JHobbs

Wont be buying from SLC again

11 posts in this topic

Purchased there HERMANN OAK PREMIUM VEG TAN BELT BEND 7-8 OZ at $159.00, I expected to get something close to "A grade" since its labeled premium.  I was surprised to find several holes and blems in this piece.  Customer service wasn't concerned at my dissatisfaction either.  You can only skin this sheep once, I will just have to find another supplier. I give them 1 star.

"Customer service wasn't concerned at my dissatisfaction" 

I have to say that this has never been the case in my dealings with SLC. Sure there has been a few posts here and there that discuss SLC's idea of A or B grade H.O., but they have always worked out any issues over the phone without hesitation. Just my two pennies. 

Yeah, I had a #1 grade pre-cut that was a #2 at best and they just refunded the entire cost.

Maybe they are better with Jersey folks or firefighters? 

I gave up on that store a while back. Wont get into the details but there are better options (price/service/billing).

On 3/18/2017 at 5:43 PM, MADMAX22 said:

I gave up on that store a while back. Wont get into the details but there are better options (price/service/billing).

Any you would recommend.

I don't the cost as long as it is worth it quality wise, but I get better grades from Hobby Lobby than I did with SLC. Maybe I will call back and try to talk to someone else.

That's exactly what I told them on more than one occasion.  'Look - you could supply ALL my tooling leather.  I don't mind PAYING premium as long as I'm GETTING premium.'

I thought maybe I'd pay the extra down there to avoid stocking and storage, but I spent enough hours ordering and returning hides that it just wasn't worth the time and trouble.  Easier to just call Hermann Oak... couple weeks you got very nice leather, much better price, and about 75% off the shipping charges.

On 3/19/2017 at 1:43 AM, MADMAX22 said:

definitely

1 hour ago, JHobbs said:

Any you would recommend.

Wickett & Craig for the leather

the rest - depends on what you want

Wicket and Craig, goliger,hide house, maverick for one's and twos, hermann oak directly if you can float the minimum. 

How's SLC for shipping, normally?

I ordered some of their remnants and a utility belly on Wed after business hours, they packaged it at 3:52 yesterday afternoon and it hasn't even been picked up by the Post Office yet.  Is this going to sit on their dock until next week?

ETA: USPS took delivery at 8pm, so they should've picked it up yesterday.  Scheduled for Monday delivery.

Edited by JimTimber

12 hours ago, JimTimber said:

How's SLC for shipping, normally?

I ordered some of their remnants and a utility belly on Wed after business hours, they packaged it at 3:52 yesterday afternoon and it hasn't even been picked up by the Post Office yet.  Is this going to sit on their dock until next week?

ETA: USPS took delivery at 8pm, so they should've picked it up yesterday.  Scheduled for Monday delivery.

Don't go by that type of tracking information, it is always inaccurate regardless of who you are purchasing from.  I have placed orders with SLC that indicated that the Postal Service hadn't picked up the package yet after 2 days and had it in my mailbox 2 days later; I get the same thing with Amazon and everywhere else.