Arutemu

My first leather sheath

A friend of mine made a hunting knife, but had no sheath for it. So I decided to try my hand, killing two birds with one stone - make a sheath for a friend and learn in the process. Since he had already used this knife on a deer hunt, I put a deer stamp along with his initials on it. I was pretty pleased with myself, considering this was a first. Youtube rules!

3929072429378480601.jpg

-2656511101895049863.jpg

Edited by Arutemu

Nice job. 

Great first project! My first project was a keyfob for my sister's birthday. 

Awesome first start. I wish my first round looked as good!

First rule of knife sheath...you must show the knife and the sheath!

Good Job on the sheath!

1 hour ago, kiwican said:

First rule of knife sheath...you must show the knife and the sheath!

Good Job on the sheath!

Oh! I thought you said "First rule of knife FIGHTS"(see Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid)!

17 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

Oh! I thought you said "First rule of knife FIGHTS"(see Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid)!

I will review said movie tonight! Great movie !

On 10/14/2020 at 12:36 PM, Arutemu said:

A friend of mine made a hunting knife, but had no sheath for it. So I decided to try my hand, killing two birds with one stone - make a sheath for a friend and learn in the process. Since he had already used this knife on a deer hunt, I put a deer stamp along with his initials on it. I was pretty pleased with myself, considering this was a first. Youtube rules!

Nice Job. I hope you've got a welt in there else it will cut the thread eventually.

Very nice look and some nice clothes for that knife.

I am curious does the belt loop stop where the snap loop on the handle is or does it go all the way back down.  If it goes back down is there a second rivet on the inside to help hold it?  Just wondering cause ifnjuat 1 rivet it might move.  I'm assuming it doesnt stop at the snap loop cause it would flip around then.

Keep making it just gets better theore you make 

Ross

15 hours ago, toxo said:

Nice Job. I hope you've got a welt in there else it will cut the thread eventually.

Yep, there's a welt in there. Without it it would be a much faster job, but it makes for a much more reliable (and safer) hold. Unfortunately, I am yet to find a convenient and quick way of reliably punching through 3 layers of leather and being able to remove the chisel with ease.

12 hours ago, Rossr said:

Very nice look and some nice clothes for that knife.

I am curious does the belt loop stop where the snap loop on the handle is or does it go all the way back down.  If it goes back down is there a second rivet on the inside to help hold it?  Just wondering cause ifnjuat 1 rivet it might move.  I'm assuming it doesnt stop at the snap loop cause it would flip around then.

Thanks! Yes, the belt loop goes all the way down, so that the bottom rivet is holding 3 layers together. There's a second rivet on the inside, closer to the top edge, holding the inside of the loop and the back of the sheath together.

Edited by Arutemu

49 minutes ago, Arutemu said:

Unfortunately, I am yet to find a convenient and quick way of reliably punching through 3 layers of leather and being able to remove the chisel with ease.

Great looking first attempt. It looks clean and very functional. YouTube is your friend in leatherworking.

Regarding the ease of punching through multiple layers, there's many thousands of combined years of experience on here and we haven't either. About the easiest is to use the chisel to either mark or punch through one side and then once glued, use an awl to got the rest of the way through the rest of the layers. There is no "easy" way.

That looks awesome. nice clean design. I've yet to get into knife sheath making. I hope mine turns out half as good as yours. :)