YinTx

Sheridan Carved cell phone slip case

This is like the 3rd version or so of a Sheridan style drawing that I have done on my own, with lots of input from folks on this site like @Wykoni, @immiketoo, @JLSleather, @Stetson912 and others.  This is the first one I have not put in the scrap bin, and actually antiqued and stitched up.  Still not happy with it, lots of things I see to improve, but useable.  I think the tooled version with an initial on it is better, and will post a pic when it is done.  Just wanted to show it here, and say thanks to all that helped me out along the way.  

PhoneCaseSheridan1LoRes.thumb.jpeg.a26b2df0cb0cbdb3ee6f06a2074d0cd2.jpeg

YinTx

Very sharp!  I like it!

Beautiful

Well done!!

Looks pretty darned good to me.

- Bill

Hey Yin,

That one is for sure usable. looking good.

1 hour ago, Jack1970 said:

Very sharp!  I like it!

1 hour ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

Beautiful

27 minutes ago, JD62 said:

Well done!!

16 minutes ago, billybopp said:

Looks pretty darned good to me.

- Bill

Wow, didn't expect all that!  Many thanks.  I know it isn't the best, but for a guy that couldn't draw stick figures, I'm doin ok with it.  Many things aren't right, like the stubby leaves,  which I fixed on the next version.  I was just happy I could draw something to fit a shape I needed!

YinTx

5 minutes ago, cardinal leather said:

Hey Yin,

That one is for sure usable. looking good.

Thanks, Cardinal!  I'll carry it tomorrow, see if it gets any comments....

YinTx

Looks a lot better. Tooling looks cleaner and smoother.all I see is a few spots where there should be backgrounding in my opinion. Just below the tip on the big scroll at the top and below the scroll in the bottom left. But I'm really not picking haha. I couldn't do any better lol

This. Is. Awe inspiring! Beautiful. Where do you keep your scrap bin? If stuff close to this is going into the bin, I think I'm going to come raid it... Well done!

After seeing stuff like this, I think I'm never going to pick up a maul again... :unsure:

I envy your beveling work on the florals andit looks sharp over all. Would love to see more picks showing how it works with the phone etc.

Yin, that looks pretty terrific man! Well done. I haven't made it even close to that and I need to throw some time at it, time I don't have lately.

18 hours ago, Riem said:

This. Is. Awe inspiring! Beautiful. Where do you keep your scrap bin? If stuff close to this is going into the bin, I think I'm going to come raid it... Well done!

After seeing stuff like this, I think I'm never going to pick up a maul again... :unsure:

Heh, I have scrap all over the place, almost embarrassing how much leather I have wrecked.  Couple of tubs in the closet, few boxes in the craft room, few bags next to the work bench, pieces piled on the work bench... kinda not the guy to be inspired by lol.  I keep wondering what I a going to do with it all... maybe if I learn to do embossing I'll have a supply for leather powder?  I am glad you like this piece, tho...

14 hours ago, immiketoo said:

Thats coming along nicely!

Thanks!  Things improved a bit thanks to help from you and others...:cheers:

9 hours ago, plinkercases said:

I envy your beveling work on the florals andit looks sharp over all. Would love to see more picks showing how it works with the phone etc.

Thanks, plinkercases.  Beveling is one of the things I am trying to get smoothed out so the piece has better flow.  Hard to take a pic with my phone when it is in the sleeve, sorry.  But it works pretty simple, just slide the phone between the two pieces!  If I can, I'll get someone to take a pic with their phone...

7 hours ago, battlemunky said:

Yin, that looks pretty terrific man! Well done. I haven't made it even close to that and I need to throw some time at it, time I don't have lately.

Awesome, thanks!  And you have hit the nail on the head, it is all about putting time towards it.  Wish I could put more time at it, but I do what I can when I can, usually late in the evenings, when I'm all tired out and mistakes don't matter so much because it is practice...

YinTx

That looks awesome. Stitches look about perfect, not to mention that burnish.

Everyone can see the flaws in their own work. It’s hard not to point them out to other people when they tell you how good it is. It’s a hurdle that we all probably have problems with. But your case is lovely, and you deserve the kudos.

Yin, it is simply beautiful.  I don't see a thing wrong with it.  

You will have to make some mistakes someone can see with the naked eye before we will let you kick yourself around on here.  Well done.

Cheers to you!

Scott

14 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

That looks awesome. Stitches look about perfect, not to mention that burnish.

Thanks, Bikermutt!

12 hours ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

Everyone can see the flaws in their own work. It’s hard not to point them out to other people when they tell you how good it is. It’s a hurdle that we all probably have problems with. But your case is lovely, and you deserve the kudos.

True, we always see our own flaws, I'm practicing not pointing them out right away.  I've started handing my work to others and saying "hey, tell me where I messed up."  If they find it, bin.  If they don't, then I show it to them and see if they think it is bad enough for the bin.  Thats how this one made it to completion. :)  And thanks for the kudos.

12 hours ago, Firewalker said:

Yin, it is simply beautiful.  I don't see a thing wrong with it.  

You will have to make some mistakes someone can see with the naked eye before we will let you kick yourself around on here.  Well done.

Cheers to you!

Scott

Thanks, glad you like it!  BTW, camera work helps hide flaws. :)  I'll put up the newer improved version when I finish, and reserve the kicking for others.  :blink:

YinTx

Make sure the people checking for flaws aren't in the family. Your family probably already knows what to look for.;)

Try people at the coffee shop or whatnot. See what the general populace thinks about your work. I'm sure they will be impressed.

25 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

See what the general populace thinks about your work.

Lol.  I did this once, showed someone my work after they asked what I did for a living.  I said, "Oh, I sell leatherwork."  After I showed it to them, they wanted to know where I bought it from and where I sell it at.... I was like :blink:  :o :head_hurts_kr:

me:  Yeah, no I MAKE it.

them:  Really, where do you get it?

me:  starts as a cow hide....

Another person said "Wow, that almost looks like a professional made it..."

I haven't shown much of my tooling outside of the family yet, a few images of pieces have been about like on the dopp kit, the eagle, and the IPad cover.  Mostly mild but positive reception I'd say.  Hasn't garnered much request or orders, so I take that as a need to keep improving...most of my (not tooled) items that I do complete and show, folks really like.  After they learn I can't make them one for $20, the interest kinda dwindles...

YinTx

I have to say that your decorative cuts are looking better too!:yes:

On 8/25/2018 at 8:51 PM, YinTx said:

This is like the 3rd version or so of a Sheridan style drawing that I have done on my own, with lots of input from folks on this site like @Wykoni, @immiketoo, @JLSleather, @Stetson912 and others.  This is the first one I have not put in the scrap bin, and actually antiqued and stitched up.  Still not happy with it, lots of things I see to improve, but useable.  I think the tooled version with an initial on it is better, and will post a pic when it is done.  Just wanted to show it here, and say thanks to all that helped me out along the way.  

PhoneCaseSheridan1LoRes.thumb.jpeg.a26b2df0cb0cbdb3ee6f06a2074d0cd2.jpeg

YinTx

YinTx  I like it...been practicing those circles.  Looks really good.  Like I said before your a natural. Hope to see much much more.  As to what you see, you will always see that.  Good luck my friend.

Very nice work on the tooling and the stitching.  

On 8/31/2018 at 6:54 PM, Scoutmom103 said:

Very nice work on the tooling and the stitching.  

Thank you Scoutmom!  I have another version of this I am trying to finish... but having a challenge matching the dye for the back....usually do dye work at the same time, but wasn't able to this go around (some match up issues).  Inability to match colors is why I always try to do colors at once, instead of weeks later!

YinTx

Your carving has improved greatly in a short amount of time.