Mjolnir

Show your Shop

On December 3rd, if there are no last minute hitches, I will take possession of a new house. The former owner was a very crafty lady, and did sewing, stained glass and pottery. There is an entire room in the basement that was devoted to sewing, and this is going to be my new leather working room! Here's some pics:

Okay, need to resize them so I can post more than one at a time! This is the right side of the room.

IMG_2408.JPG

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Left side of craft room

Cupboard at one end of craft room 

IMG_2407.JPG

IMG_2409.JPG

The purple room is the basement bedroom just across from the craft room. I could shoot the person who put the shelves up BEFORE finishing the wall. Yes, they are VERY firmly attached to the wall with many screws!

The room with the red door at the end is another room adjacent to the bedrooms and the craft room. The red door at the end is the entrance to a cold cellar.

In addition to this, there is another unfinished room on the other side of the basement that is completely lined with shelves!!  Also, one half of the garage has been turned into a heated, insulated area where the previous owner had her pottery kiln. I imagine working with clay creates too much dust for it to be done inside the house. Even the smoke alarm in that room is protected by a dust cover!

IMG_2410.JPG

IMG_2411.JPG

IMG_2412.JPG

Well I am trying not to be jealous.

I am lucky to have a converted single garage but its my workshop / office, and I run two businesses, so storage is tight, but now I want to move to somewhere with more space.

Looks like I failed the jealousy stakes.

It looks great, and I hope the move goes well.

Harry

1 hour ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Okay, need to resize them so I can post more than one at a time! This is the right side of the room.

excellent spaces.... where will you put your scissors?...Oh I see!

50 minutes ago, plinkercases said:

excellent spaces.... where will you put your scissors?...Oh I see!

:lol:  And in case you've forgotten, here is my current tiny, perfect work station! It shares the room with my desk, a file cabinet, washer, dryer, large dog crate, a large library of books and my Seiko sewing machine!

work space.jpg

You are making a truly quantum leap in space...wow!

Congratulations Sheila!  I think you will be very happy working in this great space!

Gary

Talk about up-scaling your work space and storage.  Congrats on the new play space.  I am a wee bit jealous as well.

Sheila,

What a great space. Now I'm jealous, my little shop will be full and you will still have space to turn around and acquire more leather goods.

In my younger days studying agriculture, I learned that Nature abhors a vacuum.   And that, my friend, is a vacuum.  Best secure the bank account and credit cards, stay away from leather goods sales and tools... and desks... and tables... and machines....it will be filled. :)

Fantastic work space for sure, all it needs is a lot of light!  and all the aforementioned items....

YinTx

9 hours ago, YinTx said:

In my younger days studying agriculture, I learned that Nature abhors a vacuum.   And that, my friend, is a vacuum.  Best secure the bank account and credit cards, stay away from leather goods sales and tools... and desks... and tables... and machines....it will be filled. :)

Fantastic work space for sure, all it needs is a lot of light!  and all the aforementioned items....

YinTx

Yin Tix, that's something that worries me, too! The former owner passed away at age 96. A friend of mine lives across the road from her, and tells me her children filled 4 dumpsters with her stuff when cleaning her house out. This doesn't count the stuff they sold at two yard sales, or took home with them!

I don't want to leave that sort of problem for MY executors!

Edited by Sheilajeanne

JANE,

Congratulations on your new digs. I have "stuff" in a shed that was to house only my glass business to begin with. Now it includes some of my sublimation equipment plus leather equipment.

You have seen my "Leather Room". That will give you an idea what the room in the shed looks like. LOL

Ferg

Thanks, Ferg. Hey, your leather room had a lot of machines in it,  but you could get around and it was well organized!

You know my biggest problem right now? This century home is so small, I am running out of places to put the moving boxes! I don't want to start putting them in the basement because the stairs are so hard to negotiate (narrow, uneven, and you have to duck your head.) The garage isn't safe either as water leaks under the foundation on the west side, and the only upstairs to the house are the two bedrooms and 'powder room', which are already chock a block with furniture! Century homes had REALLY small bedrooms, and no closet space, so by the time you put a bed, a dresser, night table AND a wardrobe on the room, there's hardly any space left!

Well, the old place needs some work done before it goes on the market, so I can get it cleaned out at my leisure. It will be more marketable with some of the furniture gone.

@sheilajeanne I'm just gon'a say it I'm jealous! drool.gif.77403f026af5d7497bc30e304b26507e.gif 

Why not make this my 1st post.

I started working with leather in August of 2018 and became totally obsessed.  I was working out of my Garage, but its now just too cold living in Eastern Canada.

Decided to move into the house.  I have a good space that I was able to make into a new little shop for myself.

The bench is made of 2 2ft x 4ft benches attached together.  I overbuilt these but I wanted something sturdy.  There is a 1/2 inch sheet of plywood for the top, with a 1inch sheet of MDF under it to make a strong base layer.

I added a single 2x4ft pegboard. I left the option of adding more to it if needed. 

What stamps I have are just set up with a 30 inch strip of 2x6. 

Total cost including screws was approx $100. CAD.  

PANO_20190114_184212.vr.jpg

Ouird,

Nice little set up and welcome from another Canuck.

Looking forward to seeing what your obsession has produced other than receipts for all the stuff the obsession needs!

@Ouird Love your lighting solution on bench. As far as your taxidermy mount on wall... It's easiest to hunt those in the rain.

I had a century old house in Michigan, I feel your pain. It did have an enormous cistern under the basement though, I thought that was cool. The lathe and plaster thing was a drag for upgrades, though.

Jeff

On 1/14/2019 at 8:47 PM, DV8DUG said:

@Ouird Love your lighting solution on bench. As far as your taxidermy mount on wall... It's easiest to hunt those in the rain.

Thank you!

It's a bit of a "warm up" to potentially having one of my own in the house.  

The "if needed" on the pegboard is amusing. You'll see what I mean, soon! I've got a piece that's quite large, and not nearly enough.

Jeff

pegboardpic.jpg

So I just removed my old desk two days ago and bought a 4x8 piece of 5/8 MDF board cut to 30x70. It took almost a year to finally make a larger space to work on, but I did it.

Next thing I make is a place to hold the granite slab for carving.

5c44da0ca1d4e_newworkspacesmall.thumb.jpg.17d9878ff7f087c9fcd107f8fb2d114e.jpg

16 hours ago, Buzzard2005 said:

piece of 5/8 MDF board cut to 30x70

Is 5/8" MDF thick enough to support its own weight, plus whatever you place on the tabletop? I think I would have used some 2"x1"(42mmx19mm dressed) or 3"x1"(60mmx19mm dressed) around the edge to make sure it was rigid enough.

Disclaimer: I am well known in my family for over-building anything I make. So what if a carry case weighs more than the item it is protecting, it works! :lol:

13 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

Is 5/8" MDF thick enough to support its own weight, plus whatever you place on the tabletop?

It has worked so far, I don''t plan on putting anything heaver than what you see in the photo and a cup of coffee. I will be making a frame and real supports for it in the spring.