DV8DUG   

I am making a harness/blouse and I have a 1/4" strip of leather between two grooves as a border on the pieces. I wish to retain the pale look of the veg tan on this strip and dye the rest to a dark brown. What is the best way of doing this. If I need to post a picture or two to clarify please just ask.

DV8DUG   

Here's the two grooves on either side of the raw veg tan strip...

P1190495.JPG

Rockoboy   

I am hoping "those who know more" will be along soon, because I am also interested in this idea.

What about using your finish topcoat (whichever finish you prefer) over the top of the whole item after dye has been applied?

This relatively straightforward.  Once you've got the grooves that demarcate the lighter colored lines, you use a relatively good quality smallish artist brush that is lightly loaded with dye and paint the border areas.  If there is too much dye on the brush it can bleed through the leather to areas where you do not want it.  There's a recent video by Serge Volken that covers background dying and brushes - what you're looking to do is similar.  Al Stohlman suggests loading your brush and then dying a bit away from the border to use up some of the dye and then going for the edges after some dye is depleted.

-Bill