SUP

Pet peeves - Ugh!

@BigBore, @Hildebrand I agree absolutely about basketweave stamps. I can never get them right, so I have not yet started doing them seriously.  No matter how hard I try the 2nd stamp is always a little crooked and then what's the point?

@Hildebrand you are right that such people are fewer in this forum but they do exist, unfortunately. 

I see no reason to do basket weave. It's repetitive, it's boring, and I know I'll have trouble with keeping everything in a straight line. 

Plus, it's not creative. I much prefer figure carving. Now, THAT'S creative!

Kudos to you who like doing it and can do it well. I know it's not easy.

It would be a boring world if we all liked the same things! :yes:

Edited by Sheilajeanne

12 hours ago, SUP said:

Another pet peeve -

Ungrateful or rude people - not sure which it is. :mad: I mean people who want help with something and I share what I know and there is neither acknowledgment nor even a response about whether what I suggested worked. That is so rude. I always make it a point to respond to every comment I get, especially when I ask for help. It is basic courtesy! Are people today really so rude and uncouth? And lets not talk about 'having time'. If they have the time to talk about a problem over weeks, they have the time to respond. And it does not just happen on this forum, it seems to be everywhere.

If this has been me, and it has at times.  Maybe not to you.  At least I hope not.  I will apologize anyway.  Sometimes I forget, sometimes I get excited and worst of all, sometimes I'm too blamed "hard headed" to take good advice.  My point being, it seems to me that some people are jerks on purpose.  Others, and I include myself in this group, are jerks by accident.  Like Tom Petty said, "I can't decide which is worse."  So if I haven't irritated you yet, I'd like to bank this apology for later.  I'll also apologize for the post length and run on sentences.  JM2C, Jim

@jrdunn It's not you. I forget too sometimes but I try to keep watch on things I post and request.  If you ever forget to respond to anything I might give you information for, I'll remember your apology in advance. :) But see, if you respond, the info provider knows whether their solution works and it benefits everyone. So try, okay?  Unless you are in your 60s, consider this grandmotherly advice!

The length? Mine are longer! So no worries. 

15 hours ago, SUP said:

Unless you are in your 60s, consider this grandmotherly advice!

Yup, 60's. I blame most of my shortcomings on that now days.

Aha. Same boat then. But I refuse to think of myself as old. Just more experienced. :)

On 3/5/2024 at 7:57 PM, jrdunn said:

If this has been me, and it has at times.  Maybe not to you.  At least I hope not.  I will apologize anyway.  Sometimes I forget, sometimes I get excited and worst of all, sometimes I'm too blamed "hard headed" to take good advice.  My point being, it seems to me that some people are jerks on purpose.  Others, and I include myself in this group, are jerks by accident.  Like Tom Petty said, "I can't decide which is worse."  So if I haven't irritated you yet, I'd like to bank this apology for later.  I'll also apologize for the post length and run on sentences.  JM2C, Jim

:17:  I blame it partially on the impersonal aspect of the internet.  I know many of us like to think of posts on this site as a simple conversation between acquaintances, but without the direct face-to-face interactions it's easy to forget about the personal and just fall into treating it as a general information dump.  So I'll agree with Jim and apologize both belatedly and in advance for any unintentional insult.

/dwight

@DwightT you are right about the impersonal nature of the Internet. But see, an internet search is one thing; a specific question asked and answered becomes a  conversation. Isn't it?

@DwightT, @jrdunn You both are two of the many who do respond appropriately. The number who don't are only a few on this forum, thankfully.   Anyway, once in a while is no issue. We all get busy sometimes and miss responding. It is when something is specifically asked and specifically responded to, within a few hours  and then the asker does not say anything at all, that is what gets to me. Anyway, no sweating the small stuff. :) Like I say to all and sundry, the people here, for the most part, are wonderful and that is what I prefer to see and keep in mind.

16 hours ago, jrdunn said:

Yup, 60's. I blame most of my shortcomings on that now days.

I blame a lot on THE 60s. And the 70s are pretty fuzzy as well. :blink:

I’ve had it happen here once and a couple times on other forums. I’m not real good at typing and giving a long description on how to do something or asking someone how something was done and not getting a reply is pretty rude, in my opinion, but is is the internet so you never really know what to expect. I just kind of ignore the folks that do this and don’t ask anymore questions of them or answer any of theirs. 

Just now, Frodo said:

For some strange reason

I edited this  sentence into this box

If you wish to edit

after you have posted

click”quote”

the conversation is displayed 

move your curser into the window, edit your post then  hit post/save

My pet peeve is the T-Shirt industry has decided they no longer will install TAGS on the back of the neck on the shirt

instead some paper pushing puts stamps the shirt with ink

they must save a penny per shirt

after you wash the shirt the stamped tag starts to fade

Why does this bother me?

I am. Husband that rises in the morning and does my best not to wake my wife. She works also and goes in later than I do

with a tag you see it and slip the shirt on

without the tag, you turn the shirt over and try to find the stamp. You can not see it so you put the shirt on taking a 50/50 gamble you will have to turn it around

so to avoid this I turn on the light which wakes my love

Ya’ll if momma ain’t happy then non one in the house will be happy,  

lol.   Back to back posts

someone is peeved.   lol. 

29 minutes ago, Frodo said:

without the tag, you turn the shirt over and try to find the stamp. You can not see it so you put the shirt on taking a 50/50 gamble you will have to turn it around

so to avoid this I turn on the light which wakes my love

Put everything except your shirt on, step out of the bedroom to the bath or where ever and turn on the light there.  Sometimes I can find the shoulder seams and make a fairly good guess,  but not always!

1 hour ago, Northmount said:

Put everything except your shirt on, step out of the bedroom to the bath or where ever and turn on the light there.  Sometimes I can find the shoulder seams and make a fairly good guess,  but not always!

What?  Brite light at 4am with out a cup of coffee !!!  

I do not fully wake up till someone’s car lights flash me 

I'm still here . I am still to get a new 'pooter', still using public access pooters atm .  Its one of those 'round to it 'jobs. 

My pet peeve  in my town atm that the power keeps going off. Just a little bit of rain on the power poles and they  seem to short out  because  of the build up of dust,  , even causing pole top fires. 

HS

23 hours ago, Handstitched said:

I'm still here . I am still to get a new 'pooter', still using public access pooters atm .  Its one of those 'round to it 'jobs. 

My pet peeve  in my town atm that the power keeps going off. Just a little bit of rain on the power poles and they  seem to short out  because  of the build up of dust,  , even causing pole top fires. 

HS

I live rural, if a squirrel farts we lose power

Which brings me to a pet peeve

entergy of Ms. Pays millions every year for power line repair and tree trimming

so here it is

why don’t they bury the power line?

last year a cable co ran  fiber optic everywhere under ground.  Why in hell wasn’t the power co in that ditch with the cable co ?

from what they spend in 1 or 2 years maintaining overheads they could bury it and be done. 

Still using public access pooters gggrrrr . My ISP here in Oz, f**ked me around , changed companies, and type of service etc etc., effectively cutting off my service without telling me, I now know why my pooter won't work.  Time for a new ISP . 

HS

I'm still here, still having issues with ISP. Still  dealing with communication authorities.....gggrrr 

50 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

I'm still here, still having issues with ISP. Still  dealing with communication authorities.....gggrrr 

Starlink internet maybe a option??

kgg

11 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Stoopud teknologee! This stuff is supposed to make life EASIER.

Edited by tsunkasapa
typo

On 3/26/2024 at 12:11 PM, kgg said:

Starlink internet maybe a option??

That was a consideration, until I found out how much  it costs. Here in Oz in my patch of the universe, from $170 - 230 p/m  ...ouch!!! 

On 3/26/2024 at 11:14 PM, tsunkasapa said:

Stoopud teknologee! This stuff is supposed to make life EASIER.

My complaint that I made with telecommunications authorities has been 'moved up' the list.

Get this, here in Oz we have the NBN 'National Broadband Network', fibre optics and  wireless internet  access. Thats all well and good in the cities, but out here in the bush, its very hit and miss. A friend of mine can get access to her house via wireless, but, I can't get it at my house...and we're in the same street, go figure. :blink:

I can access Yahoo mail on my ye olde bunky 'pooter at home using 'hot spot 'on an old apple iphone,  but here on this fancy state of the art pooter  with the most up to date software( public access)  , I can't. Yahoo is supposed to send a 'verification code''  to my mobile phone, hit send......waiting waiting...nuthin. Perhaps I'm too from the US , lol.

Morse code was more reliable, and faster I'm sure LOL. 

HS

33 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

Thats all well and good in the cities, but out here in the bush, its very hit and miss.

I know what you mean when we moved from Newfoundland and at time we were rural we had fiber cable. Then we moved to Ontario to another rural area and it was like we were back in the dark ages even cell phones on the property were a hit and miss. We finally went point to point with our own dedicated connection where we do not share our bandwidth with anyone else but had to install a 100' tower. That was a chuckle and a half.

kgg

On 3/28/2024 at 11:34 AM, kgg said:

That was a chuckle and a half.

Thats how I describe  our telecommunications atm , laughable . I seem to be in a bit of a 'blackspot'. My friend can get wireless as I said , and her aunt can sort of get it on the other side of the main road,   and she's closer to the  wireless tower over looking the town, but right where I am, ...nuthing, and neither can my neighbour over the road. :ranting2:

Patience is a virtue ...and a  PITA  , lol 

HS

12 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Thats how I describe  our telecommunications atm , laughable . I seem to be in a bit of a 'blackspot'. My friend can get wireless as I said , and her aunt can sort of get it on the other side of the main road,   and she's closer to the  wireless tower over looking the town, but right where I am, ...nuthing, and neither can my neighbour over the road.

My son lives near a little town that has a cell tower on the hill above the town.  The town itself is in a dead spot, no cell coverage.  The school liked it for a few years, students couldn't use their cell phones!  Finally the staff and parents got tired of it so the school has put in a repeater.

Where he lives, he is in a valley.  Had to put a repeater and antenna on top of his 2 story house to be able to connect with one cell provider.  Others not able to connect with.  He had a buried telephone cable running past his place.  Couldn't get on it because all the pairs were already assigned.  Finally one of the phone company's techs came out and traced all the connections and found him a spare pair, so he now has a land line after several years without.  For internet service, he is on Starlink.  It works fairly well for him compared to having to use cell service with its costs and limitations.

Vehicles with both metric and SAE fasteners, plus Torx, plus Phillips screws. Have to drag the whole shop under the car to test sizes. 

As for the T shirt, they usually  have the seams closer together in the back of the neck than the front. Thats the only way I can tell without putting it on wrong.