Hillbilly tim

Dropdown roller guide

5 posts in this topic

Anyone using the drop-down roller guide on their heavy machines like the class 4 and 5100's? I like the idea, even had been considering making something along those lines before i found it but, i just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I see some versions have an accessory flat guide that is interchangable with the roller, any advantages? Ideas, comments, stories?

thx

Yep - works good.  Wanna see why?  Couple short videos on this over there at the 'observation' link below -- one about why I didn't like the one, and one about mounting the drop down version.

Otherwise, yep -I use the drop guide, and yep I think it was worth installing it.

yup gots me one of them things to, works real good, better than the original device. 

Posted (edited)

One of the commonly used drop-down (or swing-down) guides is the KG-867. There's an extended version of that edge guide available called KG-967, which has about 20mm (3/4") more reach. The two guides overlap in the range of motion, and the overlap range places the roller guide right next to the needle on the 441 class machines. If you have a need to place the guide in front of the needle (e.g. for holding a tape folder or binder), you'd want to get the extended KG-967 version. 

The Cobra Class 4 (also TechSew 5100, I think) already have mounting holes drilled and tapped on the back of the machine, so that makes installation easier. If your machine does not have pre-drilled holes you'll have to drill and tap mounting holes. Either way, you'll need an adapter bracket like a KB-205 for a proper installation.

The only real issue with using the swing-down edge guide on a 441 class machines is that the standard manual foot lift handle gets in the way. I made an extension handle to get around that. Just something to keep in mind. 

Here's a short video showing what the installation might look like on a Cowboy 4500: 

Edited by Uwe

Thank you for your insight and information. 

Bro. Timothy.