I began making face masks about the last week of February. My wife just turned up her nose and thought it was another of my various and sundry activities and walked off.

It is now May 3rd 2020 and I am finishing what will be be my 300th mask. Have given away at least 250 of those, the remainder, folks felt sorry for me I guess and gave me some money. lol

Truth is, what has been donated to my cause has just about paid for the materials I have bought. Time spent? A number of eight and ten hour days. I am doing this strictly with no help other than my wife shipping masks for me.

Masks are made of two layers cotton fabric, lining is bleached muslin. They are open on left and right side to accommodate extra filter material, wife slips a rolled up facial tissue under her nose to keep spectacles from clouding over.

My hands and arms ache as though they had a toothache, I am sure there are a lot more folks in much worse condition than I. This is a rewarding episode of many in my fairly long life, eighty six years. I don't see family members except by looking out on the porch when they come to get masks. Wife feeds me and we "Pick-Up" food from most anywhere we can find open with "Curbside" service or "Drive Thru". I am actually enjoying sewing the masks. Cutting the pieces out, not so much fun. Am going to enclose photos of a few.

I was waiting for wife to return to parking lot of Target yesterday when I had to note how many folks were actually wearing masks. Governor of Ohio had issued a mandatory wearing of masks when out and about, later changed that to "if you wish to" when a good number of folks cried "Foul". Young people from mid thirties down, seem to resist wearing them the most. Most older are wearing them although you could pick out the people who wouldn't wear them anyway by the expressions on their faces.

I am not following the news very close since everything is Politisized. I sincerely believe folks should at least wear them if for no other reason than to help protect the folks around you. If you are too self centered to considered them...........

Have a great day and don't forget,

We are not necessarily in this together

Ferg

IMG_0348.jpeg

IMG_0359.jpeg

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_1405.jpeg

You're a good man, Ferg.

- Bill

Good on you Ferg! 

That's a lot of work.  I spent a weekend making masks for my wife who has to wear them at work.  I have to make some for me today.  I have to go back into the office tomorrow.  I can't imagine making 300 of them. 

Thank you, Ferg. Even for the self-centered. Regardless of all else, you are doing good.

Your actions are greatly appreciated. 

Hats off to you Ferg. I wish more people would take this serious. I just finished 10 mask this morning bringing my total up to 60. I have given away every one I have made and I have not received any help buying material. Wearing a mask protects everyone from you as well as protecting you from everyone. I personally think it is selfish for people not wear one. It is the least they can do to help heal our country. Ferg I don’t think I will ever catch up to how many you have made and I would like to say THANK YOU for your hard work!

I've made a bunch also but not that many your a good man Ferg !!!!!!!!!!!! God bless you!

5 hours ago, airplaneguy said:

I would like to say THANK YOU for your hard work!

I totally agree and well said. Thank you Ferg.

Nice job, Ferg. Interesting observation regarding the ages of the mask wearers. Here in the Seattle area I’ve noticed the exact opposite trend: mostly young people (still including myself in that category at 40, some days at least!) wearing them and mostly older folks without them.

Edited by Retswerb
Typo fix

Hahn's Atelier has free PDF patterns for leather 'proper' face masks, designed to take replaceable filters

imagesN5KCY42V.jpg.ba04faf59dc29c53a44e993619f481fb.jpgimages8XJGCWTG.jpg.39c67c83689a3d1aaf622312ee7069ba.jpg.

there's a youtube how-to video here with downloadable pattern.

I made one in black bridle leather but tan ones look a lot less like fetish gear.

1252335882_20200401_103508(Medium).thumb.jpg.fbc57c3fa462deb307b1b4e7bd29bb31.jpg626991308_20200401_103519(Medium).thumb.jpg.f25bf0e3e11aa5cfafb780b32f773f91.jpg

Well at least it will give the neighbours something to talk about :)

Awesome, peace to you.