YinTx

New Project in progress: Music Case

You tease the fish-o, you get the bite-o.  ;D

YinTx   
On 8/10/2017 at 0:47 PM, Grey Drakkon said:

Oh, yeah, those edges just look like total crap.  --__--  Seriously beautiful work, as always.  Also, you followed the key rule, which is don't bleed on the artwork.  (floors, clothes, and fish are permissible.)

I'll take a photo of a not so good edge. :)  And I remembered that key rule, which I learned in the beginning when I was reading about stitching... at the time, I was thinking, "What are they talking about?"  I soon found out. :)  

The thumb seems a bit better, so I made a little progress today, now taking a break to let the forearms recover on ice.

YinTx

MusicCase8_12cLoRes.thumb.jpg.65e074e5e948724979b9f7603b825c7a.jpg

MusicCase8_12bLoRes.thumb.jpg.9ad4a13a0cd6c34ce64ee7eb58fdc3a9.jpg

YinTx   
On 8/10/2017 at 0:47 PM, Grey Drakkon said:

Oh, yeah, those edges just look like total crap.  --__--  Seriously beautiful work, as always.  Also, you followed the key rule, which is don't bleed on the artwork.  (floors, clothes, and fish are permissible.)

As promised, a pic of the not so great edge, caused by trying to trim the suede only due to putting the liner in after the leather has been cut to size.

MusicCase8_13LoRes.thumb.jpg.0d5ec4582743a34c84eca3001d2be79f.jpg

Here is the last edge, dyed and ready for burnishing:

MusicCase8_13bLoRes.thumb.jpg.0b429f26427dc2603cd332d01f649074.jpg

Getting closer to finishing!

YinTx

This looks great so far and looking forward to more (non gore) pictures.

One of the reasons I stared wearing vinyl gloves when sticking was to keep the blood in the glove and off the leather!!! Recently stitched a lot and had a great pokes and scraps but luckily no gushes.  Interestingly enough the tacky stuff I was trying on my fingers may have helped slow any bleeding... just  theory and I won't intentionally test it but will keep an eye on it. I now much prefer no gloves as I can "feel" what I am doing better. 

The idea of using a rubber block on the back die at times is brilliant.

Heal well and fast.

Yin, if that's the worst part of the entire bag, then you don't have much to worry about. ;) Looks like it's really shaping up!

Rockoboy   

To catch the awl or needle coming through the leather, I use a cork block that is about 3 inches long by one and a half inches thick and 2 inches wide. Its a painters sanding block. Its so much better than using a wine cork, although ... not as good obtaining it!

Only one "stab-incident" so far ... and that was because I put my cork block aside for a moment!

Edited by Rockoboy
spell check chek cheque

YinTx   
On 8/14/2017 at 8:15 AM, plinkercases said:

This looks great so far and looking forward to more (non gore) pictures.

The idea of using a rubber block on the back die at times is brilliant.

Heal well and fast.

Was healing up just fine, and managed to send a needle into the same thumb yesterday.  :ranting2:

Interestingly, I don't tend to poke myself while actually putting the awl or a needle through the holes while stitching, but when something gets wonky and I am trying to untangle a thread or thread gets wrapped around something and snagged, that's when those lil buggers tend to inflict hatred into my digits.  I use the cork method when I know I have a difficult hole to make, has worked well for me.

Grey Drakkon,

Thanks for that.  I'm a bit concerned about the bar straps right now, they may be a wee bit too short.  Time will tell when I get the bar installed.  Might have to use some artistic license to accommodate it. :) 

Edges are all done, that bar is the last remaining bit...

YinTx

5 hours ago, YinTx said:

I use the cork method when I know I have a difficult hole to make, has worked well for me.

Maybe the problem is after uncorking the wine you gotta finish that before the stitching???:P

I use the crepe rubber blocks used for cleaning up the sandpaper. Where's the latest pics? :popcorn:

I guess that thumb is starting to look like a watering can:unsure:

Brian

YinTx   
4 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Where's the latest pics? :popcorn:

I guess that thumb is starting to look like a watering can:unsure:

Brian

haha, ya I just give it a shake when I need to dye some leather red. :)

latest greatest.. checking fit up.. not so great...will endeavor to do some artistic license to get better results...

YinTx

MusicCase8_16cLoRes.thumb.jpg.4174fca50e89f01d16017b9d9a229061.jpg

Tryin to get that edge to shine... time for some of that wine.

MusicCase8_16aLoRes.thumb.jpg.5fe5e7ae35d204a23732a24d2528c8e4.jpg

MusicCase8_16bLoRes.thumb.jpg.77a2851f6bb5f04aa88a24183dd1da81.jpg

Yin,

I'd give you a hand, if you were closer, since your poor thumb needs a break (not literally, don't take that as a suggestion, all the wound holes are enough). 

It's a shame your strap lengths aren't 'measuring up, but sometimes it's the "artistic fix" that makes the project (and don't tell anyone later about those issues, and they will never know the difference).

- Elizabeth

What is wrong with the strap lengths? Are they too long, too short or what? If too long maybe a leather tube over the bar might work. Its looking real nice to me at any rate.Brian

Its alright YinTx I found it. I'd say it looks a bit tight but best put some weight in and try before stitchin up. Just a thought I think you should put either some leather covers over the end of those clips or as I have done slice a bit of soft tube like as used in fish tank bubblers and slide that over the end. Will reduce the marks left on the veg when you take them off.

Lookin' good so far!  

Bill