Warhauk

My snaps are crooked

I'm using some L20 snaps that I got from hobby lobby when I first started buying hardware for my leather. I'm not sure if it is me or the snaps causing the problem, but I just can't seem to set the snap straight. It comes out misaligned every time and all the tips and instructions I've found in videos don't really work. Setting rivets goes perfectly though. Any advice would be appreciated.

It isn't the snaps.  I've had the same issues with all sorts of snaps and have come to the conclusion it is difficult to keep them perfectly straight when setting them.  A press, designed for the task is helpful in reducing problems.  If the leather is thin and there is a lot of post exposed the issue becomes even worse.  I've seen videos on youtube that offer suggestions on how to reduce or eliminate the problem.  You might try searching for some there.

I don't use those but I do use the spring/glove snaps.  When setting them you don't wallop them with the hammer.  It's better with a series of light blows all the while moving the tool in a circular motion so that it flares the post evenly.  

are the posts to long for the material? if so they will bend offset every time

21 minutes ago, mike02130 said:

I don't use those but I do use the spring/glove snaps.  When setting them you don't wallop them with the hammer.  It's better with a series of light blows all the while moving the tool in a circular motion so that it flares the post evenly.  

Yes keep turning the setting tool with light taps with a mallet.

Hope this helps

JCUK

Edited by jcuk

2 hours ago, Warhauk said:

I'm using some L20 snaps that I got from hobby lobby when I first started buying hardware for my leather. I'm not sure if it is me or the snaps causing the problem, but I just can't seem to set the snap straight. It comes out misaligned every time and all the tips and instructions I've found in videos don't really work. Setting rivets goes perfectly though. Any advice would be appreciated.

Go to Hobby Lobby . . . ask for their snap setting tool . . . 

It works really great on line 24 . . . and I would imagine on the line 20 as well.  And it does not make any difference how long the post is . . . if it is long enough . . . they work great.

They had a 1/2 price sale going the other day . . . bought me a new one then. 

May God bless,

Dwight

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Fabric-Sewing/Sewing-Quilting-Notions/Fasteners/Heavy-Duty-Snap-Pliers---5-8/p/109268

Edited by Dwight

3 hours ago, Warhauk said:

Line 20 snaps work well in 3 - 4 oz leather thickness for things like change purses. For a bit thicker leather (5 - 6 oz) like that used in a jackknife case, we could use either the line 20 snap or the line 24 snap with regular post. If you get into 8 - 9 oz leather thickness for belts, you will need the line 24 snap with the long post.

I had that problem, I started placing the anvil on my poly cutting board instead of the granite slab and the problem stopped.  What I think was happening was the anvil was sliding on the granite; if I hit it just a bit too hard the anvil slipped and the post offset.  With my arthritis I can't squeeze one of those setting tools so I'm forced to use a mallet on snaps and I generally try to use Chicago Screws where I can.

4 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

In my experience that's the problem 99% of the time.  

Unfortunately you just have to stock different snaps with different length posts and choose the correct length for every different thickness of leather. 

It just adds to my hardware anxiety LOL

47 minutes ago, Spyros said:

Unfortunately you just have to stock different snaps with different length posts and choose the correct length for every different thickness of leather. 

That tool from Hobby Lobby will also cure this problem.  I carry one length of snaps . . . have very little trouble with this tool.

May God bless,

Dwight

59 minutes ago, Spyros said:

11 minutes ago, Dwight said:

That tool from Hobby Lobby will also cure this problem.  I carry one length of snaps . . . have very little trouble with this tool.

May God bless,

Dwight

very cool i may have to check that out.  Suffice it to say he has a couple options to cure his problem.

What tool from Hobby Lobby?  It's getting ridiculous here, I have like 5 drawers full of hardware to the brim, and still I always seem to miss something...

5 hours ago, Spyros said:

What tool from Hobby Lobby?  It's getting ridiculous here, I have like 5 drawers full of hardware to the brim, and still I always seem to miss something...

Just go to the leather section in hobby lobby. It is a little kit with gold and silver snaps, an anvil, and a dinky 2 inch setter. lol literally that small. It is $8.99. It works, but not a tool I enjoyed using. I returned it and bought one from tandy that has a longer post to hold onto. Double the size than the hobby lobby one. Practice first because there is a learning curve with these. 

4 hours ago, Runzeigrun said:

Just go to the leather section in hobby lobby. It is a little kit with gold and silver snaps, an anvil, and a dinky 2 inch setter. lol literally that small. It is $8.99. It works, but not a tool I enjoyed using. I returned it and bought one from tandy that has a longer post to hold onto. Double the size than the hobby lobby one. Practice first because there is a learning curve with these. 

What the?  LOL

image.thumb.png.d058097fba409e6a997cc20411eb6787.png

Anyway I have a hand press for rivets and snaps, and about 50 different dies.  And yeah that helps, the problem is that a lot of the time the snap is in such a location that it's impossible to fit the work under the press, and then you're at the mercy of those little anvils and hand held tools, and sometimes they work, sometimes you have to use a drill to remove a badly set snap...

17 minutes ago, Spyros said:

What the?  LOL

Anyway I have a hand press for rivets and snaps, and about 50 different dies.  And yeah that helps, the problem is that a lot of the time the snap is in such a location that it's impossible to fit the work under the press, and then you're at the mercy of those little anvils and hand held tools, and sometimes they work, sometimes you have to use a drill to remove a badly set snap...

The link came up for me right away.  I wonder if it is something with your security?  Funny that the reviews of the tool are horrible.  It has 1 star rating and lot's of people whining about it.

23 minutes ago, Spyros said:

What the?  LOL

That is what i get too it does say it is something to do with my security setting but i am not going to mess around with them.

This is the tool . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

hobby lobby.jpg

Thanks, that what i thought they would look like. 

13 minutes ago, Dwight said:

This is the tool . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

hobby lobby.jpg

i read the reviews, they made me laugh a bit. they aren't really that hard to figure out how to use are they? I mean without instructions lol.

God bless you as well friend! 

23 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

i read the reviews, they made me laugh a bit. they aren't really that hard to figure out how to use are they? I mean without instructions lol.

God bless you as well friend! 

Happening a lot these day over thinking things looking for things that are not there.

17 minutes ago, jcuk said:

Happening a lot these day over thinking things looking for things that are not there.

LOL brings to mind an old west saying. They couldn't pour piss out of a boot if the instructions were written on the heel.

Pliers are for wasting hobbyists' $$.

Buy a press and set snaps like a pro. The kind LatigoAmigo shows here

Or the one I am showing here:

I allways use the right anvil and setter sized for the snaps or rivets thats being used with no problems. Most everything has allready been said. And i 100% agree that 99% of the time a snap or rivet sets crooked is because the stem is to long sticking threw the leather. I dont buy tons of different length stems though. I buy the longest of each size then cut them down with dremel or bench grinder if needed so they stick threw only about 1/8" on the leather im working with. And like has also been said gently roll the setter while you gently tap to slowly roll the stem down then a good tap to finish. This is just my 2 cents.

On 12/12/2021 at 1:59 PM, chuck123wapati said:

26 minutes ago, HandyDave said:

I allways use the right anvil and setter sized for the snaps or rivets thats being used with no problems. Most everything has allready been said. And i 100% agree that 99% of the time a snap or rivet sets crooked is because the stem is to long sticking threw the leather. I dont buy tons of different length stems though. I buy the longest of each size then cut them down with dremel or bench grinder if needed so they stick threw only about 1/8" on the leather im working with. And like has also been said gently roll the setter while you gently tap to slowly roll the stem down then a good tap to finish. This is just my 2 cents.

I agree that the length of the post is most likely the problem. Another trick that might work, depending on the project is to place a leather disk under the snap to make the leather thicker for the post. But the best solution is as HandyDave said: grind them to the correct length.