• Leatherwork Specialty
    carving
  • Interested in learning about
    suppliers
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?
    search engine

Recent Profile Visitors

16,627 profile views
  1. TIghten the top tension? I would have thought maybe reduce bottom tension, due to increased diameter ...
  2. I'm not sure I exactly followed this, but I think we're basically saying the same thing in different words. http://www.jlsleather.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Holster_Theory.pdf
  3. Four years later, still the same conversations going on, so just marking this one. Making a pattern for a curved (or flat backed) pancake holster might take a little thought, and maybe even an extra sheet of paper or two. But it is done. Most of the ones who only make those "50/50" pancakes are generally just not willing to think it out to do it otherwise. This is standard answer in today's world, though -- just blame the wearer. Don't like the crap leather you got sent? You aren't creative enough. Sewing machine won't stay adjusted? You aren't doing it right. Holster is tight on the belt? You did break it in. Blahblah. I'm far from done - always laying out something. But here's a pic of a holster which is made from paper patterns. -- one for the front, one for the back. Retention is virtually the same whether the holster is in your hand or on your belt and cranked down. Slots are move IN (yes, IN closer to the firearm) than a "normal" pancake, taking less room on your belt, making easier to conceal, wears longer due to less "flexing" of the leather on and off the belt. Unlike so many in today's sea of marketing poo, I dont really feel the need to go make a video of something when someone else has already done that quite well. You want to SEE this being done --- formed pancake style holster from a paper pattern, precut parts before beginning - see Sam Andrews' view of that (well done, I say). There is no need for another video. Oh, incidentally, the holster Sam makes here is a lined holster, too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFsXw3gabqk#t=16
  4. Example? No... you'd have to google it, or some such. I'm not talking about a bench top model here.
  5. In fact, this underside "split" often IS "tooled".. to make fniished splits or embossed leathers. Course, we're talking TONS of pressure in a press, not a mallet.
  6. You may be confused about what "suede" is. Not all suede is chrome tanned. When [what you are calling] vegetable tanned leather is leveled (split) the underside which remains is "sueded", but still vegetable tanned. More often, referred to as a "split". If you make holsters from a single layer of tooling leather, then one side (usually the inside) is "sueded". Lining the holster with a sueded split would make it thicker, heavier, but still "nappy" on the inside. So, back to the original question.. can you tool "suede".. then yes, you can if it's vegetable tanned.
  7. When people "cold call" me, or fill my mail box (electronic or paper) with stuff I didn't ask for, they have cut their own throat. Even if it's something I intend to buy at some point, theyhave just succeeded in making sure I will get it from someone OTHER than them. My neighbor's son sells insurance. But not to me. Guess he figured since I like his dad that was "permission" to send me crap. Since i"m ALREADY a W/C user, then a guy could appreciate a call from them sayin 'hey, we got some stuff here you might like".. or maybe a flyer in my next package. But the mediacom "area representative" I didn't ask to come to my door got asked questions for an hour and a half and then told we werent' interested. He hasn't been back.. What -- that wasn't fun?
  8. HEY.. you slipped this one in and I didn't see it. ALWAYS enjoy seeing your work -- you always get such rich colors.
  9. I try not to have stuff just to have it.. so if I don't need it, I lilely don't have it As a rule, benches requiring braces can be done by angling the brace BACK and down from that front edge. Course, I'm only 5'10", so I can get away with that mostly.
  10. 2' deep seems quite popular, but I actually like mine nearly twice that. I like a couple feet (at least 18") for tooling in front of me, and about that again for tools. Having said that.. my bench is falling apart. Trying to put off replacing it until I find out if I'm getting re-located. I do like the rock set in like that ..
  11. You don't seem to be very good at this. I think that when selling on the 'black market' , fella sposedta NOT post in on the forums
  12. FWIW... Do with it as you see fit. This is 'as shown', and I'll be not making this until it's fixed. 1911fail.pdf
  13. Few years ago, I couldnt' get many to set right either... the 20's OR the 16's. So I complained at the tandy where I got them and the setter... STANDARD response... it's "operator error". But I'm quite tired of people selling me CRAP and then trying to tell me it doesn't work cuz I'm doing it wrong. Simple fix, while I was standing there, I walked over to shelf, picked up a pack of snaps and a brand new setter, threw 'em on teh bench they have right there (I think for 'classes') and said ."show me". 'Course, two tandy people couldn't get them to work, either. Turns out, tandy had changed the snap, but not the setter. Genius.
  14. Yep, that's what took me so long to get around to it, too. Kept thinkin' I know I aint gonna like it! On a strip this wide, should be able to carry THREE mags. The reasoning was .... same 1/1/2" slots as the pistol similar look to the pistol enough room between mags to clear each other (which I then widened a bit to help allow it to "flex' on the belt) simple construction But I can see where this would be a pain in the back, even though on your side. So I'll re-work it. Loops would allow room for tension screws and STILL not be this big.