YinTx

Created a wheelgun holster: Let me know what you think!

Tried my hand at a revolver holster.  Seems to fit a large N-Frame just fine.  Open to suggestions, comments, critique, etc.!

NFrame3.thumb.jpeg.da7113b5effd6f70da9542141445487a.jpeg

NFrame2.thumb.jpeg.38ff2a7cdaa641eb48ed902e134e6db0.jpeg

Looks good to me . . .  I'm just not a fan of the scucide strap . . .  much prefer putting a thumb break on a holster to help keep the weapon inside.

Wish I had the skill to do the basketweave you did . . . my basketweave looks more like a basket explosion . . . lol

May God bless,

Dwight

1 hour ago, Dwight said:

I'm just not a fan of the scucide strap

I debated leave it off.. put it on... leave it off... but in the end, I just didn't want it to bounce out.  Really interested to hear what others prefer here, so thank you for your comment.  It kinda just felt weird to not have any retention, and I've seen em without anything.  This design isn't really set up for a thumb break, but I will admit to preferring that to a strap.

Very nice work!  

That looks most excellent

I admire anyone who can master the mystery of basket weave stamping

When I saw the title of this thread 'wheelgun holster' I thought it was a holster for a 'wheel-lock' pistol

That looks great! I would have put some border grooves on the strap and end the strap about an inch past the snap.

its a wonderful job of stamping and appears to fit well. i really like the way you stamped the camo turnaround by the trigger that is a hard spot to fill and make look good. i would suggest a more finished strap to match the holster somehow, maybe to match the lower strap, it looks out of place and as bladegrinder says a bit to long after the snap. My two cents on a strap, it is dependent on the type of holster you make and the intent of usage for it. I do however feel most holsters need a strap of some sort. you can put a thumb break on that style by adding a dog ear at the top back by the fold of the loop with the male snap then sew your strap on the front of the holster or design it into the pattern.

1 minute ago, chuck123wapati said:

its a wonderful job of stamping and appears to fit well. i really like the way you stamped the camo turnaround by the trigger that is a hard spot to fill and make look good. i would suggest a more finished strap to match the holster somehow, maybe to match the lower strap, it looks out of place and as bladegrinder says a bit to long after the snap. My two cents on a strap, it is dependent on the type of holster you make and the intent of usage for it. I do however feel most holsters need a strap of some sort. you can put a thumb break on that style by adding a dog ear at the top back by the fold of the loop with the male snap then sew your strap on the front of the holster or design it into the pattern.

i meant female snap.

That is a fine holster. A skirted holster always looks good IMO. Nice, even BW and clean border stamping. The only visual thing I'd do different would be to put your border stamping around the skirt and something similar on the strap top tie it all together. You could even do the BW on the skirt but it wouldn't be worth the effort.

Here are a couple ideas to play with for your next one:

A thumb break would go nicely on one like that if you stitch or rivet it on.

7cJqAOD.jpg

Also, you could keep the skirt tighter to the shape of the holster pouch.

j29D7vp.jpg

11 hours ago, BigBore said:

Very nice work!  

thank you!

5 hours ago, Rossr said:

Looks sharp to me no shock you did clean work!   

Ross

Appreciate it!

5 hours ago, fredk said:

That looks most excellent

I admire anyone who can master the mystery of basket weave stamping

When I saw the title of this thread 'wheelgun holster' I thought it was a holster for a 'wheel-lock' pistol

If I had a puffer 300+ years old, that'd be impressive!  Serious challenge to make a holster for that too!  Thanks for the complement, also!

4 hours ago, bladegrinder said:

That looks great! I would have put some border grooves on the strap and end the strap about an inch past the snap.

seriously, why didn't I think of that!  I debated putting border stamps on it, but felt it wouldn't look right - too cramped.  But running an edge beader like I did on the band would have been perfect!  I can cut the strap shorter, went with a bit longer to accommodate gloves.  Might still go shorter tho.

2 hours ago, MarshalWill said:

The only visual thing I'd do different would be to put your border stamping around the skirt and something similar on the strap top tie it all together. You could even do the BW on the skirt but it wouldn't be worth the effort.

Here are a couple ideas to play with for your next one:

A thumb break would go nicely on one like that if you stitch or rivet it on.

I like the idea of border stamping the skirt, I'll try that on the next one.  Also really like the design on the thumb break, especially since it keeps the hardware (ie snap post/back) from ever contacting the revolver.  I've been looking for those little plastic inserts, but haven't been able to find any.  That design kills two birds with one stone!

2 hours ago, MarshalWill said:

Also, you could keep the skirt tighter to the shape of the holster pouch.

I'll look at reshaping it a bit too then.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

i would suggest a more finished strap to match the holster somehow, maybe to match the lower strap, it looks out of place and as bladegrinder says a bit to long after the snap. My two cents on a strap, it is dependent on the type of holster you make and the intent of usage for it. I do however feel most holsters need a strap of some sort. you can put a thumb break on that style by adding a dog ear at the top back by the fold of the loop with the male snap then sew your strap on the front of the holster or design it into the pattern.

Agree with you on the strap finishing.  I'll figure something out to tie it in better next go round.  Not sure I follow you on the thumb break installation?  Is it essentially the same design that MarshalWill showed?  And thanks for the comments!

51 minutes ago, YinTx said:

thank you!

Appreciate it!

If I had a puffer 300+ years old, that'd be impressive!  Serious challenge to make a holster for that too!  Thanks for the complement, also!

seriously, why didn't I think of that!  I debated putting border stamps on it, but felt it wouldn't look right - too cramped.  But running an edge beader like I did on the band would have been perfect!  I can cut the strap shorter, went with a bit longer to accommodate gloves.  Might still go shorter tho.

I like the idea of border stamping the skirt, I'll try that on the next one.  Also really like the design on the thumb break, especially since it keeps the hardware (ie snap post/back) from ever contacting the revolver.  I've been looking for those little plastic inserts, but haven't been able to find any.  That design kills two birds with one stone!

I'll look at reshaping it a bit too then.  Thanks!

Agree with you on the strap finishing.  I'll figure something out to tie it in better next go round.  Not sure I follow you on the thumb break installation?  Is it essentially the same design that MarshalWill showed?  And thanks for the comments!

the front is essentially the same except the front strap goes all the way over and the back snap is on a dog ear. that way your thumb pops the snap as its going down the correct off side of the revolver. I'll try and find a pic.

12 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

the front is essentially the same except the front strap goes all the way over and the back snap is on a dog ear. that way your thumb pops the snap as its going down the correct off side of the revolver. I'll try and find a pic.

but I will add I make them like marshalwills also, they work just fine too.

55 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

I'm going to try this on one. It leaves your thumb in a better position after separating the snap.

On 9/29/2023 at 8:44 AM, Rossr said:

Looks sharp to me no shock you did clean work!   

Ross

Hahaha. Yup Yin leather is good leather

Nice holster! I almost always use a strap and snap on my holsters. Maybe a slightly shorter length of strap from the snap to the end.....easy fix.

On 9/29/2023 at 2:27 PM, chuck123wapati said:

I'll try and find a pic.

look forward to seeing it, sometimes that is what it takes for me to grasp concepts!

23 hours ago, kiwican said:

Hahaha. Yup Yin leather is good leather

Many thanks!

4 hours ago, Outfitr said:

Nice holster! I almost always use a strap and snap on my holsters. Maybe a slightly shorter length of strap from the snap to the end.....easy fix.

Thanks, and yes, I left it a bit long knowing I could shorten it, but harder to make it longer again!

That is really nice work. Beautiful stamping, wish mine would look like that.

Beautiful work. I totally understand the debate about the strap. I'm a big fan of thumb breaks on concealed and open carry holsters. However, for carry while out in the woods camping or hunting may allow for different considerations. Thank you for posting!

On 11/11/2023 at 10:39 AM, Runamuck said:

That is really nice work. Beautiful stamping, wish mine would look like that.

I appreciate that.  Lots of wrecked leather to get decent at stamping, still not the best, but it is passable!

On 11/12/2023 at 1:07 PM, KnightLight said:

Beautiful work. I totally understand the debate about the strap. I'm a big fan of thumb breaks on concealed and open carry holsters. However, for carry while out in the woods camping or hunting may allow for different considerations. Thank you for posting!

Thank you.  Yea, this one I think would be mostly suited for ranch work, camping, hunting etc.  I've done a few more designs with the suggestions, and tried my hand at thumb breaks, but I'm not sure this style works with a thumb break very well.  Flat back and pancake holster designs seem work pretty well for thumb breaks, but I'll keep learning.

I like the strap. And I like the length past the snap for operation by old/cold fingers. And where I go the strap beats out the thumb break. Can’t remember when I needed to quick draw, but have too many times dumped a handgun without a strap bending over. 

I think you did a fantastic job. I don't have a problem with the retention strap , I  have made several holsters in the Tom Threeperson style. It was Elmer Keith's favorite, that's good enough for me.    https://images.app.goo.gl/cjWb6M19Sz69L5Pe8

I missed this back when it was posted. The toe loop and skirt is my favorite design. The strap is exactly what it ought to be for that holster, though I admit to liking Marshall Will's design.  He keeps the design and changes the functionality. A thumb snap on the inside is going to be difficult to close.

I prefer a deeper drop so my arm doesn't have to bend much to grasp the gun.  I made a couple for a Glock 21. Totally out of character for that weapon but carries very well.

Very, very nice work!

On 12/11/2023 at 8:26 PM, 327fed said:

I like the strap. And I like the length past the snap for operation by old/cold fingers. And where I go the strap beats out the thumb break. Can’t remember when I needed to quick draw, but have too many times dumped a handgun without a strap bending over. 

I did another, and shortened the strap just a bit, but wanted to be able to get a grip on it with gloves on, since this is going to a ranch hand in South Texas.  He seemed happy.  Will post a photo when I get some time on my hands, maybe next month!

On 12/11/2023 at 9:08 PM, Southerngunner said:

I think you did a fantastic job. I don't have a problem with the retention strap , I  have made several holsters in the Tom Threeperson style. It was Elmer Keith's favorite, that's good enough for me.    https://images.app.goo.gl/cjWb6M19Sz69L5Pe8

I like that style also, very simple design.  Thanks for the compliment!

On 12/12/2023 at 4:44 AM, AlZilla said:

I missed this back when it was posted. The toe loop and skirt is my favorite design. The strap is exactly what it ought to be for that holster, though I admit to liking Marshall Will's design.  He keeps the design and changes the functionality. A thumb snap on the inside is going to be difficult to close.

I prefer a deeper drop so my arm doesn't have to bend much to grasp the gun.  I made a couple for a Glock 21. Totally out of character for that weapon but carries very well.

Very, very nice work!

I think maybe these were more popular in the past.  I've altered the design a bit, and made a lined version that came out pretty well.  Haven't deciphered adding a thumb break to the inside of this design, everything I've conjured up looks a bit awkward and a bit complicated to fabricate.  I think that is more suited to a flatback or pancake style.  Would be interesting to see this for the glock!

On 9/29/2023 at 10:36 AM, YinTx said:

Open to suggestions, comments, critique, etc.!

I'm a bit late here. I used to approach basket weave with trepidation , but I am getting more confident  these days.  Great job on that. However, I have yet to master ' tri-weave'  . I should really do more projects leaving the leather natural ,  that looks great :) 

HS

On 12/17/2023 at 10:49 PM, Handstitched said:

I should really do more projects leaving the leather natural ,  that looks great :) 

Thanks, I tend to overdo the gilding on leather work, and sometimes simpler is better.  I just completed one with no stamping, no tooling, no dye work.  Huh, kinda liked it!