DG1

Noisy Juki LU 562

Hello, I recently aquired a Juki LU 562. It is sewing great but at higher speeds makes an irritating  higher pitch vibrating/chattering noise as if something is loose. It's hard to tell but it appears like the noise is coming from the head area, maybe where the walking foot mechanism is at the back. I've gone over the machine and can not find anything loose. It's hard to describe the sound so I've attached a link to a video.

I don't think this noise is normal. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to check? Thanks!

It also makes the same noise when not sewing anything with the presser foot up.

https://www.facebook.com/61560928232099/videos/513472158205034

Edited by DG1
duplicates

48 minutes ago, purplefox66 said:

Your link is not working 

Hmm, could you try it again? I'm not super familiar with facebook, the link works for me but maybe only I was able to see it. I pressed the "share button" so maybe it will work now. I tried to post the vido here but even though it is only like 16 seconds long the file size was too long.

5 minutes ago, DG1 said:

Hmm, could you try it again? I'm not super familiar with facebook, the link works for me but maybe only I was able to see it. I pressed the "share button" so maybe it will work now. I tried to post the vido here but even though it is only like 16 seconds long the file size was too long.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/dvprqQ1uXHrFpsZZ/

Maybe this link will work

1 hour ago, DG1 said:

This link isn't working and here is the message I get when I click on the link:

" This content isn't available right now

When this happens, it's usually because the owner only shared it with a small group of people, changed who can see it or it's been deleted."

Maybe try putting the link on youtube.

kgg

Edited by kgg

24 minutes ago, kgg said:

This link isn't working and here is the message I get when I click on the link:

" This content isn't available right now

When this happens, it's usually because the owner only shared it with a small group of people, changed who can see it or it's been deleted."

Maybe try putting the link on youtube.

kgg

Hopefully this works

2 hours ago, DG1 said:

I don't think this noise is normal. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to check? Thanks!

My suggestion would be to remove the thread from the needle and lock the presser foot up. Then give it run to see if the noise disappears. Also have you oiled the head recently???

kgg

11 minutes ago, kgg said:

My suggestion would be to remove the thread from the needle and lock the presser foot up. Then give it run to see if the noise disappears. Also have you oiled the head recently???

kgg

I have run the machine unthreaded with the presser foot up, it makes the exact same noise. After purchasing the machine, I cleaned it and thoroughly oiled directly every part reachable that moves against another part , plus all the oil holes. I've physically moved every linkage in the head and everything is tight with no play. Same with the walking foot linkages at the back of the machine. The only part that really has any play in it is the presser foot linkages at the back of the machine that go to the knee lifter, but I've held on to those while running the machine to dampen any possible vibration and it's not coming from there.

I've subsequently examined the bottom of the machine more thouroughly and everything is very tight except for one thing: I noticed the gear that is attached to the hook shaft has just a tiny bit of play or backlash. I can just barely detect some rotational movement of the hook (the actual hook not the bobbin case) but it's really a tiny amount, like you can't really see it but you can feel it. I'm not sure if there is supposed to be zero backlash at that gear. If so I don't see how to take out the backlast. the gear is tight to the hook.

Check for too much slack in the feet. It sounds like the feet are slapping at speed. Also, try reducing the amount of foot lift and see if it runs smoother.

1 minute ago, Wizcrafts said:

Check for too much slack in the feet. It sounds like the feet are slapping at speed. Also, try reducing the amount of foot lift and see if it runs smoother.

I did adjust the foot lift (using the wingnut at the back of machine). It does not seem to make any difference. But I don't think it's that since it makes the exact noise with needle unthreaded, foot in the up position.

A whine at high speed might indicate a bearing going bad.  I would oil the snot out it, let it set for 24 hours and then try it again.  There may be an area that was missed when oiling so check the manual.  Should be the same as a Singer 111W155.

glenn

Maybe its the hook driving gear. Maybe a lack of oil? I´d oil the machine generously. Check the manual for that.

I'm going to suggest looking at anything that rotates, any excessive clearance will make that type of sound on other mechanical things.  Have you looked for excessive backlash in the gears underneath - and I'm assuming the Juki's ahve gears.

We'll often use a stick as a stethoscope when trying to isolate strange sounds on a piece of running equipment. Maybe a dowel rod to your ear and touch different areas of the machine? 

Possibly you could at least track it down to left/right/top/bottom ...

14 minutes ago, AlZilla said:

We'll often use a stick as a stethoscope when trying to isolate strange sounds on a piece of running equipment. Maybe a dowel rod to your ear and touch different areas of the machine? 

Possibly you could at least track it down to left/right/top/bottom ...

Also a plastic handled long screw driver works good. Put the tip of the screwdriver on the suspect area & put you ear on the end of the plastic handle.