JLSleather

Cuz taxes didn't suck enough ...

What are we doing about the EVER INCREASING number of states requiring tax collection on "out of state" sales?  First of Feb (19) adds some more.  You Alybammy folk, I'm talkin' bout the revenuers ;)

Yes, I know many will put their head in the sand and ignore it.. I mean the actual businesses.  Really not necessary to reply to say "i'm a hobby, so I act like I didnt' get any money from it". 

I'm not the ignore the issue guy, but I'm also not the global conglomerate with teams of tax lawyers to handle all that in my absence. 

I don't know what we're going to do about it but I do know it is just another batch of red tape that will drive some small businesses out. Too much paper work, too many different rules and rates in the different states and counties/cities within the states....frustrating to say the least. 

And you though us a nasty sods for taxing your Tea, how things change in 200 years

Seem to remember they took all of our mineral rich real-estate at the same time...

:crazy:

Just kidding guys, some of my best friends are American ;)

H

Well, much of it is based in the same old HYPE provided by "stores" and retailers about how they have "overhead" and other expenses "legitimate" for jacking up the prices of their often sub-standard "goods".  Basically, locals don't want you buying online crap tax free (and now days often free shipping too) because then you might buy less of THEIR crap!  And some are willing to spend CRAZY money "lobbying" to make sure you can't do that.  Because 'use tax' wasn't good enough?

I have no objection to "buy local".. if the charge is legit. But don't tell me about your "fancy smancy" lease payments, or franchise fees, your new car payment, blahblah.. all the "reasons" your $2 crap costs $14.  I know $2 stuff when I see it ;)  If I'm buying in another state, it's because the locals either don't have what I need, or what they have is a sub-par version of what I need.

But bottom line is, here we are.  I guess the tax guys and the lawyers gonna make more money (again), I just don't have the time to keep up on the way-too-regular changes.

Two things you can't get way from Taxes and Death, that's right they have a tax on that to.

kgg

I don't know about the USA but in England the shops are closing up left right and center, meaning the revenue to the local council in what we call rates is well down , so strong efforts now to tax the online establishment who have had quite a easy time up to now to pay there fair share, 

Perceived value as you say can be just great marketing; and not a guarantee of quality, and cheap prices can be high quality if labour and other manufacturing costs are very low

21 hours ago, VYO said:

Too much paper work, too many different rules and rates in the different states and counties/cities within the states

99 counties in Iowa, but fortunately most of them have nearly identical tax rates.  And it isn't "bad" compared to some.  But we're one of those beginning to apply tax on purchases that didn't have that before. 

Somehow, the people that other people were ignorant enough to elect got the idea that YOUR job is making sure THEY get paid.  They seem to know what they want, problem is they think YOU should pay for it :rofl:

Oregon voted and won against a sales tax but we still have to do taxes for the other states who voted for it. Such is life - death and taxes, no way around either.

You can sum it all up with just one word.... AMAZON