Got asked to "check out" a fakebook page, buyin/sellin/swappin things for leather. 

But apparently, can't get to that page from a business page, I guess only personal account?  Yeah, okay -- create a personal account.  No, you really DON"T need to know my date of birth to sell me leather tools, but ... fine, create personal account.

But apparently can't see the "conversation" until you join the group.  So, you're joining a group you don't know what it's about.  Now that you've provided your full name and date of birth.  None of which has anything to do with selling me leather equipment.

So, fine - join the group.  And get a note saying you're "pending" ...

:rofl:  Some people just OUT OF CONTROL arrogant.  WTH exactly do these people think they are?@!  Hey, you DON"T wanna sell / swap your stuff, just keep doing what you're doing.  

And the "cobra machine" group, same thing.  And some "artisan digital poo" thing, same thing.  Wow -- I guess if nobody tells you you're "special", gotta say it yourself?@!  Thanks anyway, folks... that's like a store stocking the shelves, then requiring ID at the door :rofl:  You can keep it, then ...

This, to a great extent, is why I am not on that or the tweety thing.

No need for all of that information, AND I do not know who can access it from within groups.

I am not a luddite, but there are some lines I would rather not cross.

Good shout.

H

Yup. If somebody random dialed your number (so they have your number) and said they need your full name and date of birth, would you give it to them?  Other way, if they had your name, would you then give them your phone # and date of birth?  Or would you conclude that they 1) are insane, or 2) have decided that you are an idiot.

fakebook.  ANY "closed" group requires that, right?  Realisitcally, WHY would a group even be "closed"?  If you sell something, wouldn't you WANT it seen? 

Got a message from fakebook.. want my mobile phone #, wont let me log in without it.  Nah.. I don't think I need to provide a phone number, or my name, or my birth date, or anything else to somebody NOT EVEN THE ONE selling me something.

Incidentally, my credit has been LOCKED for a long time.  If I ever decide to finance anything, THEN I would unlock it long enough to run teh credit, before putting the lock RIGHT BACK on ;)

What part of 'none of your business' are people not getting these days?  I guess when you have a world where people actually kill themselves trying to post pics of what they're doing ...

With a name and date of birth it would be easy to get an address and then magically become that person to do who knows what. Sometimes it pays to be a little paranoid and ask what for. A friend of mine had his identity stolen from a old electricians licence which back in the day had his social insurance number on it. Name, address, social insurance number bingo. He had a hell of a time getting it sorted out.

kgg

And of course face book is getting dragged over the coals for a huge data beach 

And all this time I thought I was alone in my views....

We could start a group, just message me your...

Nah, that wont work

H

I tried facebook for about a week.  I hated the format and haven't looked back. 

My wife likes it and uses it.  Closed groups do have their place.  She belongs to one for caregivers of melanoma patients.  I'm the patient.  It's closed so the people on it can say what they're going to say privately, including venting about the patient.  It's been a huge help to her in dealing with my illness.

I like topical forums like this one and the others I belong to.

It's very simple actually. Most of these forums are trade related to a specific type of tool for the trade like stamps or dies. If you don't make them private and have a moderator you wind up having every swinging D%^4 trying to sell everything from a Matchbox car to their widget arm. If it is private the moderators can make sure the content is relevant and does not contain things the target customers are interested. I'm a member of 3 or 4 of them and have made dozens of successful purchases and also made a lot of good business contacts.

I guess to each their own. The name and birthday info just keeps the bots and fake accounts out.

It's about spam and harassment.

My wife runs a "moms only" groups in our town with over 1000 girls in the group, about pregnancy, parenting and growing up with kids. . The only way to keep it moms only is to have it closed and approve every single member after checking they are indeed a) real person b ) a parent or soon to be. If the group was not closed it would not take long for all kinds of creeps to  start showing up. Sad but true.

5 hours ago, JLSleather said:

What part of 'none of your business' are people not getting these days? 

They don't get it, because it doesn't exist anymore.  They've freely handed out their privacy to the corporate world, who in turn sells it for a profit.  This is how fake book makes money.  Folks don't understand why you would object to giving away your privacy for nothing, after all, they did no problem.  The answer I always heard was "Why, what do you have to hide?"

They miss the point.  Even they have nothing to hide today.  But tomorrow, when someone decides that your opinion is against the grain of society, at a minimum you are open to severe harassment, online and offline.  Just check out that big Eastern country, maintaining a data bank on how socially acceptable you are to decide what kind of school and job your kids get, or how much credit you get or the job you get or where you are allowed to live.  Good luck with that.

YinTx

15 hours ago, Mark842 said:

The name and birthday info just keeps the bots and fake accounts out

I don't know that it would -- I could have just lied, with a fictitious name and a free email account :dunno:  And I assume that many do exactly that.  A "business contact" MIGHT need my full name and phone number, but certainly not my birth date.  And fakebook wouldn't justifiably need any of that, since they are not the contact, merely the whiteboard.

13 hours ago, LetterT said:

have it closed and approve every single member after checking

AND .. there you have it.  Somebody thinks they have a right, or permission, to "checking" YOU.  Which is unacceptable.  IF I purchase something, then you would have my credit card number.  And the address where I want it sent, if needed.  But not the rest.

I had a faceache book thingy for about 2 or 3 years about 4 years ago. I did not use any of my true info for it; false name, false d.o.b., false email addy, false cell phone number. . . . you get the idea. Amazing how many people knew me and had seen me in the coffee shop/computer shop/library/ down at town hall

I only had it cos a group I was involved with notified committee members of meetings only by facebook message

Thing is; facey spook is a service. Although you do not pay anything you buy into it thus the provider can ask for any info they want as long as its not illegal to do so. Its their play park, you have to play by their rules or don't play. I decided I no longer wanted to play with them.

17 hours ago, kgg said:

With a name and date of birth it would be easy to get an address and then magically become that person to do who knows what. Sometimes it pays to be a little paranoid and ask what for. . . .

This.

In N.I. we still have a very real problem of terrorists attacking and trying to kill LEA, prison guards, civil servants. None of these are allowed to have a facebake account in case their details are gleaned

8 hours ago, JLSleather said:

I don't know that it would -- I could have just lied, with a fictitious name and a free email account :dunno:  And I assume that many do exactly that.  A "business contact" MIGHT need my full name and phone number, but certainly not my birth date.  And fakebook wouldn't justifiably need any of that, since they are not the contact, merely the whiteboard.

Well then lie and make a fake account or don't. I don't care. You asked why there are closed groups and I answered. Don't like joining them? Still a free world, don't join them.

44 minutes ago, Mark842 said:

make a fake account or don't. I don't care.

Sorry -- I must have said something in a manner that could be construed as trying to convince you of ... something.  I'm not. 

I'm not joining, and neither you or I will care.  So we're good.

Obviously you cared enough about to start the thread. I was just answering a question...Just try to help where I can.

Anyway, i'll let you go back to bitching about things you don't care about and won't bother commenting.

I just lie. But then I haven’t tried to join any groups. Just family and friends. Mostly they already know where I live...

You still ain’t said what page on that face page. There’s several like that. Think it has to do with admins wanting to control who comes in and stays out. Kinda like a treehouse club. What amazes me is how folks gets behind a keypad and all of sudden they’re 6’6” 230 pounds of lean muscle. :whistle:

It's a buy / sell /trade "group" supposed to be about some leather equipment.  Whatever -- they don't want to sell the stuff, guess they welcome to keep it.  Not the only rodeo in town.

15 hours ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

But then I haven’t tried to join any groups.

Yup, me neither.  I think I did get invited to a "closed" group years back, but ran into this, didn't join, and then forgot about it.  So when somebody asked me to check out this other group, I had completely forgotten about this foolishness. 

I really do not think anybody can give a VALID reason why you would need to provide name, date of birth, and phone so you can buy/sell tooling.  I make a call and spend a couple thousand dollars at a time and have NEVER been asked my date of birth.  In fact, that credit card reads 'JLS Leather', but I generally don't get asked that either.  Just what I want, where to ship it, and the card number ... The CARD ISSUER knows my date of birth, but not the vendor, not the vendor's employee, not the switchboard operator at the company .... 

People running all over the world, and particularly in this country, talking about identity theft.  But git right down to it, most people simply don't "believe' it can happen to them.  You'll see them on occasion -- "all i did is enter my name, date of birth, at least one of my phone numbers (and by default my i.p. address and location)-- to people who may or may not be who they say they are - so using my identity is being a meany".

Not surprising, the people asking you for this information havent provided THEIRS to you.

Edited by JLSleather

99.9% of your personal data is easily obtainable. Don't ask me how I know.

Sam

I think it's entirely generation by generation. I'd be willing to bet that those who like to think they are being safe are of an older crowd.

Facebook is a great networking tool. Giving your cell number assures you can get back into your acct should you lose or forget your password or sign-in info. No email boogey back and forth with pass-phrases etc.

Another way closed groups are used. Online gamer's who are in teams use closed groups to strategize and not worry about "spies"

20 minutes ago, DV8DUG said:

Giving your cell number assures you can get back into your acct

Yeah, I've heard the old line -- giving us MORE information makes you MORE secure.  Sure.