Tequila

Does this work??

I was reading in the Show Off section a thread about making a 4 finger cigar case.  In the thread there’s a video and it shows a cigar case being made where the case is assembled, sewn and then formed.  From the video it looks like he puts the completed case on a form and then just run a wooden creaser along the edge of the form.  Is it really that easy?  I thought the case would have to have been wet molded, it looked like he was using veg-tanned under the alligator skin.  Has anyone done molding this way and does it work?  Any pros or cons?

Either this was a really stupid question or no one knows the answer.  I would’ve thought someone would answer. 

A. you should wait longer for a response. Not everyone is on here 24/7

b. A link to what you are talking about would be helpful, then we examine it and tear it apart

On 3/12/2022 at 2:18 PM, Tequila said:

I was reading in the Show Off section a thread about making a 4 finger cigar case.  In the thread there’s a video and it shows a cigar case being made where the case is assembled, sewn and then formed.  From the video it looks like he puts the completed case on a form and then just run a wooden creaser along the edge of the form.  Is it really that easy?  I thought the case would have to have been wet molded, it looked like he was using veg-tanned under the alligator skin.  Has anyone done molding this way and does it work?  Any pros or cons?

Without seeing the video I would just say that most things are possible with leather if you want it bad enough. I would probably make a wooden form out of four half round dowels with a small space between. Find a way to clamp the wet veg tan leather till it's dry, either do two moulds or do the process twice then marry the two halves, stitch between and around, trim off the excess and finish.

@toxo, @fredk  here you go

I wonder if he's just relying on the stretch of the veg tan to hold the shape, or is there a step we do not get to see [the trade secret] where the veg tan is slightly dampened before the wood block is forced in?

I've not done anything I can think of which I forced into shape dry

I wonder if RockyAussie has any thoughts on this?

Edited by fredk

Yeah I'm guessing they probably just didn't show the step where you just spray some moisture inside before putting it on the wood block and leaving it overnight.  That's all it would take.

Studying the video; the guy's watch, is at about 4.25.15 at video time 7.54 when he forces the wood block into the main pouch, the watch is still at 4.25.?? at video time of 8.09 when he is boning the shape, he started the shaping at video time 8.05. None of the the items on the bench, other than the mallet, has moved during this sequence. 

Therefore that sequence may have been filmed in real time or a full 12 or 24 hours later

But there is an edit cut at video time 8.04 thru 8.05 to 8.06

At 8.14 we see the worker polishing up the case, but the wood former is still enclosed. A cut-away to the badge, 8.24, then we see the case being put in the display cabinet, 8.27. An out-of time edit;  In between, was the leather drying out?

Edited by fredk

I have done jobs just like this I would say It would need to be wet, one note taking  the wood mold out can be a bit difficult .

I made a cell phone case holster and used a 1x4 (close enough fit) to stretch the shape out but I first filled the pocket with water and let it soak for a few minutes (amazing to see it hold water without leaking!), poured it out and used the 1x4 and let it sit over night.  Worked great (although my measurements were still a bit off and was still a bit too tight for my phone unless I completely took off my rubber protective case which I wasn't willing to do.  Looked too funky chunky anyways so it's still sitting on my bench.   :ranting2:  I'm using it as inspiration to help me think of a better idea for the next go around. 

I did find this on the google that is maybe what you're wanting to do?

Edited by JayEhl
add youtube

On 3/14/2022 at 12:38 AM, fredk said:

Studying the video; the guy's watch, is at about 4.25.15 at video time 7.54 when he forces the wood block into the main pouch, the watch is still at 4.25.?? at video time of 8.09 when he is boning the shape, he started the shaping at video time 8.05. None of the the items on the bench, other than the mallet, has moved during this sequence. 

Therefore that sequence may have been filmed in real time or a full 12 or 24 hours later

But there is an edit cut at video time 8.04 thru 8.05 to 8.06

At 8.14 we see the worker polishing up the case, but the wood former is still enclosed. A cut-away to the badge, 8.24, then we see the case being put in the display cabinet, 8.27. An out-of time edit;  In between, was the leather drying out?

there is also a woman doing some of the steps, i see a few different hands in there. I would think he moistened the inner veg tan sometime before putting in the molds and between that and running the bone folder around the stitch lines set the shape.

Edited by chuck123wapati

Once I’m done with my current project I’m going to wet mold a cigar case.  I like the exotic skin they used in the video but I think I’ll just start out with a plain veg tan and see how it goes.  

All of the finished products they show are full of cigars or paraphernalia, I wonder if the cases are just stretched to fit the molds and when empty can be flattened out again.

This makes more sense to me because that veg tan looked to be 2 / 3oz. and if hardened would have a tendency to be crushed if kept in a pocket empty, however I don't smoke cigars and have never had a cigar case, so these are just guesses

The case's are wet molded and should hold there shape even when empty:yes:

46 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

I'm with Bert on this one . . . the dry cases would have flattened back out once the wood mold was pulled out.

From knife sheaths . . . mag holders . . . and holsters . . . I can tell you that if properly moistened . . . only 10 to 20 minutes is needed in the mold . . . and the creasing could easily have been done at the end of the 10 minutes . . . wood form pulled . . . and it would have been good to go.

Guy would only need about 3 or 4 at the most of those inserts to stay busy for 8 hours straight . . . just dampening . . . molding . . . and edging.

But I have to admit . . . sure looks like an awful lot of work when a shirt pocket will do the same . . . and it comes free with the shirt.  Those cigar holders ain't cheap in anyone's book . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

23 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

Perhaps you are right, I guess the real mystery is after showing every other process why they would omit that one? 

@Dwight I don’t understand when you say “properly moistened”, how wet is that?  The couple of times that I wet molded it took overnight to dry, so I’m guessing that I must have  over-wetted the leather.  Thanks for any advice. 

Just about everything I've made thats needed shaping, knife cases ( leatherman types etc.) I've always wet molded . I guess another way is  , although I haven't tried it myself...yet,  is to wet mold two identical shapes, so you have two halves,  leaving a ' lip'  or an edge to stitch, so  when dry ,  cut,  shape, dye etc. and bring the two halves together, like making a home made Easter egg and joining them together, but you're sewing them  instead of using chocolate. Just a thought.  

Never sewn chocolate before .  Thats just silly .

HS

28 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

. . . I guess another way is  , although I haven't tried it myself...yet,  is to wet mold two identical shapes, so you have two halves,  leaving a ' lip'  or an edge to stitch, so  when dry ,  cut,  shape, dye etc. and bring the two halves together, like making a home made Easter egg and joining them together, but you're sewing them  instead of using chocolate. Just a thought.  . . . 

I've done that on a few items

The only one I have a photo of happens to be an egg.

This is the prototype and I'm still working on perfecting it. The initial idea* came from No.3 son many years ago after he saw a certain box thing in one of Olaf Goubitz' books

Two near identical halves were wet moulded, then they were glued together around a large plaster egg. They were sewn together, allowing a gap for where it was cut open

Egg Caddy, prototype, 02LW.JPG  

Egg Caddy, prototype, 05LW.JPG

Egg Caddy, prototype, 06LW.JPG

Shrinkage of the leather is the main problem. I'm thinking of a papier-mâché core with the leather on that, still wet moulded of course

* kinda long story to that

Edited by fredk

1 hour ago, fredk said:

I've done that on a few items

I don't wish to hijack this thread too much, but thats just bloody clever.

Do you mind if I try that?

I just searched that name. Theres a lot of ideas &  inspirational stuff  .

HS

4 hours ago, Tequila said:

@Dwight I don’t understand when you say “properly moistened”, how wet is that?  The couple of times that I wet molded it took overnight to dry, so I’m guessing that I must have  over-wetted the leather.  Thanks for any advice. 

Knife sheath . . . holster . . .  cell phone case . . . all get a wet molded experience with me . . . sometimes more than one . . . but usually one is enough.

I literally dunk it in a jar or pan of room temperature water . . . leave it for about 10 seconds . . . pull it out . . . use paper towels to suck up any excess.

Then I mold . . . and quite honestly . . . I use a vacuum pump and a bag to do most of the molding.  A cigar case would not need that . . . only the form.

And yes . . . it is an overnight to 24 hour process . . . you really . . . really need to let it dry before going on.

You can help it along with heat . . . just make sure you stay below 145 deg F . . . and you can "force dry" the project.  Be advised though . . . that will turn it the next thing to rock hard.

May God bless,

Dwight

I don't think you can really over wet. I like my leather soaked but not mushy so like Dwight says 10 second is good I like 15 to get it really soaked thru molds easy. yes takes a while to dry but not to bad here in the desert sun temps in the 100's

@Dwight  thanks!