LeatherPlusArtGalore

Log Cabin

So I started this project about a year ago and have recently picked it back up again.  I am working on making, (I'll be fair and say 90%) leather log cabin. I am in the very beginning stages but thought I would share my process with you.  So I will periodically post new pictures as the project progresses.  I have been pretty excited about this and I am having fun trying to figure things out as I go.  So right now I have a floor, 3 walls, the start of the roof, one working window and a door with (yes) metal hinges ( the only non-leather material so far., the door is not actually attached as of yet.  So in the picture with the door in place,.. it is just kind of sitting in there.    

cabin.jpg

door inside.jpg

door outside.jpg

window.jpg

roof.jpg

floor.jpg

wall.jpg

Wow... I love the attention to details you have

Very clever use of leather.  I love the wood textures..

Thank you.  Yeah my goal is to get it to look as realistic as possible.  This will definitely be a long term project.  

Hey thanks so much immiketoo.  

Very creative! What did you use to make the white lines between the 'logs'?

25 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Very creative! What did you use to make the white lines between the 'logs'?

It is just tacky glue.  I grooved out the lines and filled them in with glue and after it dried I coated the whole thing it in X-1 Leather dressing.  So it is not as white now that its all said and done but it gave it just enough difference to give it the look I was going for.    

Nice project! How do you plan to make a roof?

its looking great. love the way you did the wood texture to it.

Cool!

If this ain't cooler than any leather thing I've ever seen, I don't remember it.

Too many almost identical leather bags in the world :)

Creative art, no matter the media should be non-compliant with all the rest and be new and refreshing.

Your wood detail and texture is amazing.

I can't wait to see more!

I created a 'Sailboat' entirely out of leather, including the sails, other than the main mast and boom made from Chinese chop sticks. The lines are heavy waxed thread:)

Sam

21 hours ago, ABHandmade said:

Nice project! How do you plan to make a roof?

Right now I am tooling it to look like old wood slats.  It's only going on the one side, (I'm keeping it three walls only.)  I'm thinking about putting a strip that is one wood slat wide on the other side just for the effect of it.  I will probably do some log looking trusses.  This will be a two story cabin with the second story a loft.  

Edited by LeatherPlusArtGalore

20 hours ago, kiwican said:

Well done! 

Thank you

16 hours ago, Ragingstallion said:

its looking great. love the way you did the wood texture to it.

Thank you so much.  Yeah it was tough to get through it got a little repetitive.  

15 hours ago, battlemunky said:

If this ain't cooler than any leather thing I've ever seen, I don't remember it.

Hey thank you so much.  That means so much.  My very first 3D leather sculpture I did was a baby grand piano.

baby grande.JPG

baby grande2.JPG

5 hours ago, ComputerDoctor said:

Too many almost identical leather bags in the world :)

Creative art, no matter the media should be non-compliant with all the rest and be new and refreshing.

Your wood detail and texture is amazing.

I can't wait to see more!

I created a 'Sailboat' entirely out of leather, including the sails, other than the main mast and boom made from Chinese chop sticks. The lines are heavy waxed thread:)

Sam

Thank you so much.  Even though I love all kinds of leatherwork it is refreshing to do something different, and I love the fact that there really isn't anything you can't do when working with leather.  I will definitely keep posting my progress.  You Sailboat sound really cool.  Do you have any pictures of it I would love to see it.  

Aaaah! A leather project that doesn't require burnished edges... ;)

The cabin is cool. The baby grand is way... grand, cool! Great art, this.

27 minutes ago, Riem said:

Aaaah! A leather project that doesn't require burnished edges... ;)

The cabin is cool. The baby grand is way... grand, cool! Great art, this.

Yeah its a nice change to not have to worry about the edges for sure.  Thank you for your compliments.  

You're one of the reasons I love this forum.  There are so many people doing so many creative things with leather that I would never have imagined.

I love the wood textures on the cabin and I love the piano too.

27 minutes ago, rodneywt1180b said:

You're one of the reasons I love this forum.  There are so many people doing so many creative things with leather that I would never have imagined.

I love the wood textures on the cabin and I love the piano too.

I appreciate that.  I too have seen so many awesome inspiring things that others have created.  

I really like your work. I am pleased to look at further photos of the process and the finished product.

Are you really using a screwdriver to make the shake shingles? Or was it just in the shot? Gotta love multipurpose tools.

that is so very cool. I imagine a great deal of thought goes into each individual piece of leather used.

17 hours ago, LeatherPlusArtGalore said:

Do you have any pictures of it I would love to see it.  

The sailboat is approx 15 inches long and 5 inches wide. It is on display in my Showroom, in My Computer Business:)

IMG_2288.JPG

IMG_2315.JPG

On 11/7/2018 at 4:51 PM, ABHandmade said:

I really like your work. I am pleased to look at further photos of the process and the finished product.

Thank you