Blackey Cole

Computer Drawing Software For Making Leather Patterns

I usually just measure 'em up and draw 'em in. Takes a bit, though, so I don't get too concerned about the back end ;)

SR9.jpgTIP:  If you know PS and / or IL, guy might could create a new drawing 11" x 8 1/2", transparent background, at 80 px/inch, and makes it fairly easy to draw.  Digital graph paper with 1/8" squares.  You talented folks likely work in something more like 300 resolution :rolleyes2:

You might recognize this Ruger.  Exact position of the safety and/or take down lever not critical, but I do like the port in the right place, and the mag release at least quite close to right.

I'm using CorelDraw. Maybe because I've been using it for more than 10 years and not only to work with the leather, it seems to me that this is the best option.

4 hours ago, ABHandmade said:

I'm using CorelDraw. Maybe because I've been using it for more than 10 years

CorelDraw is pretty slick, appears to be efficient to use.  The guy who used to do our vinyl logo stuff uses it, sends it right to his cutter.  If I didn't already have PS and some knowledge of how to use it, I would likely get CorelDraw.  Shoot, I thought that 10 years ago -- could  have had it mastered by now!

10 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

CorelDraw is pretty slick, appears to be efficient to use.  The guy who used to do our vinyl logo stuff uses it, sends it right to his cutter.  If I didn't already have PS and some knowledge of how to use it, I would likely get CorelDraw.  Shoot, I thought that 10 years ago -- could  have had it mastered by now!

I happened to work with many vector editors, but CorelDraw became my choice. The fact that in CorelSuite there is also PhotoPaint for working with raster graphics is also a huge plus. I use both from time to time in my main job. Therefore, when a year ago I suddenly decided to do leather work, the question of choice was simply not standing by me :)

in the how to section i made a little crude walk through of my inkscape adventure in making a 50/50 pancake for a 5" 1911 if you care to take a gander.