Rune

Motorcycle seat finnish?

Rune   

Hello! New to this forum tonight :-)

My small brain is aching after watching dying and finishing-videos on youtube. I find it hard to get straight answers, so I make an attempt here.

I have just finished my first seat. (Se Picture). First i used acrylic antique leatherstain(Fiebings), then supershene (Eco-flo). Is this enough for a motorcycleseat in use in sun,rain and even in snow sometimes? Can or should I use some leather wax on top of supershene?

Rune

seat.jpg

I finish my seats with resolene then use kiwi nuetral.  Give kiwi a try.  

Rune   

Thanks! Can I use resolene on both ackrylic and oil-dye?

I only use oil dye... so i can just speak for its success with that. But i dont see why it wouldnt.  Do a search on forum bout resolene and im sure someone will have already addressed that topic. Good luck

Rune   

Thanks! I am using oil-dye too. :-)

I have tried many different finishes for seats. My personal bikes all sit outside under motorcycle covers and I've had more than one seat rot away by trying different products to finish / protect the seats. I've had the most success with the following combination. I thoroughly coat the leather with neatsfoot oil two or three times before I tool the piece. Coating both sides of the leather. I let the neatsfoot oil dry completely then tool the seat. After all tooling and dyeing are complete I use Kiwi neutral shoe polish to finish the seat. Then I use Kiwi mink oil to condition after the seat has been on the bike for awhile. I try to apply mink oil often maybe every 6 weeks or so.  After the mink oil is absorbed hit it with neutral shoe polish and it'll be nice and shiny like a new penny. 

Rune   

Thanks for the answer, Horseshoe :-)