immiketoo

Celtic Knot Tutorial for Railrider1920

@Railrider1920, here's that quick tutorial I promised you.  I hope it helps you on your journey. If you have ANY questions, feel free to ask.

Mike

Many thanks, I will give it a go

Good info thanks!

I posted it on my personal FB page for my leather craft friends to see...

1 hour ago, TacticallySharp said:

I posted it on my personal FB page for my leather craft friends to see...

Cool.

Wow! If you ever find your way to Norway, give me a shout @immiketoo I would love to learn from you :o 

1 hour ago, Raksha said:

Wow! If you ever find your way to Norway, give me a shout @immiketoo I would love to learn from you :o 

Have you considered going to the ELWATS show in Arnhem in October?  I'll be teaching a class there.  Otherwise, I LOVE to travel!

1 hour ago, immiketoo said:

Have you considered going to the ELWATS show in Arnhem in October?  I'll be teaching a class there.  Otherwise, I LOVE to travel!

It's not so easy for me to travel due to health issues (getting oooooooold :lol:  34 - going on 95) but it is a big dream! If you ever come to norway I have a very pink girls room (my 5 year old daughters room) as guest room :lol:  Norway is lovley! Cold though, accoring to my freinds greek hubby. 

Wow Mike, that is so cool looking. Thank you very much!! I'm so stoked to start now. I'm going to try to find a piece of granite today and hopefully start some carving.

I've been at work the last few days or I would have responded sooner.

If you ever find yourself back in the states in New Orleans, New York or the Fla Panhandle, please let me know. I owe you at least a few beverages for the video.

Thanks again!

Rob

1 minute ago, Railrider1920 said:

Wow Mike, that is so cool looking. Thank you very much!! I'm so stoked to start now. I'm going to try to find a piece of granite today and hopefully start some carving.

I've been at work the last few days or I would have responded sooner.

If you ever find yourself back in the states in New Orleans, New York or the Fla Panhandle, please let me know. I owe you at least a few beverages for the video.

Thanks again!

Rob

Rob, you don't owe me anything, but I'm always down for a beer with a leatherworker.  I get that life gets in the way, so no worries.  If you need any help, just let me know :)

11 hours ago, immiketoo said:

but I'm always down for a beer with a leatherworker.

How about a leather destroyer lol

Thank you for the video.   

I like the weights you use.  

1 hour ago, Scoutmom103 said:

Thank you for the video.   

I like the weights you use.  

Me too.  They were made for me by justkate

Just a tip. I take my design, reverse print it on a laser printer then place it on the piece toner side down, saturate the design with acetone, then either use a creaser or even better a hot iron or press at 250F, which will transfer the toner onto the leather. I also use this on suede when someone wants some text on a piece or a signature. 

Bob

Good tip.  We do that too, but for this piece, its good to demo the benefits and pitfalls of tracing.  Plus, if you aren't adding color to your piece, the transfer method doesn't work.

33 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

Good tip.  We do that too, but for this piece, its good to demo the benefits and pitfalls of tracing.  Plus, if you aren't adding color to your piece, the transfer method doesn't work.

Not sure what you mean? I just finished a piece and the lines of toner are obliterated by the cuts. I make my lines 3 pixels.

BTW I like your idea of using the bevel first. I used  small modeling spoon instead and made the actual beveling much easier, faster and smoother. Thanks! Always a new tweak in this business!

Edited by BDAZ

I am referring to transfers that are more than just line art, but out of curiosity, how do you adjust line thickness on images?  Are you creating your own files?

I did almost the identical graphic in this tutorial the other day, which I downloaded via Google. First I drop it into Photoshop. Next I eliminate any background, usually white. If it is a .png it may already be on a transparent background. The I select the remaining image and create a new layer. I fill the layer with white and stroke it with a 3 pixel stroke. Could be wider, but 3 pixels is the width of a knife cut. Then I reverse the image and  print it on standard paper. 

I apply it to the leather and either iron it (at least 260F) on or use my press or saturate the paper with alcohol and use a creaser.

If it was sa a photograph, I would trace it on a new layer in photoshop and then print as above.

Edited by BDAZ

Oh you're a photoshop guru!  Nice!

Yup, Started on Photoshop beta in the 80s.

BDAZ, thanks for the tips. 

On 6/28/2018 at 9:21 PM, BDAZ said:

80s

What is your avatar? It looks like a leather carving. Do you have a bigger pic you would share?

Quick question, where do you find a tool like the one used for pre-beveling or swivel beveling?  I am coming up blank on the type of tool or just am not seeing it.