gaseousclay

What Was Your First Leather Project?

For those of you who are beginners or even seasoned leatherworking veterans, what was your very first leather working project? Wallet? Keychain fob? Belt? Bracelet/cuff?

I'm not looking for ideas per se, i'm just curious where you started and how far you've progressed. Plus, I think it's cool to hear stories of people who have done well for themselves.

My first project was a holster for a Glock 22. I could not afford a custom made holster, so I made my own. I was then hooked with the craft...now I sell custom holsters, key chains and other leather items to support my hobby.

Very first project was a carved belt. It was not beautiful :)

I was pretty ambitious and made a cross body bag. I dived in head first, eyes closed, with my arms tied behind my back. :) :) That was in November 2012 so I have only been at this a little over a year. Now the cross body bags I make are night and day from that very first one.

I learned basic leather working back in the Summer of 82' while in Vacation Bible School. I had completely forgot all about that time. Loved it! Then one day my niece was making a bag out of duck tape from a YouTube video she was watching and I got the idea for her to make it out of leather. Working on that project with her had me hooked all over again.

Karina

Edited by veedub3

Like many kids who started in 4-H leather, my first item was a bookmark. At the time I thought it looked fine, but then what does a nine year old know. The second year in 4-H leathercraft I made this wallet for my Dad which he kept all these years and never used.

post-13007-0-61887100-1391622167_thumb.j

It received a blue ribbon at county fair and I thought it was fine. The amusing thing was when I got it back when my Dad died, the mistakes in it jumped right out at me. There were two mistakes in the lacing which I did correct, but otherwise it is just as I made it in 1966. Probably the most glaring is the omission of beveling/matting around the flowers of the cacti. And then today, I would not matt in the clouds as heavily as I did then.

Mine was a Tandy checkbook kit. I had tried a few small floral carvings from the Stohlman books my wife had, and then adapted one to fit the front of the checkbook. I still use it to this day, though I could do a LOT better now.

post-15714-0-14139600-1391629547_thumb.j

Bob

A bi-fold wallet in my crafts shop class in school. 48 years ago.

40 years ago I got out of the Marine Corps and got a job as a body guard did not have much money and needed a concealable holster so I made a Roy Baker Pancake Holster. It looked like a leather pancake with a bite out of it where the gun went in.

Mine was putting new fenders on my dad's roping saddle. The fenders were fine but the carving was terrible! He had a new saddle he had won but prefered his old one. Well after I "fixed" it he gave it to his 11 year old grandson and started using his new one. lol Troy

Holster for a G19. I'm cheap and have a strong tinker gene. I love DIY stuff. That was about 2 years ago. It's turned into a decent little side gig.

Bowman saddle and let me just say I sweat like a pig with every piece I cut. Once I started came the realization that if

I missed up it would be an expensive mistake. Took me 2 months and ended up selling the saddle at a good profit.

Switched to gun leather, quicker gratification and if I screwed up it cost less.

4H introduced me to it, though both father and mother dabbled in leathercraft many years ago i later found out. First project was the keyfob and coin purse kits from tandy.

Holster for a 6" S&W 687, couldn't afford the holster after I bought the gun so I made one.

A suit of SCA armour almost 10 yrs ago, then when restarting, harness and cuffs (adult). First sewn project was top hats.

Current working on my first project, a backpack.

Can't remember if it was the Comb kit or scout walking stick grip.about 50 yrs ago.

It was a pocket slip for a friend of mine. Wasn't terribly pretty, and a lot of glaring errors, but he was happy with it. Am beginning my third project now.

My first project was a quiver I made in a High School crafts class in 1964.

A little possibles bag which took me pretty much a whole day! Re-made the exact design recently, looking much neater and only took a couple of hours and zero sweat :D

Year 1954, my Grandfather walk me to the Tac room in the barn. Taught me how to make a strap. Beveled and coffee sun dyed.

When it was done......He Whooped me with it.....can't remember why. And that was the beginning.

This ...

post-33768-0-25226400-1396343522_thumb.j

At first I thought this was an April fools day topic - then I started following it and now i am adding to it!

My first project was a bullet holder (purse) made of scrap material I found lying around. It was made with only the bare essentials at the time - knife, sewing thread and a needle. I have always wanted to improve it.

This thread has forced me to do something about the old holder (left pic - new and the old) that has served me well for almost 20 years.

post-51328-0-51319100-1398426554_thumb.j

post-51328-0-60944400-1398426605_thumb.j

post-51328-0-95244300-1398426637_thumb.j

I got hooked on the leather biz because I needed a new belt and I couldn't find a 1 1/4 off the shelf to fit the buckle I have had for 40 years.

You are looking at a VERY expensive belt!

I have worn it every day since completed. It works! pants haven't fallen off once!

Cya!

Bob

post-47325-0-81929600-1398438096_thumb.j

Edited by BDAZ

My first leather project was sandals for Roman Soldiers, oh wait, maybe that was my 2nd or 3rd, can't remember. Actually, I made a belt at a US Army Craftshop in 1969 and have been doing leather ever since.

Cheif