sandmanred

Thread snips

What is a good quality thread snip and where do you like to get them?

About 25 years ago I got a sewing machine to repair tents & rucsacs, and just got some thread snips from the haberdashery stall on my local market for about £1-25, probably less than $2. 

No idea what make they are, but they've worked perfectly ever since, for both machine sewing, and later when i started doing leatherwork 

I use 'embroidery' scissors, bought in a knitting shop years ago. They are super sharp

I also have some pairs of snips for occasional use and for cutting thin leather lace.

like these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thread-Snips-Scissors-Yarn-Sewing-Cutter-Craft-High-Quality-Seam-Ripper-Each/142076493897?hash=item21146b4049:g:aX8AAOSwi2lZjYJv

when I bought mine I got 3 for £1, so I bought a load and distributed them to friends

The tungsten scissors for Kevlar and micro tips for everything else.   Dr slick makes a dozen different models of fly tying scissors, but these are my favorites for sewing - great quality and the prices aren’t bad.

8EC0DD7C-E63D-43E9-87DA-E5F86A0A3B4C.jpeg

Of the half dozen or so I’ve used, these made by Touro are the best that I’ve used. 

I bought mine on eBay, but this is a US source:  https://www.goldstartool.com/4-1-2-straight-ball-bearing-thread-nippers-touro-tesoura.htm  

No affiliation. 

I have used a lot of thread nips over the years by many manufacturers.  I prefer the ones by Gold Seal.  Can be re-sharpened a number of times and parts are available.

glenn

So I got of pair ones that look like this.  The pair got had poorly set rivets so maybe weren't top quality.  They are okay but I think I'll try some of the more $$ ones.

s-l1600.jpg

4 hours ago, sandmanred said:

So I got of pair ones that look like this.  The pair got had poorly set rivets so maybe weren't top quality.  They are okay but I think I'll try some of the more $$ ones.

Those are meant to be disposable, so the Riveting is always cheaply done. Snip until there dull and just toss in the can and grab another sharp snip .
There not made to resharpen, but lightweight and fast, and if you have a bunch of machines, then it easy way to got,  just throw one of them on every machine .
I always buy couple dozen a year of ( eagle Brand ) snip's .  Buy them bulk-packs off Ebay and there only 1-$ each & free shipping .

The Snip's link that ( joon1911 ) posted, from goldstartool , right now are the Best bang for the buck-$

I've been using this one for a few years now, it's an extraordinary quality, it's very sharp and very precise. I'm not rich enough to buy cheap.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGZrOLEhuFZ/

the curved model.

Edited by paloma

I like the cheap disposable thread snips as nylon Rigging said when they are dull toss them, for stuff cutting stuff I really don't care about how the cut looks because it is going to be covered I use cheap dollar store scissors and for the good stuff that needs to be cut nice and proper, I use 440 stainless steel or Titanium scissors. I think it really comes down to your budget, intended use and how long you want to get out of them. My good scissors were expensive but they are 20 years old and back then they were really expensive. 

kgg

+1 for disposable snips. When dull, sharpen them once with an old, dull needle, and toss them when they get dull again.

I like a small pair of Singer scissors. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IKCGLM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The thread snips from Tandy are crap.

One thing to keep in mind if you choose the style that Paloma posted, https://www.instagram.com/p/CGZrOLEhuFZ/

is that you can reach for them without taking your eyes off your work,'

and not have to scramble-grab to get your fingers through the loops that scissor styles nips have.

They are a good temper-saver.

On 12/16/2020 at 6:06 AM, shoepatcher said:

I have used a lot of thread nips over the years by many manufacturers.  I prefer the ones by Gold Seal.  Can be re-sharpened a number of times and parts are available.

glenn

1st I heard of this . Was sitting at machine tonight and was going to toss snips in trash . Tried it tonight on a dull Eagle .99 cent snips . Ran the channel side of old needle back-forth over edge and they Snipping Again . learn something new everyday ....thanks

On 12/14/2020 at 9:34 AM, Joon1911 said:

Of the half dozen or so I’ve used, these made by Touro are the best that I’ve used. 

I bought mine on eBay, but this is a US source:  https://www.goldstartool.com/4-1-2-straight-ball-bearing-thread-nippers-touro-tesoura.htm  

No affiliation. 

Hey .. Thanks for the Post of the Link

I do own good gingher and mundial's sheers as well as using the cheap snips , and these are good Snip's . I bought 4 of them to check out and use, and these snips are really good quality .  ( just a heads-up ) The sale price right now probably not going on past the new year, but these snips are going for only $-9 .99 apiece . 

I do love the cheep eagle disposable snips, and I been buying them for Years, but a guy could get spoiled using good snips ....LOL . . Only 'time' will tell the true quality of the stainless blades, but they handle nice, the tooling and grind look GTG and they snip in close and tight on the smaller #69 as well as the heavier thread cord #277 and 346 .

I want to Bump Up this thread on 'snips ' .
If you do go to the goldstartool website and buy snip. ( don't mistake ) those 'GS' house branded snips, for the Touro Tesoura snips . They look the same on the webpages, same price, But they NOT even the same quality of snips ....LOL

They sell ( 2 ) brands of 4-1/2" snips . the Touro are 'GOOD' deal/good quality . Those 'GS' house branded snips are a BIG Step down below there quality . Using the two brands sideXside in the hand cutting and visually, those Touro Tesoura snips have better looking blade grind, better finish and obviously better quality control over those GS snips sold there.