Well, it's been a while, but here is probably the last bit of work I'll  get myself involved with . A holster for a Colt Commander (as you can see, after I get it cleaned up & back together) and  a  sort  of  matching sheath for a little "Beretta" issued toad sticker.  My hands are not as strong as they once were, my eyes or not NEAR as good as I want. On top of that I have gone from a comfy 40" trousers to now (in almost a moth) a 34" pair of (a little loose) cutoff Levi's. (After all I live in the desert and it hasn't been under 100 degrees for the last 3 weeks). --- a slimmer and more dapper self I guess.

Did this job for a close friend after my last go-round with the hospital staff a couple of weeks ago. A note you all -- nowhere does the nursing staff actually care a damned bit for their charges. It's a fact. At about 1:00am EVERY DAMNED NIGHT they change shift, and it seems that they always decide to have some sort of shindig. Loud talking, giggling and screams of laughter abound UNTIL someone (myself) hauls his butt out of bed, grab the damned wheeled goody with a bottle (of who knows what) hanging off of it (complete with a tube that's stuck in my damned arm) wearing a gizmo with my bare ass, hanging out, and wander out into the hall and over to the nurse's station. Unseen!, I might add. Then in a loud voice ask where the hell the music is, who's dancing, and who the hell is ordering Pizza, because, if you all are going to have a damned party I want to be part of it. That seems to shut things down some.

000_0126com holster.jpg

000_0129 comander.jpg

Edited by katsass

Mike, it pains me to read this, but it seems your spirits are high and thats good.  Please stay active on the forum at least, and know that you have had a profound impact on my leatherwork career.  BTW, there's nothing wrong with those items there.  You still got it!

Sorry to hear you're not doing so well. Absolutely stunning finish on those items.

I bet you have inspired many people, because your qualities and ability shines through.

Your abilities are a beautiful art for sure. You still have it in there and it is easily seen. Your knowledge of the leather world is something we hope we don't lose here!

Keep up your fight! 

Former nurse here - the worst time for a patient to need something is change of shift. The outgoing staff are busy charting everything they did on their shift, and can't wait to bugger off and go home, and the incoming staff are taking report in the lounge, and you could be swinging from the rafters or dancing in the hallway, and they'd never know it!

But they SHOULD try to keep noise to a minimum, and be considerate of patients while they are doing all this. Can't blame you for being P.O.'ed!

Looks to me like you're still capable of some pretty fine work.  I would like to someday get that good.

I agree.  the hospital is one of the very worst places to try to get a decent night's sleep.  They apparently don't recognize the value of sleep in healing.

Mike,

I need to ask, how is MA KAT?

Sure have missed you and your fine work in leather.

I will be 85 this coming January. Most things work except for my confounded knees. Wife doesn't even bother to say anything

any more when I complain. She knows I am not going to get them operated on.

Name Puzzles are still being made and sold by the thousands, Maybe one or at most two more years.

I am writing a book about my years in the NAVY. Now that is work!!!

Take care, my Friend.

Ferg

Hey, Mike, . . . we missed you my friend, . . . 

VERY glad to see you back on the keyboard and the leather working table.

If I said you were instrumental in enhancing my love of leather working, . . . I would be just scratching the surface. 

You have been a tremendous example to all of us here, . . . along with Lobo, . . . and a few others.

Keep up the good work, . . . and don't let that be your last one, . . . the folks down at Mop & Glo are depending on you to keep them in business.   :lol:

May God bless,

Dwight

Keep up the good work and thank you many times over for your sharing here.  I am a relative newby to the holster world.  This forum and your posts in particular have helped me more than I can relate.  I am still on my journey of reading all of pages in this sub forum( I have about 50 pages left) and the information I have found is priceless.

Todd

Glad to see your work back on here.  Like the other's you have taught me a lot, and I love seeing your work! Don't be a stranger on here.

Thanks to all of you for the kind words. I may have given some a wrong impression, I'm not about to kick off --- just that my hands and eyes will not allow me to do the work I feel I should be able to accomplish.  For example, I made two 'false starts' on the damned holster and tossed three partially finished but totally screwed up knife sheaths in order to get to the finished product you see. I have however, seen the inside of the ER room and a patient's room at the local hospital more than I like, BUT I'm still kicking and I don't get the impression that the medical community wishes me to visit again soon.

Well THAT'S a huge relief.  Still, if you can make stuff even after a couple of tries, its better than not making stuff!

11 hours ago, katsass said:

For example, I made two 'false starts' on the damned holster and tossed three partially finished but totally screwed up knife sheaths in order to get to the finished product you see.

Sheeeoooot.  I thought that was the way it was supposed to be!  Why just this last month, I've scrapped two ladies long wallets made from Barenia and Chevre Chagrin leather because I wasn't happy with some part of it, and I haven't finished the third one yet to decide if it is good or not!  Used up the entire side of Chevre Chagrin to get there, and I've been doing this for a few years at least!

Always have loved seeing your work, look forward to seeing your comments on other's works and general inputs in the near future, make a thing or two that you have always wanted to but haven't taken the time or had a request for!  Then it won't matter when it is done, or how great it looks... but that you enjoyed doing it!

and yeah, hospital stays suck, I try to avoid em at all costs... even left at 3am once just cuz I couldn't take it no more!

YinTx

Hi katsass, I'm a real newbie here, having 'unlurked' only a few weeks ago. I've however sat in the shadows and observed for quite some time, and have grown to admire your work and your style of interacting here. Although I'm not into holsters I can admire a well made piece, and you have posted plenty.

If this is your last one, would you mind sharing with us how you did your first? And any memorable items between the first and the last? How did the art and craft evolve in the years you worked with leather?

Again, thank you for your wonderful contribution to keep the craftsmanship in the craft.

I have been wondering what happened to Katsass. Good to see that you are still getting after it!

I retired in 2015 and sold Lobo Gun Leather to a great family of leather crafters. I'm happy to report that they continue to do very well with the brand and my designs and production methods. At the time I was dealing with the effects of osteoarthritis, old spinal fracture, neuropathy, and just general "getting old" stuff. I knew it was time to stop working 7 days per week, especially doing work that can be very tough on the hands and forearms. I very happily gave the new business owners a ten-year non-compete agreement as part of the sale agreement! Now I am a 'consultant', always ready to lend my 'expert opinion and advice' on every aspect of the business. As a consultant I have had to start dressing better than I did while working in the leather shop, and I shave at least every week or so, so I can still feel important and useful!

New owners recently moved the business from Iowa to northern Minnesota. I took the opportunity to travel there as they were getting all set up, rented a houseboat on a 22 mile long lake, did some fishing, ate like a hog, and enjoyed fermented malt adult beverages to my heart's content (doesn't take nearly as much to make me content anymore, I just tend to doze off for a couple of hours before checking my fishing line and throwing a little more meat on the grill). Read several excellent books, too.

Stay active! Stay involved! Stay healthy! Enjoy life!

Best regards.

Edited by Lobo

You've always been an inspiration as well as many others in this forum. I'm not very active here or any other forums but sure love looking at all this beautiful art people like you create and inspire others to do so. I'm still an amateur compared to a lot of others here but sure studied and try to get better every time a make something. Best regards and keep the inspiration going Sir .

Beautiful work from a M&G convert!

And I always enjoy seeing the holster and the weapon but especially when the weapon is stripped down!!! nice twist.

Take care and stay around.

I don't know you, although I have seen your name mentioned in dispatches, so to speak ;). Even though you may not be able to make stuff like you used to I'm sure that many here would appreciate your continued input as you obviously have a wealth of knowledge and experience that it would be a shame to waste.

I'm with dikman, my friend, . . . love to see at least a "Howdy" every week or so, . . . chime in and pour decades of information on us, . . . and don't be afraid to whale on us.

You could also make up a picture gallery of 30 or 40 of your best ones, . . . give the newbies a goal to shoot for.

Don't forget to remind them about Mop & Glo, . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight