BigBore

Texas Sidekick

I’ve been working on this for a while now. It’s my take on the companion holster made by other leather-smiths. In no way am I ‘knocking’ their design - mine is just slightly different and made purely from a handgun hunters viewpoint.

I call it the Texas Sidekick. It’s perfect for smaller frame handguns or those with shorter barrels. It has an attachment that keeps the holster from slipping while being worn and will pivot some, to allow either strong-side or cross-draw carry. I also added a few bullet loops to serve as extra piece-of-mind and not needing to carry extras in your pocket or pack. Lastly, the belt strap portion is ‘beefed’ up slightly compared to others I’ve seen. It really keeps the handgun solidly in place.

The holster itself is two pieces of veg-tan leather, bonded and stitched together (total of about 11-12 oz.) with the ‘rough side’ out. Really looks sharp in person!

I’ve been carrying this design all summer and have a few out to others as well. I really like it.

Thanks for letting me share.

TX SK CD.jpg

TX SK SS.jpg

TX SK.jpg

It's different and I'm not a handgun hunter, but I like it! Your craftsmanship is wonderful but the versatility of that holster is amazing! I love the idea to make it able to pivot. You're always needing different angles whether your on a 4-wheeler, SxS, horse, or walking. 

I think you knocked it out of the park!

dang i like that. its sits a bit high for my taste but who cares, I can see it definitely will work well and it looks great.

1 hour ago, ArkieNewbie said:

It's different and I'm not a handgun hunter, but I like it! Your craftsmanship is wonderful but the versatility of that holster is amazing! I love the idea to make it able to pivot. You're always needing different angles whether your on a 4-wheeler, SxS, horse, or walking. 

I think you knocked it out of the park!

Thank you very much!

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

dang i like that. its sits a bit high for my taste but who cares, I can see it definitely will work well and it looks great.

Thank you!  Definitely sits high but that is by design to allow you to get in and out of a vehicle without trying to reconfigure on the go.  I should have also pointed out the reason for a multi piece system.  The obvious is to allow you to position wherever you want on your belt without the need of multiple holsters.  But to me the biggest advantage is being able to simple remove the holster when you are back at camp, yet leave the belt portion on all day.  Makes for a really quick on/off system.  I can't tell you how many times we'll be in camp and a hunter comes in needing help trailing an animal, or just wanting to jump in a buggy/truck to go check something on the ranch.  In a literal moments notice, I can be armed and ready to walk the ranch.

30 minutes ago, BigBore said:

Thank you!  Definitely sits high but that is by design to allow you to get in and out of a vehicle without trying to reconfigure on the go.  I should have also pointed out the reason for a multi piece system.  The obvious is to allow you to position wherever you want on your belt without the need of multiple holsters.  But to me the biggest advantage is being able to simple remove the holster when you are back at camp, yet leave the belt portion on all day.  Makes for a really quick on/off system.  I can't tell you how many times we'll be in camp and a hunter comes in needing help trailing an animal, or just wanting to jump in a buggy/truck to go check something on the ranch.  In a literal moments notice, I can be armed and ready to walk the ranch.

lol really mine isn't that much lower maybe an inch. But isn't it really nice to be able to make a holster that fits your own personal needs. 

So am I understanding your design.
The holster is held in place,,,by pressure from the strap with a John Brown button, that is attached to the belt?
And, the holster can be removed by loosening the belt, and pushing the button?

have I got this correct?

Joel

That looks like a good design. For a handgun hunter, it couldn't be any more versatile. It's a good design and should be quite popular. 

5 minutes ago, GrampaJoel said:

So am I understanding your design.
The holster is held in place,,,by pressure from the strap with a John Brown button, that is attached to the belt?
And, the holster can be removed by loosening the belt, and pushing the button?

have I got this correct?

Joel

You are very close.  I should have taken pics of it detached - it would explain it very easily.  But...The round metal stud is screwed through the outer later of the holster with loc-tite and tightened securely.  Then the inner liner is bonded and stitched to the outer later.  So the holster has the stud on it.  The belt slide has a hole with slits cut into it that goes over the metal stud.  That system essentially keeps the holster from sliding down or even coming up/out when drawing the pistol.  The combination of that and the pressure between the belt slide and your belt keeps it very secure.  If this doesn't make sense, I can take additional pictures of it when I get home later.  Sorry if this is confusing but I appreciate the dialogue.  

1 minute ago, MarshalWill said:

That looks like a good design. For a handgun hunter, it couldn't be any more versatile. It's a good design and should be quite popular. 

Thank you sir.  Yes the few I've sold so far have been a really big hit.  I'm a dedicated handgun hunter and thought nothing would ever replace my chest rig in terms of personal preference, but I think this sidekick has done it.  So versatile and easy to use.  I've even tested it with my elk pack just hiking around at my deer lease and it also works well in that setting.  

50 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

But isn't it really nice to be able to make a holster that fits your own personal needs. 

Amen.  Nothing more satisfying as a craftsman than taking a 'crazy idea' and making it a functional reality.  

7 minutes ago, BigBore said:

You are very close.  I should have taken pics of it detached - it would explain it very easily.  But...The round metal stud is screwed through the outer later of the holster with loc-tite and tightened securely.  Then the inner liner is bonded and stitched to the outer later.  So the holster has the stud on it.  The belt slide has a hole with slits cut into it that goes over the metal stud.  That system essentially keeps the holster from sliding down or even coming up/out when drawing the pistol.  The combination of that and the pressure between the belt slide and your belt keeps it very secure.  If this doesn't make sense, I can take additional pictures of it when I get home later.  Sorry if this is confusing but I appreciate the dialogue.  

No need for more pictures. Thanks. I can see it now. Your explanation is prefect.

thanks

Joel

Very nice! 

Very clever, nice looking holster!

If the design has been done before, I sure have not seen it. A very WELL THOUGHT OUT, and highly functional holster.

Very nice tooling, and I think the rough out makes it pop! Most excellent Sir!:clapping:

9 hours ago, Hags said:

Very nice! 

9 hours ago, bladegrinder said:

Very clever, nice looking holster!

7 hours ago, rleather said:

If the design has been done before, I sure have not seen it. A very WELL THOUGHT OUT, and highly functional holster.

Very nice tooling, and I think the rough out makes it pop! Most excellent Sir!:clapping:

6 hours ago, Burkhardt said:

Love the color contrast.

Thank you all very much!  

That is one great looking holster. Your use of roughout and tooled leather is spot on. I may have to steal that idea for a mounting system. 

Very nicely done. 

On 9/23/2023 at 10:27 AM, akguy59 said:

That is one great looking holster. Your use of roughout and tooled leather is spot on. I may have to steal that idea for a mounting system. 

11 minutes ago, JWheeler331 said:

Very nicely done. 

Thank you both very much!

That looks great.  Very well done...!!!

6 hours ago, Outfitr said:

That is a very cool design and very well done. I really like it! May have to try and copy it.

3 hours ago, msdeluca said:

That looks great.  Very well done...!!!

Thank you both very much!

I tried a different version of that holster. Did not turn out nearly as well as yours. I really need to be taller. 

C5765455-1D43-4FDD-9893-6D69C7285207.jpeg

A tip of the hat to your out of the box design. The execution is outstanding.