Mjolnir

Show your Shop

1 hour ago, Bayou Bengal said:

When I think of the term “workshop”, this is exactly what I see in my head. 

That shop is what happens when Willy Wonka and Santa Clause have a baby and he is a leather worker.

9 minutes ago, motocouture said:

Close up of my bench - I bought clear, plastic makeup holders from TJ Maxx. $5 each, and perfect size to holds small tools and thread etc

233AD84D-F945-4E8D-B4E9-9CFDC98DBE85.jpeg

What is the anvil shaped wood thing on the left? P.S. Beautiful dog!

10 minutes ago, Mjolnir said:

That shop is what happens when Willy Wonka and Santa Clause have a baby and he is a leather worker.

What is the anvil shaped wood thing on the left? P.S. Beautiful dog!

Ha true!

the wood anvil thing is a slightly esoteric sewing tool. I had that and the two ‘clappers’ made for me out of oak by a local carpenter. The anvil is used for pressing fine points on collars or sleeves, and the clappers are used the beat or ‘clap’ seams after steaming to force the fabric fibers into shape. Turns out all three come surprisingly in handy for leatherwork. 

And thank you, he’s one of three fluffy helpers :)

Mjolnir started this thread from a discussion on another thread, and what a great thread!:)

Its fantastic to see all the different workshops and spaces everyone has. And I have picked up some great ideas to add to my own workshop... Thank you :banana:

The work space I’m most impressed with so far was on the original thread before this one... and it’s by Joseph1836  I hope he doesn’t mind me posting his work shop here for him. It’s amazing what you can achieve with so little a work shop!

please keep posting your work spaces!:)

1D2888F2-66CB-4982-A4D0-DE4D750548DB.jpeg

F52FC148-9373-4ABD-9C89-BDA0B50496C2.jpeg

6A6DD430-A339-4EBB-B929-B27420ACB994.jpeg

And Moto couture you have a friendly looking dog to boot!!

Edited by plinkercases

45 minutes ago, Old Coach Saddlery said:

This is my shop. I build and repair equestrian equipment.

WP_20171217_13_43_36_Pro.JPG

WP_20171217_13_42_14_Pro.JPG

WP_20171217_13_42_27_Pro.JPG

WP_20171217_13_42_52_Pro.JPG

WP_20171217_13_43_12_Pro.JPG

Amazing Shop! I can't get past the complete surround of knotted pine! I think that's what it is. My house is a hundred years old and has floors that look like that. Cool stitching pony.

25 minutes ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

Mjolnir started this thread from a discussion on another thread, and what a great thread!:)

Its fantastic to see all the different workshops and spaces everyone has. And I have picked up some great ideas to add to my own workshop... Thank you :banana:

The work space I’m most impressed with so far was on the original thread before this one... and it’s by Joseph1836  I hope he doesn’t mind me posting his work shop here for him. It’s amazing what you can achieve with so little a work shop!

please keep posting your work spaces!

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:28 AM, KingsCountyLeather said:

Have we seen your workshop? :crazy:

I have a bench lol! with a five drawer roll under storage. Bought at Sam's club, highly recommend. I'll start a bench thread.

(This is when KCL called me out on another thread. Thank you for that. Inspiration comes in unlikely moments. Some times it's best to act before you even realize that it happened.)

Extra credit for quoting Douglas Adams.

4 hours ago, alpha2 said:

Extra credit for quoting Douglas Adams.

:16:

This was the shop yesterday morning.  A non profit asked if they could hold a photoshoot for low income families of Oakland, CA.

Untitled_Panoramdfga1.jpg.5d02dcb1a4bfaa689fa246208802d67e.jpg

And this is how it looks this morning...for the moment.  I live and work in an old warehouse.  The living room, over by the windows also holds the hand woodworking tools.  I'm standing in outer parts of the kitchen that is where the car gets parked.  The woodworking machines live to the left, the big photo equipment is stored there as well until needed.  The space is never ever ever the same, it can be completely different in a matter of minutes.

The rolling cart in the foreground holds leather tools as well as cameras, lenses etc.

The line of wine bottles are from recent wine shoots...one of the perks is I have a never ending supply of free top of the line wine.

Untitled_Panorzxama1.jpg.d707071b37c26adf0c5a52fca70b15a2.jpg

Good lord our shop's a mess.  Nice pictures everyone.

38 minutes ago, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

Lets see it anyway, I will be contacting you after the holidays I emailed you last week about a cylinder.

40 minutes ago, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

I would have to see proof of that before I'd believe it's worse than mine right now. . .I'm still in the process of moving and I'm about to pull my hair out from frustration.

On 12/17/2017 at 2:40 PM, KingsCountyLeather said:

please keep posting your work spaces!:)

This has to be one of the nicest tools bags never heard of them, I looked them up they make some really nice stuff a little pricey but they look very well made.

Ok... you all have inspired me to clean up my workshop today! It’s cramped but it’s the best it’s going to get.

it used to be my office but now a desk in the corner is good enough. My sons also use it to exercise “sometimes”.

The books I bought from other retired leather workers. The leather on the table I bought from a shoe factory that closed about 10 years ago, there’s at least 30 skins there.

6B78A035-0BE3-4505-89A6-27D81D7731CF.jpeg

9DFB585F-4EEC-4648-B2C3-E7A300B55737.jpeg

643C923C-47A4-48E1-BEB2-2729F5F50F20.jpeg

40FE3566-B259-4516-9CA7-FBE48F3EB69C.jpeg

09B2612B-4C9F-40EB-AF72-C7C5043A899B.jpeg

F366FFBF-A9AA-48B8-A5D9-71804DD13ADD.jpeg

9 minutes ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

Ok... you all have inspired me to clean up my workshop today! It’s cramped but it’s the best it’s going to get.

it used to be my office but now a desk in the corner is good enough. My sons also use it to exercise “sometimes”.

The books I bought from other retired leather workers. The leather on the table I bought from a shoe factory that closed about 10 years ago, there’s at least 30 skins there.

6B78A035-0BE3-4505-89A6-27D81D7731CF.jpeg

9DFB585F-4EEC-4648-B2C3-E7A300B55737.jpeg

643C923C-47A4-48E1-BEB2-2729F5F50F20.jpeg

40FE3566-B259-4516-9CA7-FBE48F3EB69C.jpeg

09B2612B-4C9F-40EB-AF72-C7C5043A899B.jpeg

F366FFBF-A9AA-48B8-A5D9-71804DD13ADD.jpeg

I have the same exact weight machine in my work area plus a weight bench and other equipment, duel purpose room. Wow you fit a lot of machines in that room very well organized.

Funny I think we all must be cut from the same scrap leather. Love the space. Mine also shares the workout machine, and I love my darts :)

20171218_184524_resized_1.jpg

I think I dust my work out machine more then I use it, after the new year I need to make room for a cylinder sewing machine so I might have to get rid of the machine and join a gym.  Might make me work out more if I am paying for it, that stitching clam is beautiful @Mjolnir what kind of paint do you use when you are brush?

The darts can stay... but if I can convince the kids to sell the exercise machine, move the office desk into the house then I’d have more room for other leather stuff!;) I’d even make a corner for a new stitching clam http://leatherworker.net/forum/profile/67331-mjolnir/ if you’d like to make me one?? :rolleyes2: also, what compressor are you using with the airbrush?

Hole smokes!!! Does that breaker bar turn that 2 ton press into a 2000 ton press!?!?!?

I can hear it now, "yeah, I wanted to put a maker's mark in that thin piece of bridle leather, but it ended up in the basement, I don't know WHAT happened."

18 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

Hole smokes!!! Does that breaker bar turn that 2 ton press into a 2000 ton press!?!?!?

I can hear it now, "yeah, I wanted to put a maker's mark in that thin piece of bridle leather, but it ended up in the basement, I don't know WHAT happened."

Lol... maybe it is a little over the top! I found it so I used it.:banana: I can almost get a proper stamp without any pressure from me.

By the way it was a 1 tonne and I’d say it’s probably 3 tonne now! :lol:

9 hours ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

The darts can stay... but if I can convince the kids to sell the exercise machine, move the office desk into the house then I’d have more room for other leather stuff!;) I’d even make a corner for a new stitching clam http://leatherworker.net/forum/profile/67331-mjolnir/ if you’d like to make me one?? :rolleyes2: also, what compressor are you using with the airbrush?

we can work something out on the clam. The compressor isn't worth mentioning, it was clearance at Hobby Lobby. I need a bigger one.

9 hours ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

I'm loving this thread....

So did I miss the maid service? Everyone's shop is so 'clean' with the exception of Leathersmyth's and my own.

Show of hands... who cleaned up first before the pictures were taken? 

Some great looking shops! 

Heres mine in the basement. I'm cleaning up some areas so I can make more room to work. 

IMG_2743.JPG

Still building on it.  I used to work in the garage but moved operations into the house.  I repurposed one of my rooms to house my machines and I'm gradually bringing everything else in. 

workshop.JPG

Edited by Pauls Leather

3 hours ago, Pauls Leather said:

Still building on it.  I used to work in the garage but moved operations into the house.  I repurposed one of my rooms to house my machines and I'm gradually bringing everything else in. 

workshop.JPG

"Nurse, skiver please."

"Yes Doctor."