Jump to content
RockyAussie

Jewellery box prototype

Recommended Posts

This is the latest design I have come up with for the same customer I do the wedding ring boxes for. These are just a few pictures of some steps involved in making this one. I have now got an order for a run which I will take some more detailed pictures as I go along. There is a bit of 3d printing for the shell parts and tray dividers and a bit of laser work for cutting out the strawboard filler pieces and cutting knives still to be made.

1a.JPG

1aa.JPG

Note the pouch stud for closure and tab

1aaa.JPG

Might make an interesting bag design yet.

1aaaa.JPG

This pic below shows the base shell just printed with the hole for pouch stud later addition.

1b print base.JPG

Here all of the pla parts are shown after printing. Sorry I covered the 2 little dividers before remembering to take the picture. The shell closest on the bottom right is for the tray and note that there is holding slots incorporated for the dividers.

1bb all pla print parts.JPG

Here the tray has been leather covered and velvet base and sides installed. I am here only sliding the dividers in dry. Note there is a small gap in the velvet wall join I need to get better.

4c.JPG

4f.JPG

Showing velvet and foam joined and sliced to make good curves

4h.JPG

4i.JPG

The foam and dividers will be removed and glued in later after final measurements are taken.

4j.JPG

If you would be interested to see a more complete breakdown on how its made here let me know.

1c laser cuttin strawboard.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Impressive as ever!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW! That is amazing! I would really like to see the full process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First class work as normal from yourself brian

Once you have sorted out the prototypes, do you have a sub contractor for the actual 3D production or do it all yourself?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Brian, Great stuff there! well done. Would love to see the detailed process too.:thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you must be an alien Brian. With everything else you have going on you find the time to do stuff like this! I wish I had half your drive. Fantastic stuff. Well done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, HaloJones said:

Impressive as ever!

Thanks HaloJones ...always trying.

 

11 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

WOW! That is amazing! I would really like to see the full process.

If the leather for the job ever gets here I will. So far its gone from NSW past me to Mackay and back down to Brisbane and at present....????

 

11 hours ago, chrisash said:

First class work as normal from yourself brian

Once you have sorted out the prototypes, do you have a sub contractor for the actual 3D production or do it all yourself?

No I do all of the printing here on my old Prusa i3. I have not yet heard of anybody around Rockhampton doing any 3d production yet. I think I may have a go at building something along the line of a larger Ultimaker style  printer one of these days if I can find the time. Makes more sense that the bed does not have to shuffle around doing the x and y with all of the weight and inertia etc.

 

10 hours ago, jimi said:

Hi Brian, Great stuff there! well done. Would love to see the detailed process too.:thumbsup:

Thanks jimi. Will do asap.

 

9 hours ago, toxo said:

I think you must be an alien Brian. With everything else you have going on you find the time to do stuff like this! I wish I had half your drive. Fantastic stuff. Well done.

Mostly it helps to have a patient wife.:wub:

I forgot to make a mention in the last picture I posted of my big/little laser above pointing out that that it has cut all the strawboard for 5 of these boxes. The little yellow button things are things I printed to hold 9x2mm circular magnets. They make it a lot easier to grab off of the job and collect and distribute around over the metal bed. It would be a large advantage to also have a vacuum bed set up to hold the work but that's just another project waiting to happen. This picture below shows one of the spots where the strawboard gets used to keep things level with the leather and another for covering with leather as in the top and bottom.

2 leather attached tab.JPG

3b grosgrain in .JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow.  I go away Friday morning for a weekend at a Retreat center and come back to this.  You do amazing design and production work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks very nice. 

Personally I would have gone with a covered snap as closure for such a luxury item, though the button stud is nice too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am dumbfounded.  It is absolutely amazing.  I am not worthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, dikman said:

Brian, I'm gobsmacked! You never cease to amaze me.:specool:

Thanks dikman, My customer thankfully was also amazed ...enough to pay and order a stack more anyways.:spoton:

8 hours ago, Tugadude said:

I am dumbfounded.  It is absolutely amazing.  I am not worthy.

Thanks for the compliment but I believe you are more than worthy myself.:wub:

8 hours ago, robs456 said:

Looks very nice. 

Personally I would have gone with a covered snap as closure for such a luxury item, though the button stud is nice too.

 

Thought about that but I thought...tooo common and the stud will stand the test of time as well I think.

9 hours ago, Scoutmom103 said:

Wow.  I go away Friday morning for a weekend at a Retreat center and come back to this.  You do amazing design and production work.

Thanks @Scoutmom103 I can only say ....That's what they pay me to do.:wave:

 

21 hours ago, thefanninator said:

Nice work! 

Thanks mate, I just checked your insta and have to say you got some pretty good looking stuff yourself now days.:thumbsup:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow quality work. Not really my colour but lol.

Very very tidy and totally professional work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, noobleather said:

Wow quality work. Not really my colour but lol.

Very very tidy and totally professional work.

Thanks @noobleather I sorta like that colour myself. Wouldn't wear it though if ya know what I mean:whistle:

The customer"s ordered colour is a pale grey leather with the pale pink lining. The grey matches up with the ring boxes I make for her.- https://www.amonie.com.au/products/light-grey-leather

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

Thanks @noobleather I sorta like that colour myself. Wouldn't wear it though if ya know what I mean:whistle:

The customer"s ordered colour is a pale grey leather with the pale pink lining. The grey matches up with the ring boxes I make for her.- https://www.amonie.com.au/products/light-grey-leather

 

Wow the quality of your work really shines on that website. I read that the customers get custom monograming done on them as well,do you do that as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2019 at 9:19 AM, noobleather said:

Wow the quality of your work really shines on that website. I read that the customers get custom monograming done on them as well,do you do that as well?

Yes I do. I have one little Kingsley machine that is just about set up permanently for doing them. As they get monogrammed after they are made, I had to print/make a special locating block that allows me to get the pressure down correctly. Here's a couple pics  show what I mean -

Mon1.JPG

Mon3.JPG

Mon8C.JPG

Mon8d.JPG

Mon9.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW! You really do "Do It ALL" I like the monogramming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have just been up to visit Brian at his awesome workshop this week. And I have to say the quality of workmanship that goes into these is second to none. Brian has peaked my interest and motivation 10 fold. Thanks Brian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...