Mjolnir

Show your Shop

7 minutes ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

Lol... Cmon @bikermutt07 you’re a carpenter and you also know how to use the French cleat system! :lol: No more excuses...:P

The plumber's pipes always leak. If I do it for work, I don't want to do it at home. Plus it takes away from leather play time (which is always limited due to side work to make ends wave at each other).

The ends just never seem to meet anymore.

Lets get the honesty out there right now...

The pics were taken directly after I created the space. I was jammering on the kitchen table the day before... Yet I had this space with all the furniture and tunes and TV just sitting there.

Also, (Ducks head to avoid swipes to back of head) I have a 2 car garage I could use, a 10x16 shed, and a full finished basement with a heavy duty 4x8 table (another thread)

Here is my stitching pony and first stitches

Its funny, ALL the steps seam like the easy ones on YouTube... Till you try thrm

IMG_20180102_220700.jpg

IMG_20180102_220708.jpg

Edited by Sledzep01
added

15 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

The plumber's pipes always leak. If I do it for work, I don't want to do it at home. Plus it takes away from leather play time (which is always limited due to side work to make ends wave at each other).

The ends just never seem to meet anymore.

I know exactly where you’re coming from! :P when I built my house, we walked on the concrete floors for 3 years before I covered them with wood. And I’m a flooring contractor!!! :lol:

2 hours ago, Sledzep01 said:

Lets get the honesty out there right now...

The pics were taken directly after I created the space. I was jammering on the kitchen table the day before... Yet I had this space with all the furniture and tunes and TV just sitting there.

Also, (Ducks head to avoid swipes to back of head) I have a 2 car garage I could use, a 10x16 shed, and a full finished basement with a heavy duty 4x8 table (another thread)

Here is my stitching pony and first stitches

Its funny, ALL the steps seam like the easy ones on YouTube... Till you try thrm

IMG_20180102_220700.jpg

IMG_20180102_220708.jpg

I'm naming this one the Shetland Pony! :)

2 hours ago, Mjolnir said:

I'm naming this one the Shetland Pony! :)

I think its more of a Foal, than a pony!

Don't make me show you the stack of 6x1's, 6x2's, 2x4's etc down stairs.

Any normal person would have built a stitching pony by now, but are any of us really normal?

I was downstairs taking pics for something else so...

Since many of you made me jealous with all of your tools and Experience ambience I figured I could return the favor by showing you all the room I have for when I need it. These do not show the shed or garage...

The first is the next place I will move into. The other 2 are just in case I end up with a successful business (not really trying for that but who knows)

That's the next leather doner in the back there

IMG_20180103_181525.jpg

IMG_20180103_181620.jpg

IMG_20180103_181557.jpg

34 minutes ago, Sledzep01 said:

I think its more of a Foal, than a pony!

Don't make me show you the stack of 6x1's, 6x2's, 2x4's etc down stairs.

Any normal person would have built a stitching pony by now, but are any of us really normal?

I think it’s great that you improvised and didn’t let a stitching pony stop you from making leather goods. I would wrap a piece of leather around the wood to stop it marking the project. 

Yeah... stitching is not as easy as it looks. :huh:

12 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

We all posted our unreasonable state of chaos....

Well, everyone wants to be the best at SOMETHING, and I've been trying to resist the urge to post pics of my "in the middle of moving in" shop.  I think if there was a contest for the biggest state of chaos, I would have a good shot at winning.  So, I guess I better put my money where my mouth is and show a couple pics.  Sad thing is, I'm not anywhere near done moving.

I tried to load some more, but it kept throwing me a size error, even though they're way below the size limit.

IMG_6120E.jpg

11 minutes ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

IMG_6120E.jpg

I'm just drooling over all the leather and tools, don't care if its a little unorganized. Visited the local Tandy store the other day and your supply blows them out of the water, it was so disappointing to be in there after the new managers took over, I needed a 8/9 oz veg side, there were only three to choose between.

Edited by Jake907

I've been heating two buildings so far this winter waiting for the builders to finish.  It was 25 below zero a couple mornings ago, with 3 days where the high did not get above zero,  and that old shop is just to hard to heat, so I figured, screw it, I'm done heating it, and I'm moving in.  Now they're going to have to wait on me to get back in and finish up their job.  I'm going to try to be back up operating next week, in some way, shape, or form.

IMG_6122EE.jpg

IMG_6108E.jpg

IMG_6118E.jpg

1 minute ago, Jake907 said:

I'm just drooling over all the leather and tools, don't care if its a little unorganized.

Kind of looks like my shop - organized chaos!

Minus 25..... Takes me back to the period in my life living in Montana. Plugging the engine block heater at night so she'll start in the morning!

Here's some more leather for you Jake:-)  In the second photo, my tooling bench is going to be right in front of the window.  The third picture might be the most chaotic of the bunch.   Any volunteers to help move the heavy stuff this weekend?  :lol:

IMG_6117E.jpg

IMG_6114E.jpg

IMG_6109E.jpg

21 minutes ago, garypl said:

Kind of looks like my shop - organized chaos!

Just chaos here, no organization whatsoever.  Well maybe the clicker dies!  I did that about 3 weekends ago, when there really wasn't any pressure. 

3 minutes ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

Here's some more leather for you Jake:-)  In the second photo, my tooling bench is going to be right in front of the window.  The third picture might be the most chaotic of the bunch.   Any volunteers to help move the heavy stuff this weekend?  :lol:

IMG_6117E.jpg

IMG_6114E.jpg

IMG_6109E.jpg

Well big souix....that is one heck of a lot of machines and shop you got there,    I suspect you could make just about anything you could dream!

5 minutes ago, Rossr said:

Well big souix....that is one heck of a lot of machines and shop you got there,    I suspect you could make just about anything you could dream!

I can't make boots and shoes, and I don't do clothes.  I'm really looking forward to getting everything completely set up.  Most of the heavy machines are still at the old shop.  Bench machines are scattered here and there, everywhere but on the benches.

Just now, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

I can't make boots and shoes, and I don't do clothes.  I'm really looking forward to getting everything completely set up.  Most of the heavy machines are still at the old shop.  Bench machines are scattered here and there, everywhere but on the benches.

what you meant to say was you havent tried to make boots shoes or clothes.    :)   You will be living once you get things set the way you want!!    Cant imagine how long it took yo to amass all those machines and tools

23 minutes ago, Rossr said:

what you meant to say was you havent tried to make boots shoes or clothes.    :)   You will be living once you get things set the way you want!!    Cant imagine how long it took yo to amass all those machines and tools

I would like to make a couple pairs of boots for myself someday, sooner rather than later.  But dang they're intimidating!   I started doing leather work about 40 years ago, so I guess you could say it's taken me 40 years to acquire my "collection".  That makes me feel kind of old, now that I see it in print.

4 hours ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

I would like to make a couple pairs of boots for myself someday, sooner rather than later.  But dang they're intimidating!   I started doing leather work about 40 years ago, so I guess you could say it's taken me 40 years to acquire my "collection".  That makes me feel kind of old, now that I see it in print.

That is a heck of a lot of stuff you have there. Thanks for sharing.

I was tooling around Lisa Sorrell's website the other day. She has a two week course on boot making where you leave with your own boots that you make. And that includes a pair of lasts that she shapes for you  and her DVD collection. It's expensive, but seems like a good deal given the price her boots demand. Maybe that would make a nice vacation for ya.

4 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

That is a heck of a lot of stuff you have there. Thanks for sharing.

I was tooling around Lisa Sorrell's website the other day. She has a two week course on boot making where you leave with your own boots that you make. And that includes a pair of lasts that she shapes for you  and her DVD collection. It's expensive, but seems like a good deal given the price her boots demand. Maybe that would make a nice vacation for ya.

If I was 25 years younger, I'd think about it.  I absolutely don't want to make boots for the public, and that's a lot of money just to make a couple pairs for myself.  Not saying her course isn't worth it, just that it wouldn't be worth it for me.  Right now a vacation sounds good though, to somewhere that it doesn't take 15 minutes to get dressed to go outside, and then once you're out there you realize you have to go to the bathroom so you go back in, take everything back off, do your business, then get dressed all over again.  Yep, that's getting real old and it's only the first week in January.

3 minutes ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

If I was 25 years younger, I'd think about it.  I absolutely don't want to make boots for the public, and that's a lot of money just to make a couple pairs for myself.  Not saying her course isn't worth it, just that it wouldn't be worth it for me.  Right now a vacation sounds good though, to somewhere that it doesn't take 15 minutes to get dressed to go outside, and then once you're out there you realize you have to go to the bathroom so you go back in, take everything back off, do your business, then get dressed all over again.  Yep, that's getting real old and it's only the first week in January.

Then that vacation wouldn't work, she's in Oklahoma. Ha!

I think the class would be worth it, but it is way out of my tax bracket. If I could afford that, wife would have us at Disney world.

So, Big Sioux, how much stuff have you re-discovered that you'd forgotten  you had?

The other side of that coin is that when you finally get it all put away again...you still have to remember where it is NOW.  I hate moving.

Who makes the clicker dies for you? 

Thats an amazing amount of stuff. There’s a lovely smell of leather as I walk into my workshop :yes: you must get a high from the sell of leather in your shop? :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, alpha2 said:

So, Big Sioux, how much stuff have you re-discovered that you'd forgotten  you had?

The other side of that coin is that when you finally get it all put away again...you still have to remember where it is NOW.  I hate moving.

Lots and lots!  Like 7, that's SEVEN lbs of black 277 thread when I really only ever need two lbs at any given time.  Bags and bags of hardware that I'd doubled and tripled up on when I couldn't find the first bag.  For the last 7 years I've been cramped into an old, cold, dark farm shop building.  It was supposed to be 6 months at the most, but many of you know how a divorce can go.  During that time I had inventory stashed in every room in my house, a semi trailer, my garage, my horse trailer, and my barn, besides the building I was working out of.  It was a miserable hellish seven years.  Ultimate goal is too have a place for everything, and everything in it's place.  As it was, I'd spend way too much time looking for stuff, and my efficiency was terrible.  I've dreaded this move at the same time knowing that things would not get better until after the move.  I still have nightmares from the last time I moved, and that was just my household stuff!

3 hours ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

Who makes the clicker dies for you? 

Thats an amazing amount of stuff. There’s a lovely smell of leather as I walk into my workshop :yes: you must get a high from the sell of leather in your shop? :thumbsup:

The clicker dies I've accumulated over the last 25 years, from a number of places.  The first ones I got from Big Sky Die, and they aren't around anymore.  Quite a few I got used, and aren't marked so Idk where they came from.  I have some from Texas Custom, Cut Rite, International, Viking.  

Unless I've been away for a few days, I can't smell the leather anymore.  Once in awhile, if I get a new batch of quite a few sides at a time, it'll smell good for a few days, but that was in a much smaller space.  I'm not sure with as much space as the new shop is, it'll be concentrated enough to smell it.   Everyone else takes a deep breath when they come through the door and comment on how good it smells, so  I guess a person gets somewhat "immune" to it.  Too bad that doesn't happen with the glue!

I've been so inspired by all of you and your workspaces, from the little hole in the wall places to the big professional shops. Thank you everyone for sharing. So, now I've decided that I "need" a dedicated leather workspace of my own, so I gave away my old recliner and set up a table in the corner of my living room by the wood stove. IMG_0137.thumb.jpg.980d17cb23d78d0749209460d5cd55d4.jpg