leecopp

Members
  • Content count

    51
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About leecopp

  • Rank
    Member

LW Info

  • Interested in learning about
    old machines
  • How did you find leatherworker.net?
    google search

Recent Profile Visitors

1,493 profile views
  1. I have a couple fairly large (about 2" long) strong, guide magnets I got on the auction site. You could put one on each side of the "stack" and let the guide foot do its job for keeping things pretty. I did something very similar when I wanted to sew together two layers of mule tape ( crazy strong woven tape used to pull in pulling lines for electrical wire in conduit (i work for an electrical utility, and sometimes the spools get damaged and they just get tossed out)).
  2. Hey Guys, my 20u weighs right around 40 pounds (I just weighed it, the bathroom scale groaned). most of my cast iron heads are in the 50-60# range. The squared edges of the 20u make the grip a little tougher for me to carry with one hand. Please lift safely, lots of stories about busted toes from machines that slip. I can see a day where doing the head swap won't be so trivial for me. Perhaps an Alton Brown Fried Turkey style derrick ? Best of luck. Lee in Florida .
  3. Here is another option for squeezing an industrial size machine onto an domestic treadle. Photos and idea with permission of Bruce Day. Simple axle and sheeves move the drive outside of the the frame More Pictures at https://sites.google.com/site/oldironmachines/home/bruce-days-treadle-mod Sorry about the huge pictures ... Lee
  4. The 3/16 -32 mounting hole mr greg identified above accepted a #10 -32 on my seiko stk 8bld3 . Seemed like a very nice fit. Equivalent.. dont know. Easier to find for me.
  5. Hi All, Getting my timing reset from previous owner was indeed tedious. I was also impeded by contact issue. Ultimately resolved after much fussing about. Thanks Uwe for the clarifying photos. Lee
  6. The treadle plate looks to have been made for a wooden pitman. It is pretty easy to make a hybrid. e-friend bernie describes the process at : http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachineshop/hybridpitman/hybridpitman.html I personally have taken a two part motor control rod (pitman?) and clamped onto the stub a shortened treadle pitman and bent a loop to fit over the treadle plate stub. Not pretty, but it worked well and only required a hammer and a vice. Lee
  7. Cool find. Here is a shot of the motor clutch that came on my 21w180. It is a Wheeler Wilson Clutch with a 1890s patent.. Looks like the harp from a domestic machine attached to a wooden frame. .
  8. lots of bobbin winder tips from weavers on youtube like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vNEcI6c1B8 lots of interesting details
  9. Ok, I tried both... spooled off a bit, then rewound some on some kind of factory spool from the antique mall up in georgia (looks like a shuttle bobbin?). Used a wooden dowel in a power drill. I have to be more careful to keep it from puddling at the bottom. Looks like it working fine, sewing with no dropped stitches. thanks guys
  10. Whoops, just put on a different spool and everything is good. Ok, tossing the junky full spool. Thanks for comments. Lee
  11. Funny you mention that .. The label has "Old Heavy " penciled in ..
  12. Hey Guys, still having fun with my Seiko STH 8BLD3. I have a couple 16 oz spools of v92 poly of on my vintage stand which is about 2' tall. I have not used V92 much in the past and only on 4 or 8 oz spools. The black bonded poly (full, came with the Seiko) appears to be recent vintage and and does not unspool easily. The thread is fairly stiff and feels like it is breaking loose as it comes off, and drags quite a bit as it comes over the shoulder of the thread. It causes a crazy high "pre-tension". My first working solution was to improvise a thread guide another foot above thread stand. This reduced the angle of the pull off the spool and yields a much reduced pull tension. Seems to be working. Any thoughts? Junky thread (I had been using dabond)? Lee in Florida
  13. Hey CD Welcome to the 78 Club .. I now have a 78-1 and 78-3 and cannot tell any difference between (just visual side by side, not detail examination). Mine works well with the standard 31-15 knee lift mechanism.. It dropped right into a 31-15 treadle-power-treadle table. I have done a lot of piecing with mine and it works great. Very capable machine. I have not found a live source for the feet. Yes, it does handle heaver thread than the 31-15. What is the metal cylindrical chunk above the stitch length adjuster? Thread lube pot? Where did you find your replacement shuttle. I found replacement needle plate on the online auction site. I wonder what the little cutter under the needle plate is meant to do? Got some pictures of my 78-1 at: https://sites.google.com/site/oldironmachines/home/singer-78-1 Happy Day Lee
  14. I think it is the rotating mass of the huge handwheel that smooths out the compression resistance of the vibrating foot during the material feed part of the cycle. You can easily feel the resistance change with the lighter handwheels in place. LIke pushing a dolly that has a wheel with a flat spot, or a light daysailer trying to punch through a short chop. WIth this rig the treadling is pretty darn smooth. This combination also has good contact on the belt drive surface , so slipping is not a problem. Lucky to have the spare 42-5 hanging around. I kinda like the multi-generational aspect of the setup, treadle, handwheel , machine, probably near 100 years start to finish! I can frequently start sewing no handed and can sew as slow as 2 stitches per second under foot power. looks like 2 stitches per treadle cycle. Having fun in Florida Hey Uwe. Thanks for the stitch gauge pdf. easy to use. file is at http://docs.uwe.net/SLG.pdf Lee
  15. Colt, those are some fine looking bags. Lee