GaryNunn

Family Sew Fs-550S Servo Motor.

To increase the friction on the bobbin winder wheel, you should be able to loosen the screws that hold your bobbin winder onto the table, and just shove the whole unit along a bit.

But if when put the spool on the winder, press the tag/lever which shoves the tongue looking thing up onto the bobbin, I take it it doesn't spring back when the bobbin is full?

Never seen a key to hold on the bobbin, must be the deluxe version. There are three screws holding your winder onto the table, loosen them, then push the whole winder into (toward) the belt a bit. Then tighten the screws. This should move the winder wheel into the belt a little further for better contact.

You're getting there; take it step by step, we're here and will leave the light on for you.

Art

To increase the friction on the bobbin winder wheel, you should be able to loosen the screws that hold your bobbin winder onto the table, and just shove the whole unit along a bit.

But if when put the spool on the winder, press the tag/lever which shoves the tongue looking thing up onto the bobbin, I take it it doesn't spring back when the bobbin is full?

Never seen a key to hold on the bobbin, must be the deluxe version. There are three screws holding your winder onto the table, loosen them, then push the whole winder into (toward) the belt a bit. Then tighten the screws. This should move the winder wheel into the belt a little further for better contact.

You're getting there; take it step by step, we're here and will leave the light on for you.

Art

I did guys. I've gotten in pushed up as far as I can get it. As a matter of fact the belt still touches it (barely) when its I pushed forward... Still didn't kick back properly. Argh... Thx for sticking it out with me guys... I'm gonna keep fooling around with it. I'm ready to start threading the machine and actually sewing lol.

You're nearly at the fun part now.

Hang on in there.

Art

You're nearly at the fun part now.

Hang on in there.

Thanks a lot yal. Really appreciate the encouragement. I get frazzled easily when I feel like I can't figure out something basic. I fooled around with it a fews more hours last night and still didn't get anywhere (with it kicking off), but Im thinking that since i at least have it filling the bobbin I should just move on to threading the machine…

Im gonna do that after work and hopefully that will be problem free! Quick question though, how do you guys gauge when the bobbin is about to run out?? To catch it before it does?
PS: I tried lifting up the machine to get the plate on and almost lost my fingers. I lost my hinges in transport so i can't lean the machine back… Even when the hinges were on there I couldn't lean the machine head back it was way too heavy. A member sent me a link to a new plate, but with those springs on the back I'm gonna have the same problem Im having now, this thing just doesn't fit, I need just a flat piece to easily slide in and out of there, so Im gonna look for one.
Thanks again ;)

It is great to see all of the help and encouragement from all of the members to help get these problems solved

Great community here

It is great to see all of the help and encouragement from all of the members to help get these problems solved

Great community here

Yes i totally agree. Im very appreciative I would have been lost in the sauce without all of there help!

GUESS WHO JUST MADE HER FIRST STITCH!!!! Victory!!!!!!! Thank you all so much!!! I have to work on putting the bobbin casing in correctly. For a while I could t figure out why it wasn't catching the thread lol.

So now I think I need a new thread stand. The spool does not spin freely, which makes the machine make this struggling noise as to say "hey I can't pull thread off of here" plus I can't seem to adjust the height which is a problem because I'm in the attic - weird ceilings. Also, I think my take up lever really struggles to take up. Makes loud noise when I try to use it I'm not sure if it's because I have the head placed in a weird spot or what...

Lastly. The bobbin wonder kicked back! I wasn't letting it get far enough to do so. Who'd a thunk?

post-63176-0-58578000-1447980740_thumb.j

I'm glad to hear ur making some stitches.The spool isn't supposed to spin.You are supposed to pull the thread off the top of the spool so it doesn't have any drag.

post-7185-0-98695300-1448025990_thumb.jp

post-7185-0-78282700-1448026081_thumb.jp

Edited by CowboyBob

Make sure the thread guide on the spool stand is directly above the spool. This should allow the thread to come off the spool evenly.

I look forward to seeing your first project.

I'm glad to hear ur making some stitches.The spool isn't supposed to spin.You are supposed to pull the thread off the top of the spool so it doesn't have any drag.

Make sure the thread guide on the spool stand is directly above the spool. This should allow the thread to come off the spool evenly.

I look forward to seeing your first project.

Another member also sent me a link, oh as this thread spool ALL WRONG LOL. I'm still gonna buy a new one though, the original is missing some parts, including the piece at the very top to stick the thread through... Thx you guys!

post-63176-0-83313800-1448132839_thumb.j

Ok yal. This is a tension issue, right?? Could this be related to my lack of a thread stand? Right now I'm pretty much taking the thread off the spool myself...

Lastly. How long does it take for the oil to drain from the machine? Every time I sew on my little test piece of leather the foot leaves oil on the material...

post-63176-0-65518700-1448133034_thumb.j

You might have it threaded wrong or else the TOP tension is to loose.You need to wipe off the foot & foot bar b4 u start sewing

w/a paper towel after oiling.It's best to leave something under the foot to catch the oil.It will stop soon.

I assume that is the bottom side you are showing. Loops on the bottom mean not enough tension on the top. You need to adjust the tension so the knot is pulled into the middle of the leather. If it is coming through to the top side, yo have too much top tension. If it is on the bottom side, there is not enough top tension. There are many posts here about how to set the tension. Do a search and read them.

Proper threading of the machine makes a huge difference. Make sure it is threaded correctly. That includes how the thread comes off the top of the spool. Any binding as the thread comes off the spool increases the top tension. So until you get the thread stand issue fixed, you won't be fully successful at setting the tension.

You can re-arrange the thread stand you have to place the spool platform much lower near the table. Then take a coat hanger and fashion it to fit the pole and form an eye directly over the centre of the spool.

Tom

Just curious, that thread stand, is there a hole through the center of the spool tray? Like could the tread pass up the outside of the spool and then down through the center? This method is used rarely. That pipe thing sticking up in the center made me think of this. Not that i am advising to run it this way, just a curious mind at work.

Edited by TinkerTailor

Great I will look at those other threads regarding tension. Thanks! Thx Bob, it's time for me to re oil the machine anyway, but I will take that advice to keep it from staining my leather...

Hey tinker, I think there is a hole there! But. I just broke my bobbin casing trying to get the dang thing out. My only one.

Now I know my needle position needs to be all the way up to make the bobbin come out easier. Spent a half hour trying to get the thing off... Broke the lever right off. Lesson learned.

So since I have to buy a new bobbin casing Ill get th thread stand too.

Also gonna get a new belt - again. I noticed the original has a v shape protruding from the back, the belt I have now is rather flat. I've had a several instances where I press the pedal and the motor pulley is spinning, but it won't "go". I have to spin the handwheel myself to get it going then the pedal takes over. I've concluded its because I don't have anything in the groove of the 2 pulleys to really keep contact... Thx yal

I can't stop from reading every new post on this thread. It's like if it can go wrong--it will. I can visualize working with an industrial machine and never having any instruction, or hands-on trial. Because I did. Now I realize how important it was to get some education (this forum) or buying from a dealer at a trade show. My first machine was a JUKI-562 with damaged hook. Bought it cheap, then I found out the cost to repair the hook. The next machine was bought at the Pendelton Leather Show (FERDCO 1245, a Pfaff clone) and I bought the machine I was instructed on and I hasn't skipped a stitch in 5-years.

Bob Stelmack

Holly Hijack Batman!!! lol!!!!

Going back to the OP, can those with the servo replacement issue pm me with the vendor. I am actually buying one of those and dont want to get it from someone that will not support it. Any piece of equipment can fail at any time and not be fault of the user so I want some piece of mind when I get mine.

Thanks!

I gave you guys a long enough break I hope! Can u believe I've been waiting on parts this whole time? Long story short, don't ship USPS TIL next year.

Anyway, quick question. Got my thread stand, all set up. But if u look at the photo, is that long piece of thread suppose to hang off my first stitch?? (This is the top side), bottom looks ok. But when I snip that long thread and give it a slight pull, in undoes the first stitch which I'm sure isn't right. I'm thinking I've threaded it wrong or its not catching the bobbin correctly, but I've redone all that the past 3 days and nothing, so I'm asking.

Have I been overthinking this (again) and everything is fine?

Thanks everyone

post-63176-0-73189200-1449882747_thumb.j

I don't think you have the tensions set right on your machine. I see a lot of knots pulling to the top, and a lot of loose top threads.

Even if the machine is set correctly, and you go pulling on thread ends that are not lock stitched in, they will the knots loose.

I don't think you have the tensions set right on your machine. I see a lot of knots pulling to the top, and a lot of loose top threads.

Even if the machine is set correctly, and you go pulling on thread ends that are not lock stitched in, they will the knots loose.

To be honest I don't think the tension is set correctly either lol. I still have a lot of play between my tension disks, even when my presser foot is down, and the knob is turned as tight as it will go. I'm still trying to figure that out. Did some back tacking as suggested, stitches are much better but still came out after a strong tug. Left me with just holes in the material and no stitches

post-63176-0-88803500-1449890644_thumb.j