Jump to content
wang369

PLEASE advise how to boost my business

Recommended Posts

Hi, guys! these are my products, all handmade alligator watch straps. I currently start my business in Vancouver Canada. I have no experience in launch my business online. please give me some advice to help me to get more followers on Instagram. I dont even know if I could post my Instagram address here tho. so please if you like my handmade products. please let me know. Thank you very much. My Instagram name is Jones_leather_bespoke

IMG_2616-min.JPG

IMG_2618-min.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know nothing about Instagram as a selling medium, but love your straps, I would suggest letting someone else sell the straps for you, like a upmarket watch shop. I would suggest make say 6 and offer them to a shop selling Rolex or other high end watches on a sale or return basis for 3-6 months

You get a fair price for each one sold and the shop gets its own profit for displaying and selling, then try other shops in other area's and hey presto your a business. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YouTube has a lot of information on how to boost your online business presence. Spend a little time on there. Some leather folks have leather specific videos as well.

I do like the idea @chrisash tossed out there too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just for grins I went onto the internet and typed 'Alligator Watch Strap' into the search bar and found an unbelievable amount of them.  I imagine the same would happen If I chose to type in 'Crocodile'.

It seems to me the market is already covered.  I'm not trying to dissuade you from your endeavor, but you have to be realistic.  If you are trying to break into a market that already has a plethora of choices, how are you going to do that?

I guess that's what you are here to figure out.  I don't have any answers except to say that in business, when you are selling something similar to many others, you have to find other ways to differentiate yourself.

That might be in service, for example.  Maybe you can offer quick turnaround time on orders.  Perhaps customization isn't available in alligator straps and you begin to provide the opportunity for purchasers to have a say in how they are made.  You give a choice of buckle, for example, both color and style.  You offer a deployment-style as an upgrade perhaps.  

Ask yourself this question, "why would someone want to buy from me and not the other hundred companies offering a similar product".  Answer that and you are closer to discovering your niche.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

( Tugadude ) said a lot of the reality of selling handcraft . You have to stand-out with a unique niche items that nobody offers, or If your selling something that is already mass produced, you have to make something special about it, to make people want to take the step to your handcraft .
I find ' Word Of Mouth ' is still strong . Positive experience using, and positive with people sharing your craft. The world is diluted and impersonal with internet access at touch of a finger, So word of mouth is gold. along with people physically showing other's what you made for them.

Make and work a website and push it . Or buy 'vendor access ' on a high traffic website that hold a lot of people of similar interest that need what you sell . take it to street like sales booth 'Saturday market' . take it to a brick mortar retail sales .
Instagram good for 'sharing' peoples experience with 'Pictures' of your product, and post pictures of them praising what you sold them using internet/globally . but unless you 'sell' then there is no way for people to 'share ' your name and craft.
.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are able to sell your straps for resale, you might talk to some of the better watch stores and men's fashion shops in Vancouver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Sonydaze said:

If you are able to sell your straps for resale, you might talk to some of the better watch stores and men's fashion shops in Vancouver.

yeah! I'm working on talking to those big sales guys on better stores. but due to the coronavirus. no one is working right now. good call! thank you very much 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2020 at 1:25 AM, chrisash said:

I know nothing about Instagram as a selling medium, but love your straps, I would suggest letting someone else sell the straps for you, like a upmarket watch shop. I would suggest make say 6 and offer them to a shop selling Rolex or other high end watches on a sale or return basis for 3-6 months

You get a fair price for each one sold and the shop gets its own profit for displaying and selling, then try other shops in other area's and hey presto your a business. 

Thank you for your suggestions! I was doing exactly as you said to the local stores before the coronavirus hits the market. walking to the store and speak to the sell manger was very smooth in the beginning until a store bought 3 from me. it very boosted my confidence.  

On 3/26/2020 at 5:24 AM, battlemunky said:

YouTube has a lot of information on how to boost your online business presence. Spend a little time on there. Some leather folks have leather specific videos as well.

I do like the idea @chrisash tossed out there too.

Thank you very much !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2020 at 7:56 AM, Tugadude said:

Just for grins I went onto the internet and typed 'Alligator Watch Strap' into the search bar and found an unbelievable amount of them.  I imagine the same would happen If I chose to type in 'Crocodile'.

It seems to me the market is already covered.  I'm not trying to dissuade you from your endeavor, but you have to be realistic.  If you are trying to break into a market that already has a plethora of choices, how are you going to do that?

I guess that's what you are here to figure out.  I don't have any answers except to say that in business, when you are selling something similar to many others, you have to find other ways to differentiate yourself.

That might be in service, for example.  Maybe you can offer quick turnaround time on orders.  Perhaps customization isn't available in alligator straps and you begin to provide the opportunity for purchasers to have a say in how they are made.  You give a choice of buckle, for example, both color and style.  You offer a deployment-style as an upgrade perhaps.  

Ask yourself this question, "why would someone want to buy from me and not the other hundred companies offering a similar product".  Answer that and you are closer to discovering your niche.

 

totally! for now, I can say my delivery time and price are the most compatible things. but I got what you mean by creating a unique for my product. Thank you   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad its working out for you, maybe some other sales like Gun Holsters to gun shops, or Belts to upmarket mens shops, you have the option of selling yourself as well as getting someone else to sell for you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, chrisash said:

Glad its working out for you, maybe some other sales like Gun Holsters to gun shops, or Belts to upmarket mens shops, you have the option of selling yourself as well as getting someone else to sell for you

yep man, totally. Thanks a lot 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

start making cheap shoes to stand in line for the soup kitchens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess Instagram could be a great thing for you to start with. I recommend reading some books about marketing and building a business. I’ve recently finished reading a book about Steve Jobs, so I can say that the knowledge of his biography has given me a lot in developing my business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2022 at 3:59 PM, JaidynFriedman said:

I guess Instagram could be a great thing for you to start with. I recommend reading some books about marketing and building a business. I’ve recently finished reading a book about Steve Jobs, so I can say that the knowledge of his biography has given me a lot in developing my business.

Then you’ll be able to analyze the articles like this wallstreetoasis.com/resources/financial-modeling/dcf-model-training-free-guide. In short, you should try promoting your business on Instagram. Keep us updated on your business. Wish you good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2020 at 11:58 AM, chuck123wapati said:

start making cheap shoes to stand in line for the soup kitchens.

Very good advice Chuck or you could get into jack boots for the new regime ya!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Limiting yourself to just 1 platform is very limiting indeed.  Use multiple platforms.  Add in FB, Etsy, etc.  Sell at craft fairs and farmers markets.   

Also, expand your product lines.  Limiting yourself to 1 product line is limiting indeed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Donate some stuff to charity auctions. Christmas is a good time for his. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For my part, I can offer what I myself have tried. I bought a laser marker and do custom engraving on leather goods. 1. they become unique. 2. you fulfill the wishes of the customer. 3. the product grows in value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...