Mjolnir

Show your Shop

35 minutes ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

Yes, sooner or later we all seem to get bitten by that bug.  What starts out as a means to an end (needing a specific machine or tool to do  job) eventually becomes an obsession to acquire an entire set of every style of vintage edger, or all of the stamping tools by a specific maker, or a complete line of obsolete stitchers of a particular brand, or one (or two or three) or every style of leather splitter, and on and on it goes.  But I always tell myself there are worse things I could be spending money on. 

No comment...no where is my post on the stamps I am looking for....lol

7 hours ago, Mjolnir said:

The older I get the more I appreciate small towns. Mine, like many others has Main St., there you will find the nicer houses. One in particular recently had an addition. Behind this White Victorian a little log cabin popped up almost over night, chimney and all. Again because its a small town I know its a work shop because church going lady's know everything, and they knew about it a month before I noticed it. I think I should stop by tomorrow and see If I can get a peek. honestly I don't care what is inside. Everyday I drive by and my heart skips a beat.

Another thought I'm having is how many deer, and other animals are being hunted practically in my back yard. I can't find anyone who cures the leather. They keep the rack, eat the stew, and toss the skin!

Not that I need one but I do want one. I'm on a mission of one new toy a month. These shop photos have givin me the itch. Half of this hobby is an addiction to collecting, is it not?

The really hopeless ones are the guys that get into sewing machine collections.

I couldn't imagine filling my tiny house with sewing machines.

Until last year, I did all my work at the kitchen table with a rolling cart to store everything I used regularly. My husband suggested I take a spot in the garage, so here it is.

IMG_0138.JPG.92175e9419589110f41ad90488c3b813.JPG

I'm still arranging and most everything is in the drawers or totes. The rolling cart holds projects in progress, patterns, sharpening supplies, hardware, etc.

IMG_0139.JPG.87ce981cf35352b8e8a7cc3315f2df62.JPG

My Tippmann is behind the rolling workbench covered by the black and white scarf. Machine sewing supplies are in a tote on the cobblers bench.  When I machine sew, I roll one workbench aside and slide out the machine.

IMG_0140.JPG.d5bc5baf611be49b810474c61f3f7347.JPG

Here's my view of the workspace 

IMG_0141.JPG.d3d542d40477fbb6299354d45563cde9.JPG

It's clean because I'm relaxing after the Christmas rush, and my husband just installed these hanging areas for my projects (and a few other random things)

IMG_0142.JPG.aa544b79eeb3a4bff0002cdd5458e92c.JPG

IMG_0143.JPG.4f44ab4d673066afbb6c50930115f007.JPG

This is my happy place! :)

9 hours ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

Yes, sooner or later we all seem to get bitten by that bug.  What starts out as a means to an end (needing a specific machine or tool to do  job) eventually becomes an obsession to acquire an entire set of every style of vintage edger, or all of the stamping tools by a specific maker, or a complete line of obsolete stitchers of a particular brand, or one (or two or three) or every style of leather splitter, and on and on it goes.  But I always tell myself there are worse things I could be spending money on. 

Well said, an healthy addiction even though it can lead to divorce... :lol:

59 minutes ago, TxLeather said:

Well said, an healthy addiction even though it can lead to divorce... :lol:

That can't happen here, as I'm a "committee of one"!   But there was a divorce, and an addiction played a part, but that addiction had nothing to show after the money was gone.  At least my addiction can be resold!

8 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

The really hopeless ones are the guys that get into sewing machine collections.

I couldn't imagine filling my tiny house with sewing machines.

I guess I should just plead the fifth on this one!  It's not really that big of a collection.  I know people that are a lot worse.  Ha ha!

9 hours ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

That can't happen here, as I'm a "committee of one"!   But there was a divorce, and an addiction played a part, but that addiction had nothing to show after the money was gone.  At least my addiction can be resold!

I guess I should just plead the fifth on this one!  It's not really that big of a collection.  I know people that are a lot worse.  Ha ha!

"It's not really that big of a collection" 

Famous last words of an addict. 

A friend if mine says "i am addicted to break fluid.... but i can stop anytime i want." Sure.....

Two years in and I'm still adding.  Stuff ...  not space.  Working area is about 6'x8', if i'm lucky.  By the way, that's not clutter, that's everything in a constant state of flux!

Shop 2017.jpg

Brooks125 nice to see another submariner!!!

6 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

"It's not really that big of a collection" 

Famous last words of an addict. 

Maybe he just has a proclivity toward small mechanical contraptions...

2 minutes ago, Jake907 said:

Maybe he just has a proclivity toward small mechanical contraptions...

Well "he" is actually a "she" (born that way, not something I decided to change partway through my life!),  and yes I do have a proclivity toward small, and sometimes not so small, mechanical contraptions!

2 minutes ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

Well "he" is actually a "she" (born that way, not something I decided to change partway through my life!),  and yes I do have a proclivity toward small, and sometimes not so small, mechanical contraptions!

well, that was awkward, sorry ma'am. I'm still new here.

6 minutes ago, Jake907 said:

well, that was awkward, sorry ma'am. I'm still new here.

It's all good, no apology needed.  I'm somewhat used to it since I don't have my gender listed in my profile, and most people expect a tool and machine junkie to be male.  And welcome, btw:)

8 hours ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

Cant help but think of the lesser know Johny Cash song "a girl named Sioux"...

And yes welcome Jake.

OK remember I am the definition of a beginner. I do not even have a stitching clam. I use 2 clamps with 2 pieces of wood.

These pics show my work area, Supply mess on the bed, an overall pic of the 10x12? space

and some shelves with miscellaneous leather and gun stuff

Although I do have a great view to my back yard facing north east. great when I catch the Deer or the Fox

IMG_20180102_175418.jpg

IMG_20180102_175428.jpg

IMG_20180102_175444.jpg

IMG_20180102_175649.jpg

39 minutes ago, Sledzep01 said:

OK remember I am the definition of a beginner. I do not even have a stitching clam. I use 2 clamps with 2 pieces of wood.

These pics show my work area, Supply mess on the bed, an overall pic of the 10x12? space

Although I do have a great view to my back yard facing north east. great when I catch the Deer or the Fox

IMG_20180102_175418.jpg

IMG_20180102_175428.jpg

IMG_20180102_175444.jpg

IMG_20180102_175649.jpg

Shoot man, you're off to a great start. My start was just the kitchen table (in the kitchen).

My start was my kitchen table also, then I just went crazy.

Started on my office desk.  Didn't take long to realize pounding on desk with computer or a card table wasn't going to work.  Moved to garage and things just expanded to fill the space.  

Love seeing the shop photos.  I see a few things I'll need to try.

workshop 1.jpg

shop 2.jpg

1 hour ago, terryHHI said:

Started on my office desk.  Didn't take long to realize pounding on desk with computer or a card table wasn't going to work.  Moved to garage and things just expanded to fill the space.  

Love seeing the shop photos.  I see a few things I'll need to try.

workshop 1.jpg

shop 2.jpg

This is a good looking shop. I wish I had the space for a large cut table. My side cutting takes place on a 1x12 on the floor. And I still don't have enough room to lay it flat.

13 hours ago, Sledzep01 said:

Hey some of us still use a bag of tools at the kitchen/coffee table, your space looks great to me. 

Although, I'm working on something that I might be able to post on this thread very soon, wheelin' an' dealin' with the wife.

28 minutes ago, Jake907 said:

wheelin' an' dealin' with the wife.

Tell her about all the hi-quality good stuff you will be able to make for her!

I am still trying to get some sort of order happening. Sometimes its a temporary table in my lounge room, sometimes I am on my woodwork bench (which has a leaking roof overhead).

I will post when I get to a reasonable state of organisation.

34 minutes ago, Rockoboy said:

Tell her about all the hi-quality good stuff you will be able to make for her!

I am still trying to get some sort of order happening. Sometimes its a temporary table in my lounge room, sometimes I am on my woodwork bench (which has a leaking roof overhead).

I will post when I get to a reasonable state of organisation.

We all posted our unreasonable state of chaos....

4 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

We all posted our unreasonable state of chaos....

I see that in some pics, others are a lesson in OCD. Unfortunately my gear is spread around the house in a couple different locations and covered by other tools and clutter.

I will get to it, the plans have been made, but these things take time. :unsure:

35 minutes ago, Rockoboy said:

I see that in some pics, others are a lesson in OCD. Unfortunately my gear is spread around the house in a couple different locations and covered by other tools and clutter.

I will get to it, the plans have been made, but these things take time. :unsure:

Yeah, actually posting pics forced me to realize just how bad I am wasting my space. Hopefully , there is shelving in my future.

1 hour ago, bikermutt07 said:

Yeah, actually posting pics forced me to realize just how bad I am wasting my space. Hopefully , there is shelving in my future.

Lol... Cmon @bikermutt07 you’re a carpenter and you also know how to use the French cleat system! :lol: No more excuses...:P