Howdy!

A friend of mine asked me to make a hair-on belt for her in exchange for a hair-on cowhide. This was a pretty good deal for both of us since the hide wasn't getting used in any way except for collecting dust in the shed.

This is my first time doing anything with hair-on hide.

Let me know what you think and critique is always welcome!

7787165694735153973.jpg.b2fb656d3c6fb0bac82ab8143ddd4000.jpg5994437152879024823.jpg.d2a67dc2752018823fd71e6931b9bf3e.jpg

636430264472333101.jpg.2a0617f90051693a6454319478633f8a.jpg5703792762168320167.jpg.5c902c80157e19193089997562315a61.jpg8373476825339123788.jpg.f070c16edd4707ddd60b79552d0b0f80.jpg

17 minutes ago, cradom said:

I think it looks fantastic. Good job.

Thanks!

I’ve been thinking about doing a hair on belt myself. 

Yours looks great!!!

What a nice looking belt - great job! 

Any special techniques you used when dealing with hair on?  Sewing technique, cutting or gluing issues?  

A friend gave me some hides from some type of African antelopes and I want to make him something, but am not certain if I should sew them on my machine or hand stitch them.

Gary

3 hours ago, garypl said:

What a nice looking belt - great job! 

Any special techniques you used when dealing with hair on?  Sewing technique, cutting or gluing issues?  

A friend gave me some hides from some type of African antelopes and I want to make him something, but am not certain if I should sew them on my machine or hand stitch them.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Nope. I didn't use any special techniques for it. I just sewed it like anything else and didn't have any problems with cutting it or gluing it. However, I did learn that if you want the hair to hang over an edge, cut the hide hair down on carpet. I wanted both edges to look the same so I cut it on a board. Other than that, there wasn't anything tricky.

Thanks!

-Ryan

3 hours ago, JKHelms said:

I’ve been thinking about doing a hair on belt myself. 

Yours looks great!!!

Thank you! This is my first hair-on product but I really liked it. I want to start doing a lot more with hair-on. 

When/if you make a hair-on belt, send me pics! I'd love to see it. I looked around on the forum for a while looking for hair-on belts but I never found one so I took the plunge by making one without asking someone for advice first. Thankfully it wasn't hard and there were no noticeable mistakes.

4 hours ago, cjartist said:

Yes, great job.  I wouldn't even know how to begin with hair on hide.  Looks great.

Thank you!

Looks great @Rolandranch

This is gorgeous.  Thanks for showing this.  Now another thing added to my to-do list!

18 hours ago, Rolandranch said:

Hi Gary,

Nope. I didn't use any special techniques for it. I just sewed it like anything else and didn't have any problems with cutting it or gluing it. However, I did learn that if you want the hair to hang over an edge, cut the hide hair down on carpet. I wanted both edges to look the same so I cut it on a board. Other than that, there wasn't anything tricky.

Thanks!

-Ryan

Thanks Ryan - when I get around to working with the hides I have I will post some pics!

6 hours ago, Willie0 said:

This is gorgeous.  Thanks for showing this.  Now another thing added to my to-do list!

Thank you! 

I know what you mean. Every time I see something on the forum I really like, my list grows.

Just now, garypl said:

Thanks Ryan - when I get around to working with the hides I have I will post some pics!

For sure! Can't wait to see what you make!

Really well balanced combinations of the soft materials and conchis etc.

I agree with what everyone is saying that's a beautiful belt. I have never used hair on before and seeing that I am going to be buying some sides with hair on.

Very well done!!! I like it. 

Great another thing for my wife to whine about lol the idea of hair on hide makes her skin crawl but I might have to get myself a hide and try it!!