Don Ayres

Decision time for me.

I make wallets and once the layers are stacked they add up to about 1/4", I have my eye on two machines, The Sailrite Fabricator and the Consew 206RB-5, Both are about the same price, I see advantages and disadvantages with both, Sailrite seems to have excellent customer service and lots of accessories and videos a decent 2 year limited warranty but a low resale value, the Consew seems to have less customer service and a higher resale value, and a shorter limited warranty, and believe it or not the two industrial sewing machine stores near me aren't  willing to open on a saturday so i can actually sit down and try the Consew and make a sale. They both seem to be very capable machines for my application but i honestly just dont know, any advise or help is greatly appreciated

DOE NO NUTHING bout a sailrite, but I had that Consew .. should STILL have it actually.  Good little machine, easy to use, reliable.  Since i don't have it any more, if I were to get something in that range again, I'd likely do the Cowboy 227, which is 'basically' the cylinder model of that same thing.

Buy the Consew - The Consew is a compound feed walking foot machine, and the sailrite has what's called a "jump foot" - Very different machines.

The low re-sale value on the Sailrite should tell you something ...........

I guess business must be good for your sewing machine stores. If you want/need/like a new machine, at least has a walking foot mechanism, something that will hold it's resale value and a good workhorse then I would strongly suggest looking at the Juki machines. That is not to say the Consew 206RB-5  (~1400US) or the Sailrite Fabricator (~1500US) are not good machines each have their pros, cons and limitations like every machine but the cost difference to that of a Juki and the availability of parts/accessories for me it would be the Juki. The Juki DU-1181n (walking foot ~$1400US) or even better the Juki DNU-1541s (compound feed ~$1800US). Buy once, cry once.

kgg

Thanks kgg

Sailright..the Trabant or Reliant Robin of industrial sewing machines..rattly, clanky, inaccurate, finished like a Chinese patcher...waaaay over priced.

Aimed squarely at the "yachty market " those with more money than sense.

Edited by mikesc

9 minutes ago, mikesc said:

Sailright..the Trabant or Reliant Robin of industrial sewing machines..rattly, clanky, inaccurate, finished like a Chinese patcher...waaaay over priced.

Aimed squarely at the "yachty market " those with more money than sense.

Thanks

The Sailrite will stitch closer to edge without worrying about the leather dropping  in the feed dogs slot every time the feed dogs are going down. 

Never had that happen on any machine, and I use some very thin, soft kid "glove" leather ( 0.3mm to 0.5mm ) sometimes, and close to the edges.

Hey. As someone who loves making wallets, I totally get the importance of finding the right sewing machine. So, let's talk about the Sailrite Fabricator and the Consew 206RB-5. Sailrite is pretty cool because they have awesome customer service and offer cool accessories and helpful videos. Plus, they have a decent 2-year warranty. The only downside is that their resale value isn't as high. On the other hand, Consew has a higher resale value, but their customer service might not be as great, and their warranty is shorter. If you're willing to take a chance online, you could check out some reviews and comparisons to get a better idea. Someimes, an online toss may help. Anyway, I'm a newbie on this forum, too, so I just wanted to know what decision you made eventually.

Edited by Gavinmnt

I own the Consew 206RB-5.

Great machine, have owned it about six or more years I think. Never have had a problem with it. Never needed manufacturer help.

Uses popular needles and will sew forever.

Ferg

Sailrite is a wanne-be machine. I have a 205RB3 and the folks at Consew are good to work with, even with 40 year old machines like my 227r. The 205 is a rugged machine and simple to time and maintain [OIL]. Bobbins, needles and feet are easy to find. It takes singer 111w type feet.

Buy the Consew.  Better machine.  Never been impressed with Sailrite machines.  I think they are overpriced.   I have been sewing and working on machines for over 40 years.  Consew the better machine.  Better built.  

glenn

I guess that 4 years ago the OP decided on which machine to buy,  ;)