nstarleather

Average Price for Genuine Ostrich? Been offered some...

Hey folks...as you might know a lot of "deals" come across my desk.  I've been offered a lot of tan genuine Ostrich  hides (not legs).  I've not bought ostrich before on a larger level.  I've checked ebay and they have full hides at $225-$250ish and others at $400-$500.  The square foot looks to cost like $17-$30 per foot?

No idea of the "grade" but they would be coming from a handbag factory.

Anyone have any experience? Or market for these?  

I'm asking with the end of possibly using it as well as posting for sale on over in the sale section (as usually as at a better deal than the "going rate").

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

Edited by nstarleather
Uploaded Swatch pictures

I get requests every once in awhile for ostrich cases..  Ie: i just got in two black hides  yesterday about 17 sq feet each for some stuff people want made up for christmas. You might have to sit on them awhile before you an move them, depending how many you get and how good of deal you get so you can get your money out....

17 minutes ago, leathersmyth said:

I get requests every once in awhile for ostrich cases..  Ie: i just got in two black hides  yesterday about 17 sq feet each for some stuff people want made up for christmas. You might have to sit on them awhile before you an move them, depending how many you get and how good of deal you get so you can get your money out....

What did those two hides cost you?  

nrk   

depends on how they were tanned, the source (brand)
mostly, what I've seen so far on #1 grade and good tannage ostrich skins ~350-450$ per one skin.

get more info on your deal )

So I pulled the trigger...will probably be seeing how good the quality is soon!

2 hours ago, leathersmyth said:

They were $650 for the two..

Cool so $19-$20 per foot.  Keep an eye out, I'm thinking I can offer some savings from that when I list them.

YinTx   

Just got some Ostrich legs for $12 each.  Neat stuff.  Thinking wallets, watch straps, inlays, etc.  Could probably do a belt with overlapping seams.

YinTx

1 hour ago, YinTx said:

Just got some Ostrich legs for $12 each.  Neat stuff.  Thinking wallets, watch straps, inlays, etc.  Could probably do a belt with overlapping seams.

YinTx

That sounds like a deal! My dad still carries his Ostrich leg business card case going on 10+ years.   Looks like hides are like $19-$30 per foot depending on quality.

OLDNSLOW   

all one color or will you have white and brown and will you be selling by whole hides only?  I would like to get a few feet to use on some holsters if smaller sections go on sale!

2 hours ago, OLDNSLOW said:

all one color or will you have white and brown and will you be selling by whole hides only?  I would like to get a few feet to use on some holsters if smaller sections go on sale!

Probably whole hides, I think just the color of the swatch.  If I have trouble moving them I might consider pieces.