) swing-arm hinge brackets, there doing one job .
a smaller swing-arm bracket screwed to the slide plate, and also a swing-away hing back on the Bed mount bracket attached to it .

To each there own, but ( to me ) it a little redundant for 2 swing-arm brackets with using one binder attachment . I never liked that large hardware bracket and it did nothing but eat up a lot of room, and did not accomplish anything the small slide-plate mount swing-arm did with seam binding a job .
The single smaller hardware, swing bracket on R-side slide plate, with seam bind attachment will do your work perfectly by itself . So Why ? then you join to a larger hardware, with swing bed mount bracket ? . .

( less is more )  and 1 mounted on the slide plate is better than ( 2 ) swing arms . . 2 swing arms is also double the hardware and it also leads to more adjustment moving movements, and added problems with hardware moving and falling out of your set adjustment .

Edited by nylonRigging

7 hours ago, keithski122 said:

This is how I mounted a binder to my machine, I need to change the binder size but should work well like this.Also nice and easy to fit or remove.

rsz_001.thumb.jpg.336db1483e34b78ae7e7868ef44f074d.jpg

-

Hows that Binder set-up tracking on the fold and feed to your materials ?
With that Binder throat screwed down flat like that to slide-plate . Just wondering because I have set-up a lot of Binders on slide-plates, and looks like you have very little ways of changing throat angle positions ? talking about Deg. of angle changes, for throwing Binding feed,  flowing top or Bottom side on the sew .

---
I REALLY prefer a small swing bracket with 90 deg. throat, off the slide-plates for a 1st choice .
But,  If I had my mind made up for a larger hardware, bed-mount swing-bracket .
The one that ( Gregg from Keystone ) put up in that pic. in his Post above in the Thread . I have had that larger swing-arm Bed mount, that Tenn.Attachment  Co. set's-up .
If going that direction... That would be my only go-to choice . as it a hardcore piece of craftsmanship they put out .

To be honest I have no idea how its set up, I just bolted it on so the material to be bound was in roughly the right position with the needle in roughly the right postion and it seemed to work. Its to be used for binding carpet with vinyl material but the thickness of the vinyl causes it to stretch slightly so I need to get a binder with a thicker gap for binding material.

rsz_002.thumb.jpg.195b9cd71c58f4733dfa7171a1f0733f.jpgrsz_004.thumb.jpg.c9995d87ebde869f0a61932cf088c30e.jpg

I've been using a bobbin cover to mount and switch the various binders I use for quite some time....These top-load machines make it very convenient to lock the binders in the position needed to perfectly run the different material/binder combinations, and retain those settings without wasting any time or material to resume work every time you change binders. Simply switch out to another pre-adjusted cover plate/binder combo, or back to a plain cover plate as needed. I shop-make my own plates from mild steel in batches. Machine shown is an old 111W152 someone discarded, resurrected as a dedicated binder. If you don't install a binder needle plate and foot set on these walking foot machines, you may chase your tail for an epoch or so trying to get decent results. DISCLAIMER: I only use this setup on heavy fabrics needing various inside curves, and I mostly use the double fold styles with my own bias tapes. I can't find the odd colors needed in any purchased tapes or webbing.

-DC

Binders.jpg

Binder.jpg

Edited by SARK9

24 minutes ago, SARK9 said:

I've been using a bobbin cover to mount and switch the various binders I use for quite some time....These top-load machines make it very convenient to lock the binders in the position needed to perfectly run the different material/binder combinations, and retain those settings without wasting any time or material to resume work every time you change binders. Simply switch out to another pre-adjusted cover plate/binder combo, or back to a plain cover plate as needed. I shop-make my own plates from mild steel in batches. Machine shown is an old 111W152 someone discarded, resurrected as a dedicated binder. If you don't install a binder needle plate and foot set on these walking foot machines, you may chase your tail for an epoch or so trying to get decent results. DISCLAIMER: I only use this setup on heavy fabrics needing various inside curves, and I mostly use the double fold styles with my own bias tapes. I can't find the odd colors needed in any purchased tapes or webbing.

-DC

Binder.jpg

That bottom Pic. . ( looks like ? )  You running a raised feed dog and raised throat plate, in conjunction with your Binders hardware . Once I started doing that it became much more easy getting the results I wanted .

Your comment on ..." I can't find the odd colors needed in any purchased tapes or webbing ".  ..  finding that right color for your binding tapes I can relate to ..LOL . It can be a big PIA .

That is a job in searching and sometime I just give up and just have a color dye run done at Bally Ribbon . If they don't have it in-stock, they will do you a color dye run for your binding or your webbing . there quality is always A+, and your get what you need.

1 hour ago, nylonRigging said:
1 hour ago, nylonRigging said:

That bottom Pic. . ( looks like ? )  You running a raised feed dog and raised throat plate, in conjunction with your Binders hardware . 

Yes and Yes. I think this is the budget set that has all the parts in one go: https://www.ebay.com/itm/162817911154      Quality wasn't too bad, but it did require a tiny bit of fitting. 

-DC

1 hour ago, SARK9 said:

Yes and Yes. I think this is the budget set that has all the parts in one go: https://www.ebay.com/itm/162817911154      Quality wasn't too bad, but it did require a tiny bit of fitting. 

-DC

ya that Co. ( cutex sewing ) , i have bought a lot of odds and ends from them over last few years. Some are pretty good some not. I would guess about 1 or 2 out of 10 things are subpar on the quality, but the prices are China-Low so you can afford to just throw them away if they fall to far out of Spec. .
That is a good price on the 'raised'  single-needle plate and dogs .  makes setting up single-needle Binding a much easier road on the old singers .

I run a couple double-needle machines on binding and am pretty limited to where to get for, 'raised' dogs and plates for 2-needle Gauge sets .  About only place I know of to get them is direct from Tenn. Attachment . Would love to find ? .. a less expensive alternative on the raised double-needles sets, so I could set-up several more gauge sizes on the needle spreads .

Edited by nylonRigging

Where can I get the bracket to attach to the machine.   This is the square two hindged that wraps under the bed?