RobertoDR69

What is Mycelium Leather? Does it exist?

13 minutes ago, SUP said:

That the earth is warming up is true. We can see the results. Surely no one can think that all the climatic changes, the increasing number of natural disasters  happening the world over are planted in the media, as a massive conspiracy.! And it is happening because of human actions. 

There are records and geological evidence other than ice cores that indicate changing climate patterns, going back further than 800,000 years. There are ways to determine time scales.  But that does not mean that global warming is not causing serious harm. After all, all through these millions of years there were no humans to destroy everything in their path - that is what we do, sadly. So we really cannot apply what has happened over the millennia to what is happening now, other than to compare, like the scientists are doing now, and realize that this is unprecedented.

And not everything is a conspiracy @chuck123wapati. No one makes up so much stuff just to get a salary - other than the section of the media that make everything into a conspiracy.

It's all very well to bury one's head in the sand, when one is living in areas which will be the last to be excessively affected by climate changes, like we do. For people in places like the Maldives, for example, who face loss of their entire country, it is reality. Bangladesh faces  loss of lands as does India and many other parts of the world. The US coastline too, for that matter, is threatened.

@kgg You are right. Scientists see changes happening and literally bumble around, trying to find the cause. They are often mistaken and then work their way to determining the actual causes - it could take years or decades, but they are at least trying.  It happens all the time. 

Hardly. People have been speaking about their own preferences and what they themselves would use - personal choice - not what others should use.

really!

https://www.climatesciencenews.com/2023-08-21-scientists-professionals-there-is-no-climate-crisis.html

16 minutes ago, SUP said:

That the earth is warming up is true. We can see the results. Surely no one can think that all the climatic changes, the increasing number of natural disasters  happening the world over are planted in the media, as a massive conspiracy.! And it is happening because of human actions. 

There are records and geological evidence other than ice cores that indicate changing climate patterns, going back further than 800,000 years. There are ways to determine time scales.  But that does not mean that global warming is not causing serious harm. After all, all through these millions of years there were no humans to destroy everything in their path - that is what we do, sadly. So we really cannot apply what has happened over the millennia to what is happening now, other than to compare, like the scientists are doing now, and realize that this is unprecedented.

And not everything is a conspiracy @chuck123wapati. No one makes up so much stuff just to get a salary - other than the section of the media that make everything into a conspiracy.

It's all very well to bury one's head in the sand, when one is living in areas which will be the last to be excessively affected by climate changes, like we do. For people in places like the Maldives, for example, who face loss of their entire country, it is reality. Bangladesh faces  loss of lands as does India and many other parts of the world. The US coastline too, for that matter, is threatened.

@kgg You are right. Scientists see changes happening and literally bumble around, trying to find the cause. They are often mistaken and then work their way to determining the actual causes - it could take years or decades, but they are at least trying.  It happens all the time. 

Hardly. People have been speaking about their own preferences and what they themselves would use - personal choice - not what others should use.

https://nypost.com/2023/09/25/even-bill-gates-is-backtracking-the-airs-gone-out-of-the-climate-crisis-balloon/

"The reality, as Gates is reminding us, is there’s not actually a climate “crisis” calling for drastic action tomorrow, and running businesses and institutions as if there is one is counterproductive and even outright destructive. "

On this global warming;  I read an article by some archaeologists about a glacier that had melted back by some X.km.  It had retreated so far that it had uncovered almost a whole Norse village, and that in few years the whole village would be uncovered. It seems to me that at one time the weather was such that the village was accessible and that 800 years of global  cooling  had allowed the glacier to form, chasing the inhabitants away from their homes

I read several reports like this;  decrying the erosion of glaciers but at the same time saying what they had uncovered 

A few years ago we had a summer of very heavy and prolonged rain. The experts said that is how it will be from now on, due to climate change

Then the next year we had a very hot and dry summer. The experts said, that is how it will be . . . . . Make up your mind!

Edited by fredk

On 11/15/2023 at 10:00 AM, chuck123wapati said:

spoiler....  real soap is still made that way;)

Some years ago, I stopped by a sandwich shop on my way home from work for a cheesesteak hoagie.  Before they started my steak, the cook carefully emptied the grease tray at the front of the grill into a bucket and put a lid on.  I asked what happens to all that grease, and he told me that somebody comes by every week or two and buys it for a soap maker!  So who knows, you might be bathing with cheesesteak!

- Bill

37 minutes ago, fredk said:

On this global warming;

The way I look at it is the climate has been constantly changing in a constant state of flux through the various warming and cooling cycles since it was somehow created. To make any substantial changes we would have to reset the global population lifestyle to that of the cavemen. Can't see that happening anytime soon. I still wonder who is getting rich off the fear mongering climate change kick. The climate of some sort will be around as long as I'm going to be kicking but it might be nice to be able to plant a pineapple tree in the backyard up here in Canada.

kgg

1 hour ago, billybopp said:

Some years ago, I stopped by a sandwich shop on my way home from work for a cheesesteak hoagie.  Before they started my steak, the cook carefully emptied the grease tray at the front of the grill into a bucket and put a lid on.  I asked what happens to all that grease, and he told me that somebody comes by every week or two and buys it for a soap maker!  So who knows, you might be bathing with cheesesteak!

- Bill

lol yes we had the same at the prison i worked at we would collect 50 gallon barrels of the stuff.

I think that the main issue is the speed at which climate change is happening. Through the millions of years there have been very hot and very cold periods but they came on  much slower, so everything adapted gradually, This time, it is very swift on the geological scale because we have contributed to it. If we look at the larger picture, we are a part of nature as well, like the dinosaurs were. But we do not like what is happening and it can cause us trouble. That is why all the concern.

Climate has always changed, up and down. We are just looking at it from a graph with an exaggerated scale. If you leveled it out not so much variation. Don’t think anybody really knows what the temps were 10 million years back. As for 97 % of scientists believing in global warming, I would like to see a list of them. Easy for talking heads on TV to quote unproven stats.  As a retired university employee most all the scientists I knew said it was balderdash. If global warming is real why do I keep having to cut so much firewood each winter? 

@327fed Hmm, scientist myself. I doubt that it is balderdash. Far too much evidence for it to be so. Global warming does not mean that it suddenly becomes very hot. It is a far more complex issue. Looking at isolated bits will not give the whole picture. As I said earlier, rather than the fact that changes are happening, it is the speed at which it is happening that is of concern. But then, people have always been resistant to change and new ideas. This thread, after all, started with mycelium leather and here we are, discussing climate change - in both subjects, many not really wanting to accept new ideas. Mycelium leather might become very popular or perish as some fad and it will not affect us much. Global warming denial however,  can have far reaching consequences. 

5 hours ago, SUP said:

@327fed Hmm, scientist myself. I doubt that it is balderdash. Far too much evidence for it to be so. Global warming does not mean that it suddenly becomes very hot. It is a far more complex issue. Looking at isolated bits will not give the whole picture. As I said earlier, rather than the fact that changes are happening, it is the speed at which it is happening that is of concern. But then, people have always been resistant to change and new ideas. This thread, after all, started with mycelium leather and here we are, discussing climate change - in both subjects, many not really wanting to accept new ideas. Mycelium leather might become very popular or perish as some fad and it will not affect us much. Global warming denial however,  can have far reaching consequences. 

Well, there is one guy, a really famous guy that for years pushed climate change as a existential threat to humanity. But then oddly enough that very famous guy spent 8 mil. on a house on a island not to high above sea level. Doesn't seem like a very wise purchase if the place is going to be underwater soon. Or in fact, maybe he didn't really believe what he was saying.

16 hours ago, kgg said:

... To make any substantial changes we would have to reset the global population lifestyle to that of the cavemen. Can't see that happening anytime soon. ...

The alternative would be to get numbers back to cavemen. For overpopulation is the biggest problem. Which, funnily enough, has been known for 40 years at least (that's when I saw the documentary on German TV), but nobody's been doing anything about. 

As for climate change and scientists, I strongly recommend the afterword to Michael Crichton's State of Fear. The book is one of his worse ones (though it does explain why governments have a vested interest in making people afraid), but the afterword should be required reading for everybody. 

My great grand-mother used to say that each time there is an excess  load on earth, nature auto-corrects  with natural disasters and pandemics until balance is restored. Seems to be the path we are on now, whatever the rhetoric. Maybe we should all remember the wisdom of our ancestors.

Nature always auto-corrects - and we are just another animal, never mind our arrogance in thinking we are special. We are not and are as dispensable as the dinosaurs.

Edited by SUP

3 hours ago, Klara said:

The alternative would be to get numbers back to cavemen. For overpopulation is the biggest problem. Which, funnily enough, has been known for 40 years at least (that's when I saw the documentary on German TV), but nobody's been doing anything about. 

As for climate change and scientists, I strongly recommend the afterword to Michael Crichton's State of Fear. The book is one of his worse ones (though it does explain why governments have a vested interest in making people afraid), but the afterword should be required reading for everybody. 

They are doing something about it, where have you been the last few years? the original document was called agenda 21. the same people that wrote it and signed it into law at the united nations also taught you it is a hoax but sadly it is real you should read it some day. 

Back to the original topic of this thread - mycelium leather. The more I read about it, the more interesting it sounds, as long as they completely kill the cultures. It is even supposed to smell like leather -  a big plus for me because I hate the plasticky smell of PU and some 'high-end' beautiful, plasticky leathers.   I am perfectly willing to discard a bag - bio-degradable after all - rather than have it come alive and heal itself. Something icky about the idea of a fungus being made to come alive in this way. But that's just me.

So here is a question about vegan leather. After they skin the vegans, is it chrome tanned or veg tanned?

36 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

So here is a question about vegan leather. After they skin the vegans, is it chrome tanned or veg tanned?

Cute question.

kgg

10 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

You just 'broke the internet', as the expression goes  , I like to think so anyway :rofl:

And besides, cows are vegan, they eat grass, hay, grain  etc. , I don't ever recall a herd of cattle  sitting down to a  Lamb or  Pork roast with a nice chardonnay , picture that ;)  Although, they do 'drink' ( eat ?) beer, silage and grain  from breweries. 

HS

20 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

They are doing something about it, where have you been the last few years? the original document was called agenda 21. the same people that wrote it and signed it into law at the united nations also taught you it is a hoax but sadly it is real you should read it some day. 

Given that Agenda 21 was written in 1992 and population has increased from 5.5 billion to 8 billion, whatever is written there was not very useful. Also, in Germany and France people are still encouraged and helped to breed and as far as I know, the Catholic Church still is against contraception.

1 hour ago, Klara said:

Also, in Germany and France people are still encouraged and helped to breed and as far as I know, the Catholic Church still is against contraception.

So I guess the last person you'd want to have along with a date, is the Pope, lol  ;) 

HS 

@Klara  And  people in the third world countries go on breeding like rabbits - I can say that, as I come from one, before anyone says it is politically inappropriate. I used to be astonished at families with 13 and 15 children - one mother! Those poor women! They don't bother reading any such material, too busy either breeding or trying to feed the mouths thus created!

18 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

Chrome tanned - veg tanning may use fish oils.... horrors!

@Handstitched yep always vegans being eaten - that veg diet makes them more juicy and succulent, I guess. Do you think all human vegans will be too, in case cannibalism comes in after an 'apocalypse'?  I mean, we are all animals aren't we? Or is that thinking politically incorrect as well?

Early morning me is a bit more blunt. sorry.

people in the third world countries go on breeding like rabbits 

Just wanted to see if I could say it .   Just 4626 years and we will find out if Libby was right :rofl:

On 11/8/2023 at 4:59 PM, Dwight said:

It's a greaseball funky product made by vegans who think all animals should be taken off the planet.

May God bless,

Dwight

Being who you are; are you not supposed to embrace what God provides to us like natural Mycelium? You sound a bit confused #Dwight 

39 minutes ago, RobertoDR69 said:

Being who you are; are you not supposed to embrace what God provides to us like natural Mycelium? You sound a bit confused #Dwight 

I think you may have missed the point.

On 11/13/2023 at 2:51 PM, chuck123wapati said:

youngsters aren't changing my friend just the bs that is being taught to them. 

Hi #Chuck123wapati

Yep, I get your comment above, but if you had the opportunity to work with a piece of mycelium leather, would you? Wouldn't you like to compare both animal leather and mycelium leather and test their strengths and weaknesses?

Hopefully the beginning of 2024, I will have the opportunity to try to develop mycelium leather. That is why I started this Topic to get some sort of reaction from this great community. 

I also hope to resolve some of our climates problems by reducing farmers bio-gas waist and turning it into substrate. I hope this will reduce or stop them from burning it as well as cleaning up our environment. 

Don't worry, i'm no echo worrier, but I do want to experiment with this alternative method to produce this material.

Full respect for you Chuck, your a really interesting person and have looked through your recent posts. :-)

On 11/9/2023 at 1:24 PM, Gezzer said:

Simple ........ one IS " leather " the other is not .

Ah; #Gezzer

Does a banana, apple, orange, trees, flowers and just about everything on the planet have a 'skin'/leather; as you call it? including fish. So can't you make leather out of fish skin? 

So when you say the above statement; any 'skin' are both leather regardless of what 'skin' they are made of.