Sledzep01

What to put on work surface?? (plywood)

I have a heavy duty 4x8 table in the basement and I am thinking of setting up my shop there.

The plywood is scratched, and painted in areas (Gouged?) what should I finish it with to protect my projects when working?

I have a cutting mat, and a cutting board for punching. but I want the tabled sealed somehow so when I am swinging a piece of leather around it does not get scratched, and naturally the surface should not rub off, or crack and flake over time.

Oh yeah, and inexpensive too.

I would go with a sheet of melamine board from lowes. Basically what is on your standard art/ drafting table.

Melamine would work well, just glue it down. 

1/8” Tempered hardboard will also work well - seal it and put a coat of wax on it.

As a retired builder and if it were my work bench I would but a sheet of formica and be done with it

I went with MDF, but I've also been cutting long lines in it for straps from double-backs.  It can be sanded out, or reversed, but now I wish I hadn't done it, because of the raised edges of the cuts, and what it can do to veg-tanned leather. 

Sledzep, the melamine, Formica and MDF are all great ideas, but you have to fight the urge to cut something on the new surface, whatever it ends up being. Once you do that, it's a new surface, or major sanding to protect your veg tanned leather. Yes, you have a cutting surface, but will it suffice for a side, double shoulder or whatever? Long cuts are what damage your pristine surface down the road.

Been there..done that!

Jeff

22 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

Sledzep, the melamine, Formica and MDF are all great ideas, but you have to fight the urge to cut something on the new surface, whatever it ends up being. Once you do that, it's a new surface, or major sanding to protect your veg tanned leather. Yes, you have a cutting surface, but will it suffice for a side, double shoulder or whatever? Long cuts are what damage your pristine surface down the road.

Been there..done that!

Jeff

Alpha2 can I buy a giant sheet of cutting mat material? 

I was really thinking you guys would be telling me to use some kind of polyurethane or something. That was my idea (No seams)

I like the idea of a floor covering roll or sheet (melamine, Formica etc) is there anything that can put up with an accidental cut now and then?

I could probably buy enough cutting mats to cover it all for about $150. Thats a lot for me. Plus even if I glue them down I fear my cuts could wiggle when going from edge to edge.

Sled

check this out. 40% off coupon on one item. Make that item the largest cutting board you can afford. Hobby Lobby rocks!

12 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

check this out. 40% off coupon on one item. Make that item the largest cutting board you can afford. Hobby Lobby rocks!

The largest one is in the fabric department.  other than that I've got nothing. unless you have a marble countertop somewhere, or a giant sheet of glass, it will all mar. You just have to prioritize your needs and the cost and adapt. Good luck :)

+1 formica

Edited by Mjolnir
ps

An 8' pine 1x12 will work for making big cuts. I just made some on my floor with a 6' straight edge. I think it was about a 30.00 investment.

Use this set up after you get your nice top on, then you won't be tempted to cut straps on it.

I will look again at hobby lobby and michaels. I bought a large one from Amazon that is 18x24 I did not think they came much larger.

WOW I just did a few better searches and found one that is actually 4' x 8' way too much coin for someone who hasn't stitched a total of 30 inches yet...

But I did see a 36x48 for about $70. I think that will be my next move. IAs I think this through I want to leave an area at one end for my hamering and stuff so when I biy another in the spring I will have a 2 foot strip of just wood at one end for other things.

Sled

The melamine and hard board options both have the advantages of being cheap and easy to replace.  The melamine is also easy to clean.  HDPE would be a great choice but most likely expensive for a 4x8 sheet.

Rodney

EDIT:  I think the others and i are suggesting a new surface as opposed to finishing the existing one because you said the existing surface is rough.  You want a smooth surface.  The new surface over the top would be clean, easy, and smooth.

Edited by rodneywt1180b

A 1/4" thick 4x8 sheet of HDPE will run about 110.00 plus shipping if you don't have access locally. Probably less than 200.00 total and you have a full coverage cutting surface.

5 hours ago, Fowlingpiece said:

A 1/4" thick 4x8 sheet of HDPE will run about 110.00 plus shipping if you don't have access locally. Probably less than 200.00 total and you have a full coverage cutting surface.

So HDPE is a cutting sheet?  How thick is normal? 1/4 inch?

What about the 5 ply double sided turbo versions? do I need a specific thickness I should look for?

I just saw this for 48 x 96 x 1/4 inch for $96.22    https://www.interstateplastics.com/Hdpe-Black-Sheet-HDPBE~~SH.php?&vid=20171219040311-8p&thickness=0.250&dim2=48.00&dim3=96.00&qty=1

Or this one 48x96 but only 1/16 thick. would that be good enough? under $50

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=45356&gclid=CjwKCAiA693RBRAwEiwALCc3uxhCC7uTirzWsFkGlXMGSK0CqSoAsoIaHwGHPDXZD_YAyFAT7GIEMBoCV9sQAvD_BwE

Edited by Sledzep01

I think the thickness really needs to be more than a 1/16” inch.  Just for a tip and what i will only be looking for is something thats states “ wont warp”.

good day

Floyd

7 hours ago, Sledzep01 said:

So HDPE is a cutting sheet?  How thick is normal? 1/4 inch?

What about the 5 ply double sided turbo versions? do I need a specific thickness I should look for?

I just saw this for 48 x 96 x 1/4 inch for $96.22    https://www.interstateplastics.com/Hdpe-Black-Sheet-HDPBE~~SH.php?&vid=20171219040311-8p&thickness=0.250&dim2=48.00&dim3=96.00&qty=1

Or this one 48x96 but only 1/16 thick. would that be good enough? under $50

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=45356&gclid=CjwKCAiA693RBRAwEiwALCc3uxhCC7uTirzWsFkGlXMGSK0CqSoAsoIaHwGHPDXZD_YAyFAT7GIEMBoCV9sQAvD_BwE

Just for fun I checked the cost to ship the 1/4” piece to Georgia - with shipping my cost will be $346.00!  I think I will stick with a $19 piece of tempered hardboard and a couple of cutting mats from Hobby Lobby...

Wood dough ---> $5.00

Sandpaper ---> $6.00

Spar Urethane ---> $17.00

As I been interested in the plastic surfaces seriously, I did an earlier search long ago. 

A brief result from a laymen plastic perspective is: HDPE is the most used plastic worldwide. There are “ many “ formulations.  

I wanted to mention that point as most of our kitchen and outback cutting boards are warped, and both are enviroments used extensively. A lot of these areas are even “out” of the sun. This goes to my point looking at certain product formulas addressing the warp!. Respectfully this is the only reason i posted. btdt 

Before weeks end I would like to make a decision on a better product formula. I have an area thats been in planning for far to long. This crazy plan is the only cutting surface area available. Reasoning for this is other painted surfaces are used and no cuts allowed!

I do recall many shops, and some I worked in ages ago used masonite.  This being  regular and some shops used hardened for the table surfaces. Both put a clear coat of laquer at first or eventually.

good day

Floyd

I have Chickened out...

Not going to set up in the basement, YET. I am brand new at this. I am going to use my old office/bedroom upstairs. it already has a long oval dining room table as a desk, and I even have 2 more leaves for it. Plus it is heated and cooled and looks out over my backyard... already has a TV and Tunes... I just will not be able to use a hammer as late in the evening unless I run to the basement.

What was I thinking???

Besides all the rest of the tools I still need/want. I will buy a 36x48 cutting mat.

Sled

I use a large Formica table top and  for a mat( cutting bed).  Semi mud flaps purchased at your local truck stop.  Just get the ones with no lettering or raised sections. Large, cheap, doesn’t damage knife edge or punch ends, easily replaced and doesn’t stain!! They work awsome!!

All of my tables are uhmw shower stall separators if you can find a construction company that has recently tore down and remodel the bathroom the stall dividers work fantastically

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 11:25 AM, Sanch said:

All of my tables are uhmw shower stall separators if you can find a construction company that has recently tore down and remodel the bathroom the stall dividers work fantastically

brilliant. but never ever, ever lay down your sandwich while working.