wildrose

music while you work?

Great post; glad to hear other people pick music to suit what their working on. I've been doing a lot of horse tack lately and have been listening to Dave Stamey(thanks Bruce!), Ian Tyson and Chris Ledoux. My wife hates it which makes it all the more enjoyable :devil: J/K. I listen to everything though. I like Drowning Pool, Pantera, Godsmack, AC/DC, Metallica, and the like when I'm at work though. If I get burnt out on Country I listen to a lot of Nickelback, Saliva, and modern type rock.

Ryan

Yes that time is rather foggy for me but I am rediscovering the music I used to survive the late 60's and 70's. Saw Taj live in hollywierd way back Paladium I think. I have to add Kristofferson and Rita Coolidge the Doors The Stones and of course The Johnny Otis Review and Ry Cooder, F. Zappa's weasles rip my flesh, The MUD SHARK Baby!. And the beat goes on LOL.

Wow! Did I get everyone talking...this is great! What I'm really finding amazing is that from almost every post I can pick a band/artist and say to myself "hey, I like that too!"

Loreena McKennitt, though, talk about a voice! Whew was I happy to hear someone mention her. I do like instrumental stuff too, and have some Native American and Andean cds that are really great.

I was pleased to see I wasn't the only one who knew about Tiziano Ferro. I'm going to have to check out some of the musicians I'm seeing...

You still have 8-tracks!?! Even a working machine that will still play them??? Okay, now I have no doubt you can help preserve the 18th century. LOL

Kate

love the music......this week i have been listening to the Rolling Stones."Bridges to Babylon tour'

and A Bigger Bang tour. tomorrow , it might be Southern Rock, I do have a large library.

Little Feat is my all time favorite band. I've seen them live 20+ times, but I never saw Lowell George before he died. I have hunted down every recording he ever made though, I think! I like Delbert McClinton and Bonnie Raitt. Carly Simon, Crosby Stills & Nash, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, and pretty much everything Jordan mentioned. I like blues, folk, rock, southern rock, bluegrass, acoustic, classical and some country, but in the car or cooking dinner I usually listen to NPR on the radio. My favorite Zappa album is "Apostrophe" and my favorite Pink Floyd one is "Wish You Were Here".

Johanna

You still have 8-tracks!?! Even a working machine that will still play them??? Okay, now I have no doubt you can help preserve the 18th century. LOL

Kate

yes Kate livin and Lovin in the Past........ all the 8 - track tapes in the photo work

and there are 3, 8- track players there also.

Now for all said i do Have D V D's & CD's thanks Luke

good topic!

and I am also amazed that the 8 track player still works.

what i listen to usually depends on my mood. some nights,after too many customers at work, I like to sit in silence and hear myself think and pound.other nights, I plug into the ipod and jam away. either that or the local radio station has john tesh the former host from entertainment tonight! as a host and he does a really good broadcast.

country, rock, R&B, metal, soft rock, jazz.....80's rock, they are all on my playlist.

On those infrequent times when I listen to music, I put on Celtic, medieval or SCA Philque. Usually I put on a movie that I have seen about 8,000 times. It becomes white noise until a good scene comes on which allows me to take a mini break from whatever I am doing.

I used to stick to my favorite artists from the 80's but in the last few years i find to my amazement that i really enjoy alot of the new music that my teenage son listens to. I love rap (weird!!!) and heavy metal. I like Eminem, but not all of his songs. 8 mile is one of my favorite movies.

Alot of the time the TV is on and i find myself tapping away to SpongeBob Square Pants!!

I like to listen to Don Edwards, Marty Robbins, Franky Lane and the MAN in black Mr J Cash, Don

I like the big bands of the late 30s and the 40s thru the 50s, most of the popular music of the 50s. I like most of the music of the 60 and 70s except acid rock (never did like it), also like western music from the 50s and more modern country western music. There are several radio stations in the Seattle area that play oldies and big band music, usually have one playing while I work.

John

I must be about the same age as Jordan! :You_Rock_Emoticon: Not only do I listen to the music he mentioned, I saw several of them live (many of them are gone now, like Jerry Garcia, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison and Janis, gawd I loved her and she just burnt up the stage at UC Irvine in '69!).

Gotta throw in the southern rockers....Allman Brothers (ever listen to the live version of Statsboro Blues???), Lynard Skynard, Molly Hatchet.

I also like a lot of electric blues, from the masters like Albert King, Muddy Waters and BB King to newer musicians like Walter Trout, Joe Bonamassa, Stevie Ray, Johnny Lang.....people that can really play.

Since where I work is so noisy, a lot of the time I just want quiet.

Normally Abba, then sometimes need the real Pick me up music so go for the channel that plays dance...then times I go for the easy stuff to calm me down. .....and coffee :) I use the internet for my music that way I don't have to worry about stop working and less talk.

I rarely listen to music while I'm making somthing, but I almost always have an audio-book going. My family has a subscription to Audible.com so we get a couple new books each month. Unfortunately, I usually end up finishing both of the new ones before we get more and I have to do some repeat.

I use my CD player instead of the ipod and whatever CD it happens to be, I replay it over and over and over and over again throughout the course of the entire project or batch of projects I'm working on. I've found that if I change the music mid-project, it somehow changes my focus on the project too and it doesn't turn out as well. Probably, it's my mood that changes. I also use the CD player as my cue to take a break. When the CD stops, I go upstairs and eat something, get more coffee, pet the dog, whatever.

What the CD is depends on my mood, but it's always goth, industrial, folk or punk. (Which is now self-labeled 'indie' or 'alternative' to avoid the negative goth stereotype). It's important for me to listen to things that are completely predictable so I'm not actively listening, but I can't function without my music in the background. Electronic music is somehow symmetrical, and for some reason, this is necessary for me. I despise jazz for the same reasons I love synth pop. The tricky part is, at my new studio space that's open to the public, I have to be more aware of what I listen to. Goth/Industrial seems to always contain one phrase that's clearly spoken and completely inappropriate, outside the genre. Since the goth/industrial scene is so small, I've met the majority of the musicians or have at least seen them perform live. It makes me feel all the more connected to their work, and more focused on mine.

Audra, Fear of Dolls, Misfits, Peter Murphy, Switchblade Symphony, VNV Nation, Cruxshadows, Belle Morte, The Brides, Front 242, Sisters of Mercy, Jason Webley, Faith & Disease, Death in June, The Strand, The Azoic, The Hellblinki Sextet, Two Ton Boa, Faith & the Muse, And One, Combichrist, Goteki, Wolfsheim, Clan of Xymox, Wumpscut, Dead Can Dance...

Sorry! I love my music : )

You may find it interesting to know that I'm also a huge fan of Willie Nelson, George Jones, Hank Williams Sr. and Chris LeDoux.

And Metallica : )

~Tammy

When you are taking out aggressions on a piece of cow hide nothing beats watching/listening to re runs of American Chopper with Jr and Sr. duking it out.

But if it has to be music.....all those guys that Jordan said.....yeah that's good stuff.

David Theobald

Well let's see :rolleyes2: , newer artist, Hmm... here they are George Straight, Clint Black, Trisha Yearwood, (tol' yall I was no spring chicken and no Garth Brooks or Dixie Chicks by the way.) Older artist..., Hank Williams (Don't have any Hank Williams Jr. stuff either.), George Jones, Tanya Tucker, Marty Robbins... Different stuff, Beethoven, Gospel, and a cd that came with a movie titled " Gentle Country Monments" (Stings with no vocal, probably gets played the most right now. :guitar: ) Wrangler Christmas cd for the holidays (complimentary copy from the local western wear store when I bought a pair or two of jeans.) So mostly mellowish type stuff to keep from distracting me too much! (My nearly grown teenagers do that often enough and then I have to yell at them, can't think when there is too much noise. :crazy: ) Used to have a local radio station that played a variety of old and new country music but they shut down and all that's left is a station that plays only new stuff. (I think it's the same four or five songs over and over, (I could be wrong, might be the same two or three.) all day and all night, or it all sounds the same, can't really tell! :thumbsdown: ) My wife has one Yannie cd (Big fat Yawn), a Celtic Christmas cd, some Kenny G, several more Gospel cds and then some Mannheim Steamroller. What can I say her friends at her work have corrupted (No wrong word), "influenced" her.(Right word.)

Disclaimer: The veiws expressed here are soley the veiw of Grumyguy and are presented for entertainment value only. They are not to be construed as the views of the management, whoever that maybe. Have a great time listening to the music of your choice!

Edited by grumpyguy

I have been listening to streamed internet radio of late. Other than that my tastes are rather diverse and range from 40's big band, Blues, Motown, Country which I tend to listen to mostly as I age and can no longer tolerate most (but not all) modern stuff. I must agree with David as I have a lot of American chopper on DVD and love SR and Jr going hammer and tongs with a bit of Mikey for Dufus factor comic relief. Also add.

Adrian (aka Buckaroogirl). Do yourselves a favour and check this kid out for something refreshingly different.

Riders of the purple sage

Bev Mitchell (played Lucy on 7th heaven and is now branching out into music)

When I need a little saddler type motivational music I put on full bore Jethro Tull's heavy horses

AC DC or Acca Dacca

Little bit of Reba

Terri Clark

Alison Krauss

Clannad

Sunny Cowgirls (a couple of young Aussie sisters who sing country but with an Aussie flavour.

wow- flashback! Las time I saw Taj we were on a plane together circling Burbank airport. Some problem on the ground so for 45 minutes I played mandolin and he had a dobro. Great time- good fella, good memories!!

pete

My music tastes are pretty eclectic too. Depends on the mood I'm in. After work, I tend to like relaxing music like classical, or even some soft 50's. Weekends are usually louder like the old style country found on "Willie's Place", or maybe some bluegrass. Sometimes I just turn on a raunchy comedy station, and laugh while I work.

Having XM radio is really neat for those of us who can't make up our minds... :)

I listen to a bunch of different stuff. I like a lot/ mostly the old rock hard and soft. I was born country, grew up rock and roll hippie, and loved it all. I like everything from Boz Scaggs to Ricky Scaggs, Charlie Daniels to The New York Dolls, Alice Cooper, Kiss, Glen Campbell, Ann Murray, Charlie Pride, Merle Haggard, Golden Earring, Boston, really loved Bob Segar and the Silver Bullit Band, plus like some classical and Kenny G. I, like probably a lot of you download what I want and make my own CD's. I just grab a handful, stick them in and let it go, as long as it is semi loud, too loud and the wife starts complaining that she can't hear the TV, LOL. I'm trying to find I'll get you yet you little bugger you, by the Nose Pickers, If you hear it anywhere let me know. When I'm tooling I have to have something with a beat, as it helps my rythum, especially when beveling or backgrounding something. The music just helps me get it smoother. Billy P

I listen to a bunch of different stuff. I like a lot/ mostly the old rock hard and soft. I was born country, grew up rock and roll hippie, and loved it all. I like everything from Boz Scaggs to Ricky Scaggs, Charlie Daniels to The New York Dolls, Alice Cooper, Kiss, Glen Campbell, Ann Murray, Charlie Pride, Merle Haggard, Golden Earring, Boston, really loved Bob Segar and the Silver Bullit Band, plus like some classical and Kenny G. I, like probably a lot of you download what I want and make my own CD's. I just grab a handful, stick them in and let it go, as long as it is semi loud, too loud and the wife starts complaining that she can't hear the TV, LOL. I'm trying to find I'll get you yet you little bugger you, by the Nose Pickers, If you hear it anywhere let me know. When I'm tooling I have to have something with a beat, as it helps my rythum, especially when beveling or backgrounding something. The music just helps me get it smoother. Billy P

BILLY P WHEN YOU FIND THAT SONG HELP ME FIND THIS ONE, I KNOW YOU HAVE HEARD IT.

''DOES YOUR CHEWING GUM LOOSE IT'S FLAVOR ON THE BED POST OVER NIGHT"

:rofl:

C'mon Luke, I know you got both of those on 8 track....LOL sorry, I had too.

Ken

BillyP, I saw Bob Segar way back in the seventies, he is about my all time fav as well.

Luke I found the one your looking for.... Chewing Gum

Edited by Beaverslayer

Chris LeDoux (my son just got his latest CD/DVD collection, watching the videos makes us miss him more than ever)

Waylon Jennings, Trick Pony, Dixie Chicks (they may be idiots, but they can sing)

Dr Hook, Chris LeDoux, Meatloaf, Cher, REO Speedwagon, Chris LeDoux, Neil Diamond, oh and Chris LeDoux

Just put in some Bob Seger... Oh, yeah... that does it. I think I'll start naming bags after Seger songs:

"Against the Wind"

"Travelin' Man"

"Old Time Rock 'n' Roll'

"Roll Me Away"

"Night Moves"

"Ramblin', Gamblin' Man"

"Feel Like a Number"

Ed