JKHelms

Just a little heads up...

Fiebings black dye makes a hell of a mess when you shake the bottle and the lid is not tight!!!

that is all :(

:17:

Some days are like this.  Here's to hoping it wasn't a 1 gallon container...

YinTx

Funny enough, I've just had a large bottle of dye delivered today.   Unfortunately, it wasn't boxed, but just bubble wrapped, and the top was broken off due to being dropped somewhere between the supplier, and my humble abode.

Interesting mess.

8 minutes ago, YinTx said:

:17:

Some days are like this.  Here's to hoping it wasn't a 1 gallon container...

YinTx

Nope. Just a quart. Lol

2 hours ago, JKHelms said:

Nope. Just a quart. Lol

Ouch, that's almost as bad.  You have my sympathies!

YinTx

....having the lid come off a gallon of contact cement while you are vigorously shaking it makes for an 'interesting' clean up. One of those working too late at night moments.

1 hour ago, Sonydaze said:

....having the lid come off a gallon of contact cement while you are vigorously shaking it makes for an 'interesting' clean up. One of those working too late at night moments.

1 hour ago, Sonydaze said:

That's for sure

I picked up a bottle of black paint to move it, top not screwed down and flung it over the bench. Aaaaaargh, screw the top on dummy.

While I don't have a leather related liquid disaster to share, I do feel you pain.  Once, when deciding to do a little touch up painting on a car, I filled an 8oz styrofoam cup up with some lacquer paint.  Did you know that lacquer paint will eat through styrofoam in a matter of seconds?  :rolleyes: 

1 hour ago, TonyRV2 said:

While I don't have a leather related liquid disaster to share, I do feel you pain.  Once, when deciding to do a little touch up painting on a car, I filled an 8oz styrofoam cup up with some lacquer paint.  Did you know that lacquer paint will eat through styrofoam in a matter of seconds?  :rolleyes: 

Hahahaha!!!

I dumped a small bottle of purple one day. My vinyl plank floor passed the test though. A little denatured alcohol and a rag had it cleaned up in no time.

Only liquid accident that i have bern around that was "bad" was helping dad rebuild an all wood chris craft 24 foot boat. The old man mixed then used the wrong epoxy..used cold weather epoxy in the middle of a Georgia summer...instead of the warm weather mix...nearly set the boat on fire...always remember to read labels!!!!

My black Fiebings story left footprints down the hall and into the living room.  My cat decided to walk across my work table and stepped right into the dye cup I was using. He then spilled it and got another paw soaked too. LOL ... fun memories.

I put down a cut open trashbag all round my work area before dying, and that is a tremendous help.  It is worth noting, however, that after a spill the plastic must be gathered very carefully from all sides before picking it up for disposal.  It is also worth noting that rubbing alcohol will do a fairly good job at removing dye from a finished wooden floor, and that a product called Dye Gone II is very effective at turning hands from a lovely saddle tan back to their original color.  Also noteworthy, aforesaid DYE Gone II will only partially remove dye from blue jeans.

Bill

Edited by billybopp

If you knock a quart of black off the bench onto concrete floor, that plastic cap can shatter, blowing the top right off, and 'customizing" a white cinder block wall.  So I hear :whistle:

Note:  Also a bad idea to use an empty quik trip coffee cup to put oil in your dump truck.  I mean, seriously -- don't do that. :rofl:

I dropped a quart bottle of Fiebings  black on the concrete floor once, and it landed square on the bottom of the bottle. The black dye exploded out like a volcano, shooting a heavy stream of black die. I was mad I dropped it, mad I lost 15$ worth of dye, and mad that I knew better than to wear my new shoes to work in the shop.

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:52 PM, TonyRV2 said:

I learned that one the hard way. Also, lacquer paint will eat the coating out of the paint cans you buy at lowes/homedepot leaving a whole bunch of little enamel flakes in your lacquer.

That's it! I'm only buying pre-dyed leather from now on!

All I can say is a $xxx.xx smart phone don't like USMC black either specially in quart size splashes sheew! We all have window licking, paste eating helmet wearing moments...oh and the red crayons are ma favorite!!!

When I first started I shunned gloves thinking they were sissy and a little dye never hurt nobody. Que a black dye job... I was using sponges n paper towels ect and literally dyed my hands black... Both palms jet black. I used a pint of acetone and nail polish remover (my wife's nail polish remover just to clarify) and still had gray hands for two weeks haha. 

I now praise gloves... 

I too shunned gloves at first. The folks at work all started telling me they knew when I was doing leather work by my hands. I now keep a box of nitrile gloves on the bench.

31 minutes ago, Colt W Knight said:

I too shunned gloves at first. The folks at work all started telling me they knew when I was doing leather work by my hands. I now keep a box of nitrile gloves on the bench.

Indeed... I still manage to get my hands dyed some color here and there but not to the extent I did that day.