MedusaOblongata

Cowboy 3200 making noise

After 3 months and about 15 hours of use, my previously flawless Cowboy 3200 (from Toledo) just started making this creaking, croaking, groaning noise. It sounds like it's coming from the motor, not the head, and sounds the same whether there is leather or thread in it. It has been oiled, both regularly and recently.

Despite the new noise it just started making, it still sews just fine, but it does concern me. Any ideas?

I always wonder why people go public with their issues instead of contacting the dealer they bought from.

Anyway, to me it looks like your V-Belts are too tight and sound may come from the speed reducer. Look at your motor it seems to be in an angle probably because of overtightened V-Belt?

I would loosen or remove the V-Belts an check all involved parts (motor, SR, machine head) individually

I agree with Constabulary. Remove the all the belts and narrow down from where the noise is coming from and readjust position of motor. May need longer belts.

kgg

If my machine makes any type of strange  noise, I start to sweat!!  It did once and all it was , was a blunt needle. Replace the needle, all fixed. But wouldn't  have thought  that such a brute of a machine  would be affected  by a blunt needle, I was so wrong. 

HS 

Does look like that motor is 'cocked' a bit.  Taking teh belt off should tell a guy quickly.  Step down far enough, hard enough, to rotate that motor a bit.. if it wasn't tight .... 

Being basically lazy, I might put a mark on the pulley, just so I could first tell if it's "happening" at the same point each rotation (looks to be the case, but i'd confirm).  Realign, see if it's still the same 'place'.

4 hours ago, Constabulary said:

I always wonder why people go public with their issues instead of contacting the dealer they bought from.

I think because thats why they joined this awesome forum. They get real life people with real life experience, like you,  instead of the possibility of someone that just was hired and doesn't have a clue, says bring it in, send it to us, etc.  if its a simple fix like a misaligned belt they may not tell you that, they may sell you a new motor. When you fix a problem yourself you then have gained valuable knowledge and understanding , when you have someone else fix it they have the knowledge and you have a bill every time it breaks.

Agree with the others - The motor is cocked, and the belt is squeaking because it's making an angular contact with the pulleys, instead of straight line pull.

Take off the machine to belt pulley and run it. If it's still making the noise. Take off the other belt and spin the reducer by hand. If no noise belts could be too tight or need belt conditioner. 

If spun by hand and here a noise, possible could be defective bearing in the reducer.

31 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

I think because thats why they joined this awesome forum. They get real life people with real life experience, like you,  instead of the possibility of someone that just was hired and doesn't have a clue, says bring it in, send it to us, etc.  if its a simple fix like a misaligned belt they may not tell you that, they may sell you a new motor. When you fix a problem yourself you then have gained valuable knowledge and understanding , when you have someone else fix it they have the knowledge and you have a bill every time it breaks.

Nothing wrong with going public - generally - but when I have issues with a 3 month old car or TV  or lawnmower or what ever the 1st thing I´d do is to contact my  dealer before I go public.  And Toledo (he mentioned them) really has a great reputation so that would be my 1st way. Pretty sure they are real life people ;)

For sure there are "certain dealers" or should I say sellers who prefer making a buck instead of giving you support for your recently bought machine. But I doubt any of the Cowboy dealers would go that way.

Anyway - MedusaOblongata I hope you don´t feel offended, if so - I´m sorry but IMO the dealer should have the 1st chance to make it right or give you support one or the other way.

3 hours ago, Constabulary said:

And Toledo (he mentioned them) really has a great reputation

Bob 'n' friends one of the few I actually recommend. :cheers:

Thank you all so much for the replies. I disconnected the belts and spun each component separately and it's the speed reducer that's making the noise, definitely not the motor or the head. Oddly, it just started happening, nothing else had changed. I'm not sure what would make that happen, how to quiet it, or whether it's a sign of something bad or just a noise? Is there a spot on the speed reducer that needs to be oiled?

As far as why I posted here first, it wasn't to badmouth Bob or Toledo or Cowboy. I've learned most of what I know about leatherworking from the knowledgeable and helpful folks here on this forum. And long before leatherwork, I discovered forums as one of the absolute best places on the internet to find friends, camaraderie, information, answers, and ideas. Every time I have a question, the first thing I do is search the relevant forum.  It was from this forum that the Cowboy was recommended, on this forum that Toledo was recommended, on this forum that I learned about leather sewing machines and what they can do. This is where my experts are.

I apologize if my post came across in a negative way. I am grateful for each of you who've taken the time out of your day to respond to my problem.

Thank you.

Edited by MedusaOblongata

Maybe the bearings are bad, or dry on the reducer. Or, perhaps the belts were too tight.

The cause of the noise is obvious

the belt is to short.. machine is in a 9 line bind on a downward pull

if you keep running the machine the shaft bearings ARE  going  to wear out then you will need another motor 

crooked.png

How to measure for a belt

remove old belt

run a string around the pulleys

mark the string where the 2 ends meet

measure the string. that is the length you need

1 hour ago, Frodo said:

The cause of the noise is obvious

the belt is to short.

IS IT?  Or is the CHAIN shortened too much?  Relaxing the chain (to the foot control) should let the motor level, right?@!

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

IS IT?  Or is the CHAIN shortened too much?  Relaxing the chain (to the foot control) should let the motor level, right?@!

lol.  good point

:cheers:

I'd say belt.The chain has nothing to do with the motor, you can see the motor/pedal linkage down on the left. Re-adjust the motor mount to give a bit of slack  between the motor and the reducer. Bearings don't usually squeak when they're starting to fail, they tend to make more horrible grunching/grating/rumbling noises.

Make sure everything is aligned and running true - and not drum-tight.

I emailed a link to the video to Toledo, and Bob said it's a bearing and he sent out a new speed reducer, which I've installed and it's working quietly now. I'll be mailing the old one back to him and hopefully he'll let me know if this is due to some kind of user error. 

Props for Bob's customer service.

Excellent service. Without having the actual unit to play with I would never have guessed the bearing, going by the fault description.Most peculiar.

On 12/15/2019 at 4:08 PM, dikman said:

Excellent service. Without having the actual unit to play with I would never have guessed the bearing, going by the fault description.Most peculiar.

We're glad that's all it was. Thanks for your patience. Just received old one today. And it's loud. LOL

Unfortunately sometimes these things happen. 

Bobby

I LOVE posts like this: problem, video, trouble shooting/opinions, resolution! 

I go here first, spend a  maddening amount of time researching, reading. Ponder, tinker (aka cuss), fix it or don't, possibly make it worse. Call professionals as a last resort. 

(After years of getting lost, I actually do ask for directions if necessary travelling. Just sayin'.)

Best,

David