Mjolnir

Show your Shop

32 minutes ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

As I looked at the first couple pictures, I was thinking "Pretty nice set-up", and then I saw your stitcher, Landis 3 or Randall?  Couldn't tell.  But super sweet!  I'm in the process of putting up some slatwall in my new shop, and am really looking forward to being ale to hang something wherever I want.  Handy stuff.

Thats a Randall and I am not sure how I lived without it before!   I mainly use it for knife sheaths.   Since I make knives.  But plenty of other things have been done on it.   Still learning how to use it but as I am sure you know those needle awl machines put down a nice stitch front and back

Edited by Rossr

4 minutes ago, Rossr said:

Still learning how to use it but as I am sure you know those needle awl machines but down a nice stitch front and back

None better, and most others don't even come close!

@Rossr do I see a wood lathe with multiple polishing and sanding wheels set up on it? great idea man, love that.

10 minutes ago, Jake907 said:

@Rossr do I see a wood lathe with multiple polishing and sanding wheels set up on it? great idea man, love that.

Jake,

If you mean the Green machine in the one pic...what that actually is...is a Landis Line finisher. They were used for shoe making  and you went from left to right to clean up the heels or soles, cut them down, sand them and then polish at the end.  Now I use it for sanding and burnishing purposes mainly.  Never made shoes and I cant say i need something that large.  But it sure can be handy.   A lathe setup as you mention would work nicely too

Rossr,

is that shop just for you?  Wow! Now that’s a workshop!

Because you have every machine you should ever need... Do you make your living from leather work? Or do you have another income?

6 hours ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

I'm in the process of putting up some slatwall in my new shop, and am really looking forward to being able to hang something wherever I want.  Handy stuff.

Sioux, I have been playing with the French cleat system at work recently. It is a really versatile way to go. And a lot less expensive than slatwall. If you haven't already purchased the slatwall check out some YouTube videos.

3 hours ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

Rossr,

is that shop just for you?  Wow! Now that’s a workshop!

Because you have every machine you should ever need... Do you make your living from leather work? Or do you have another income?

Kings,  I make custom knives and do leatherwork currently.   I have been involved with other things though too.   Even worked at a summer camp the last four years running the leather and wood shop.  Not every tool is there...I mean the clicker press isnt pictured cause its in another place.   I need a vacuum system for holsters etc.   There must be some other stuff I am missing too.. :)

1 hour ago, bikermutt07 said:

Sioux, I have been playing with the French cleat system at work recently. It is a really versatile way to go. And a lot less expensive than slatwall. If you haven't already purchased the slatwall check out some YouTube videos.

I do not know what a french cleat system is but I will second the expensiveness of slat wall.   I have it up cause I had access to a bunch of it for basically free.   Otherwise...you would see something else there...or perhaps just the studs!

Edited by Rossr

2 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

I did get the slatwall second hand from a lady who closed a retail store in town.  I also got a bunch of pegboard with the framing system and shelves, which I really like.  There is nearly enough between the slatwall and pegboard to cover all the available wall space in the building.  Of course half of one wall is taken up by shelving for leather.  I should take some pictures and share them also, but it's just such a dang mess right now! 

@Rossr, are those hot foil presses I spy?  That is a nice set up, well arranged for production it seems.

YinTx

This is a great thread! I'm in the process of setting up my shop. Love seeing everyone's machines. As far as work benches, what are the dimensions of most people's? As others stated, lower back issues keep me from bending over too much and I'm pretty tall. Would love to hear others opinions.  

7 minutes ago, BaroqueLeatherGal said:

This is a great thread! I'm in the process of setting up my shop. Love seeing everyone's machines. As far as work benches, what are the dimensions of most people's? As others stated, lower back issues keep me from bending over too much and I'm pretty tall. Would love to hear others opinions.  

My work bench is 4 x 8' and is @38" tall.

8 hours ago, Rossr said:

Kings,  I make custom knives and do leatherwork currently.   I have been involved with other things though too.   Even worked at a summer camp the last four years running the leather and wood shop.  Not every tool is there...I mean the clicker press isnt pictured cause its in another place.   I need a vacuum system for holsters etc.   There must be some other stuff I am missing too.. :)

I do not know what a french cleat system is but I will second the expensiveness of slat wall.   I have it up cause I had access to a bunch of it for basically free.   Otherwise...you would see something else there...or perhaps just the studs!

You basically rip a board down the center on a 45 degree bevel. Take one side and screw it to the studs. Take the other piece and build a shelf, rack, whatever. Then just set it on to the piece you have on the wall. It is simpler than it sounds explaining it.

5 hours ago, BaroqueLeatherGal said:

Mine is 2x6@38 tall, 2' thick. I love that I can stand or use a drafting chair. I want to add extra space and start modifying. I was thinking a 1' thick 4x8 oak plywood. Any one have a better thought?

Baroque, it's just a thought but if you need to add extra height check out the supreme benches that OldNSlow posted here, he added castors. still my favorite benches posted so far.

5 hours ago, YinTx said:

@Rossr, are those hot foil presses I spy?  That is a nice set up, well arranged for production it seems.

YinTx

@YinTx There is one in the picture. I have never used it........suppose I should.    Yes I try to set things up logical but I always seem to think there is a better way lol

@bikermutt07  Amazing those cleats hold that kinda weight with all those paint cans in the video.  Looks like a nice system.  I could see a use for that.

1 hour ago, Rossr said:

@YinTx There is one in the picture. I have never used it........suppose I should.    Yes I try to set things up logical but I always seem to think there is a better way lol

@bikermutt07  Amazing those cleats hold that kinda weight with all those paint cans in the video.  Looks like a nice system.  I could see a use for that.

Yes, it's a really simple but strong system. You can make some really long shelves with it too. The longer you make it the more studs to distribute the weight.

Thats how I hung my tvs to my wall using a french cleat

Picture a cutting board, some knives, and thread on a kitchen table, now you see my work area. when i move up stars i will post pics

You know... This topic has more than 4000 views! That’s great, But... There must be a few of you holding back on showing your work spaces?

We are not here to criticize at all. I for one love to see everyone’s work station no matter how small or untidy. I also am always looking for better, nicer tools and ideas to incorporate in my own space. 

From the selection of photos already poster you all can see that there is a wide range on work areas, So... post your photos! Be proud of your work areas, be proud of your work!  :rockon:

20 hours ago, BaroqueLeatherGal said:

Most of my tables are 4 x 8 and about belt buckle height, whatever that comes out to be.  Back when I was starting, a guy told me that was the rule of thumb for height. 

12 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Yes, it's a really simple but strong system. You can make some really long shelves with it too. The longer you make it the more studs to distribute the weight.

I can see where that would be nice for some items that you want to hang.  I have a 20' x 24' area that will be retail and finished goods for display, so I think the slatwall will work better there.  The back wall of the work area is nearly all pegboard, where I intend to hang my hardware inventory and other things, depending on how much room is available.  I hung slatwall behind and to either side of my clicker to hang my dies.  The first couple days after I got them all hung up, I had to just stop and look at them every once in awhile.  I've had a clicker for going on 15 years, and never had enough room to hang all my dies in one place.  Some would permanently end up on my tables, some in boxes under a table, some in boxes in my basement. 

My main bench is 12 feet long 36 inch wide and 38 inch high, so i can lay out a whole side to work on. I have a Smaller cutting table, that me gram gave to my grandad for there 25th anniversary in the 30's. It is 36 inch table but it is about 8 inch thick. It is a solid end cut maple top. So it is solid for pounding on. :) 

5 minutes ago, leathersmyth said:

My main bench is 12 feet long 36 inch wide and 38 inch high, so i can lay out a whole side to work on. I have a Smaller cutting table, that me gram gave to my grandad for there 25th anniversary in the 30's. It is 36 inch table but it is about 8 inch thick. It is a solid end cut maple top. So it is solid for pounding on. :) 

'Show' and tell. Pics please. I'd love to see that table. I couldn't make it out in your early photo. A lot going on in your shop:)

Edited by Mjolnir
add

Been a very long time since I last posted anything but here is a workbench I recently completed. I made it with 3/4" x 3" clear pine on edge with 3 all thread, washers and nuts through to each side to cinch it tight. Then surrounded by 3/4" x 4" red oak sides. I added a lowes vise to the front with doubled up oak and put a tool catch box on the back. I used the legs off an old computer desk and have since added pine frame on three sides as the legs allowed to much bounce. I am in the process of mounting various tools to T shaped pine that can be mounted in the vise such as stitching pony, granite stamping stone. fringe cutter, belt embosser etc. and someday a Tippman.

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

3 hours ago, Mjolnir said:

'Show' and tell. Pics please. I'd love to see that table. I couldn't make it out in your early photo. A lot going on in your shop:)

This is the one, on top of is a 24" square maple pounding block as well.   I have half doz of those 24 inch maple blocks, they are 8 " thick, maple stock....

image1.JPG

Edited by leathersmyth

1 hour ago, Jordan said:

Been a very long time since I last posted anything but here is a workbench I recently completed. I made it with 3/4" x 3" clear pine on edge with 3 all thread, washers and nuts through to each side to cinch it tight. Then surrounded by 3/4" x 4" red oak sides. I added a lowes vise to the front with doubled up oak and put a tool catch box on the back. I used the legs off an old computer desk and have since added pine frame on three sides as the legs allowed to much bounce. I am in the process of mounting various tools to T shaped pine that can be mounted in the vise such as stitching pony, granite stamping stone. fringe cutter, belt embosser etc. and someday a Tippman.

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

This folks, is sweet! Thank you for sharing Jordan. I am going to try this one.