MtlBiker

First Leather Hand-Stitching Needles?

Since there doesn't seem to be a local source for any leather tools, I have to order online.  I'm looking for my first needles for hand-stitching leather.  Would these be a good choice from Tandy Leather?

My Al Strolhman books are arriving today, as is a stitching pony.  I've got a lot of reading and practicing to do before tackling my project.  I've got a wallet under construction where the top stitching (by machine) has to be redone in a small 2" section.  My plan is to use the same thread, v92 poly, and hand stitch that area using the same needle holes the machine made.  So it's not with normal leather hand stitching thread (whatever that is, I don't have any).

Thanks for your advice.

15 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

Since there doesn't seem to be a local source for any leather tools, I have to order online.  I'm looking for my first needles for hand-stitching leather.  Would these be a good choice from Tandy Leather?

My Al Strolhman books are arriving today, as is a stitching pony.  I've got a lot of reading and practicing to do before tackling my project.  I've got a wallet under construction where the top stitching (by machine) has to be redone in a small 2" section.  My plan is to use the same thread, v92 poly, and hand stitch that area using the same needle holes the machine made.  So it's not with normal leather hand stitching thread (whatever that is, I don't have any).

Thanks for your advice.

No, those are not correct.  The eye is too wide and too long.  These are more like the John James needles, which are the standard. 

https://tandyleather.ca/products/harness-needles-10-pack?pr_prod_strat=description&pr_rec_pid=4527288942723&pr_ref_pid=452729

Try to find the John James online.  Also, they come in different sizes.  Small holes and thinner thread demand smaller needles.

22 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

No, those are not correct.  The eye is too wide and too long.  These are more like the John James needles, which are the standard. 

https://tandyleather.ca/products/harness-needles-10-pack?pr_prod_strat=description&pr_rec_pid=4527288942723&pr_ref_pid=452729

Try to find the John James online.  Also, they come in different sizes.  Small holes and thinner thread demand smaller needles.

Thanks for helping to keep me from making a mistake!  I just looked at the RMLeather needles and the thread sizes mean nothing to me (inexperienced).  Is there one of those sizes that you'd suggest for v92 poly thread (which I have to use to match the thread on the wallet)?

RM's prices seem good, but geez, the cheapest shipping to Canada is US$30!!!!!  For $10 of needles!  (Actually I was ready to buy a pack of each of the sizes, but the shipping cost held me back.  To the final cost I need to add Canadian dollar exchange rate plus most probably a little duty and brokerage. 

I guess I'll try to find another Canadian source... if I can figure out what it is I need to buy.

@Tugadude - The most convenient source for me is Tandy Leather (here in Canada) and I am about to place an order for each of the three sizes of those harness needles that they offer (0, 000 and 4).  I'm also going to order a stitching awl (my awl is a wood working awl and I think it's much thicker than a leather stitching awl).

And I should probably buy some thread for hand stitching (practice and other projects).  Tandy lists a bunch of different threads... what should I try?  Ritza Tiger, Tejas Waxed, Waxed Nylon, Waxed Linen, or.... ???  The choices are mind-boggling to a novice.

4 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

@Tugadude - The most convenient source for me is Tandy Leather (here in Canada) and I am about to place an order for each of the three sizes of those harness needles that they offer (0, 000 and 4).  I'm also going to order a stitching awl (my awl is a wood working awl and I think it's much thicker than a leather stitching awl).

And I should probably buy some thread for hand stitching (practice and other projects).  Tandy lists a bunch of different threads... what should I try?  Ritza Tiger, Tejas Waxed, Waxed Nylon, Waxed Linen, or.... ???  The choices are mind-boggling to a novice.

Regarding shipping, personally I never trust what websites say.  I call or email the company.  You will sometimes find out the actual charges are going to be less than the advertised rates.  

Yes, you should find a Canadian source.  And reach out to them to ask their advice on product selection and what needles to buy.  If they are experienced they will steer you in a good direction.  And then you have the beginning of a relationship to boot.  

2 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

Most of my sewing, both machine and hand, is done with 0.6mm Ritza Tiger thread.  For hand stitching I use the smallest John James harness needles.

Keeping your awl sharp and correctly shaped is a big factor in generating quality stitching. The Stohlman books show how.  I use Osborne awls and harness needles, and like most of their tools the awls take a bit of work to get ready for use.  I do a lot of hand sewing with #207 or #277 bonded nylon thread in combination with machine sewing.  You can wax any thread and use it for hand sewing.

1 hour ago, sbrownn said:

Most of my sewing, both machine and hand, is done with 0.6mm Ritza Tiger thread.  For hand stitching I use the smallest John James harness needles.

Thanks very much!  I am surprised though that you say you use the same thread in your sewing machine.  I would have expected the "slightly waxed" Ritza thread to mess up the sewing machine.  Do you know the actual size of the needles you use?  From my searching not everyone carries a full range of sizes and if there is a specific size to look for (for that .6 Ritza thread) then I'd like to be sure to get the right one.

My local fabric store sells Singer Pro series five pack of beeswax cakes to rub on unwaxed thread. Keep it in the refrigerator so summer heat does not melt it. Just wax what I need. 

32 minutes ago, TomE said:

Keeping your awl sharp and correctly shaped is a big factor in generating quality stitching. The Stohlman books show how.  I use Osborne awls and harness needles, and like most of their tools the awls take a bit of work to get ready for use.  I do a lot of hand sewing with #207 or #277 bonded nylon thread in combination with machine sewing.  You can wax any thread and use it for hand sewing.

Oh no!!  More sharpening issues!  :)  That's a skill I need to do a lot of work on! 

I got the Stohlman books today so I've got my reading homework to do.  Thanks for the help.

2 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

Thanks very much!  I am surprised though that you say you use the same thread in your sewing machine.  I would have expected the "slightly waxed" Ritza thread to mess up the sewing machine.  Do you know the actual size of the needles you use?  From my searching not everyone carries a full range of sizes and if there is a specific size to look for (for that .6 Ritza thread) then I'd like to be sure to get the right one.

I have a Campbell Randall which is made to use waxed thread.

I'm using 004 size needles.

FWIW, the first needles I had were from Tandy's Deluxe Stitching Set. I don't recommend buying the set, though—about half of the contents I never used, but the needles and the groover were very handy—I still use them, even though I eventually got a pack of JJ needles which, very disappointingly, were found to be made in China.

The awl I ended up using for applying edge paint. I don't stitch with an awl: I use chisels to pre-make the holes—way easier that way. You can get decent chisels from Tandy, before you upgrade to KS Blade ones.

17 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Here:

https://www.rmleathersupply.com/products/john-james-saddlers-harness-needles-sz-4-2-0-00-000-25-pack?variant=711082135

They even do us a huge favor and match us the needle with the thread type and size.

What he said... :17:
Except that you live in Canada, which means rmleathersupply can't ship them free to you. ;-( 

Edited by DJole

If you want to follow Stohlmann exactly, you need to buy unwaxed linen thread (so you can thin the end for threading the needle) - and a piece of wax. 

I have John James needles in all sizes as they are cheap where I live (and I make a wide variety of things).

But when I started, I just filed off the points of two same-sized sewing needles I already had. (Embroidery needles come without a point but have the big eye as in your Tandy link.) Worked just as well... It might be the best thing to do for repairing the wallet because I suspect that the stitch holes are fairly small?  In any case, using a  smaller needle than you have in the machine won't do any harm, but you don't want to use a bigger one and widen the holes!

Here is an overview of needles and threads and what to use them for https://www.decocuir.com/couture-cuir-fil-aiguille-choisir-guide-c1200x67488 - I only see it in French but someone once said there is an English version. 

21 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

Thanks for helping to keep me from making a mistake!  I just looked at the RMLeather needles and the thread sizes mean nothing to me (inexperienced).  Is there one of those sizes that you'd suggest for v92 poly thread (which I have to use to match the thread on the wallet)?

RM's prices seem good, but geez, the cheapest shipping to Canada is US$30!!!!!  For $10 of needles!  (Actually I was ready to buy a pack of each of the sizes, but the shipping cost held me back.  To the final cost I need to add Canadian dollar exchange rate plus most probably a little duty and brokerage. 

I guess I'll try to find another Canadian source... if I can figure out what it is I need to buy.

30$ holy cow cant someone throw some in an envelope and mail them up to you? If i had some extra i would in a minute. 

4 hours ago, Klara said:

Here is an overview of needles and threads and what to use them for https://www.decocuir.com/couture-cuir-fil-aiguille-choisir-guide-c1200x67488 - I only see it in French but someone once said there is an English version. 

Hi,

At the top right you can select your preferred language. 

3 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

30$ holy cow cant someone throw some in an envelope and mail them up to you? If i had some extra i would in a minute. 

My thoughts exactly, only i am on the other side of the pond and have to say my needles are over 20 years old probably need to invest in some new ones for myself.

He a link they are Canada i have done business with good company to work with, don't know what brand they are but maybe give them a ring and find out they have Osborne tools of their site some i guessing they might be Osbornes never used them myself but think they should be ok. I use unwaxed linen thread wax it my self only time i use Tiger thread is when i am attaching girth billets to the saddle webbing and thats only because i think the webbing is more abrasive than the linen thread i have used linen thread for this in the past only 18/6 thread doubled. 

https://aaronmartin.com/product.php?cat_id=993&submit=View&catview=20&s=Harness Maker Tools & More&catview2=&catview3=&s2=&s3=

Hope this helps

JCUK

On 2/2/2022 at 9:38 AM, MtlBiker said:

Thanks for your advice.

I bought some hand sewing needles from Maker's Leather Supply. They're fairly thin but durable. They're all I use for hand sewing. And - I didn't go through every response to this thread so if someone already mentioned them...apologies. 

43 minutes ago, RichBliven said:

I bought some hand sewing needles from Maker's Leather Supply. They're fairly thin but durable. They're all I use for hand sewing. And - I didn't go through every response to this thread so if someone already mentioned them...apologies. 

Thanks, but I'm in Canada and shipping costs for something so small and inexpensive as needles it astronomically high.  I'm trying to find a Canadian source.

1 hour ago, MtlBiker said:

Thanks, but I'm in Canada and shipping costs for something so small and inexpensive as needles it astronomically high.  I'm trying to find a Canadian source.

Did you order these?  They have a range of sizes.

https://tandyleather.ca/products/harness-needles-10-pack?_pos=4&_sid=94dadc173&_ss=r

49 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Thanks.  I was going to order a pack of each of the three sizes they offer (because I didn't know which size would be best) and then something went wrong with their website... They were going to charge $40 for shipping!!!  And I'd placed two other online orders with them this week, one for the leather gauge I wanted, and another for the Stohlman books.  The gauge wa $8 shipping, and the books shipping was $16.  $40 for three packs of  those needles was crazy!  I tried to call them and finally when I got to speak to someone I was put on hold until disconnected.  I'll probably place the order but I'm not going to pay $40 to ship those needles.  Something is wrong there.  And as soon as I have time to wait on hold again I will try again.

Yes, something very wrong there.  Hope it gets worked out.

What size needles do you want? I probably have enough to send you some to get you started. FOC